Warning Cut Track needs adjustments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kc2hse, Aug 15, 2015.

1. kc2hse

kc2hse Registered

It seems that in the last build or two the cut track warning and then the obvious lost lap are way too touchy. Is there a way to adjust this easily? I think that the setting in the game needs to be fixed personally in the next build. If you're cutting corners then you should get the warning but if you lost control and slid through the grass and then get the cut track warning then something's wrong.

2. stonec

stonec Registered

It's up to the track maker to adjust the limits for each track, I doubt the algorithm for this has changed. It's a complex system with each track having around 10 cutting parameters and most modders haven't bothered to set it up properly.

3. coops

coops Banned

agree more track builders need to use this more. oh and if you don't have 2 wheels on the track then it's a cut.

4. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I totally agree with the OP. I do think that the algorithm has changed and is more likely to penalise when control is lost going wide and LOSING time. We have had many issues in our league with this. In another thread I asked for the possibility to turn this feature off in the server or offline. http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php?t=25798

It is not feasible to redo all the AIWs of tracks with good quality except for the AIW when you are hosting a race every 2 weeks with many other things to do as well.

Enviado desde mi SM-T530 mediante Tapatalk

5. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

So you want the program to know the difference between losing control and someone doing it on purpose? Good luck with that. If ISI does it, they'll be the first AFAIK.

6. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

It is ISI who wants the program to do that, not the OP.

The cut track has several parameters to decide whether surpassing track limits is due to an accident usually losing time or on purpose. It checks if time has been gained or lost, if the car spins and how much distance has been driven offtrack that I remember.

IMO there are too many parameters which end up with a mathematical formula that decides if it is a cut track. The problem of trying to cover too many hypothetical cases is that it makes it difficult to adjust.

However it is not correctly working in some cases and is giving penalties even when time is lost.
    In the tracks where we had problems we were using parameters copied from original ISI tracks.

I asked for info about this and ISI kindly answered. Maybe, after reading it, someone can play a bit with the different parameters in the gdb file and get a better compromise. I think it can be overriden in the rfm but for me it is typically easier to update the track. I have never edited the rfm file due to the lack of info of how to do it.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php?p=333108

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2015
  7. stonec

stonec Registered

ISI track parameters are generally quite good. It also depends how the track corridor (AIW) is set up where it starts counting cuts from. The way ISI tracks have done it, the corridor is so wide it only penalizes for blatant cuts. I think the system doesn't work well if the corridors limits are right next to the white line or curb, it's not meant for that kind of cut detection as in iRacing.

8. killerwatt

killerwatt Registered

I have had a cut track warning while on the straight at indy while avoiding a wreck so something is clearly wrong.

9. Josh.H

Josh.H Registered

10. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

No, that I know. I asked for it in another threas, as I said, but, sadly and as in too many cases no response or support. :(

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

11. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

That was not going tight in the last corner (close to the right hand wall) ? Cause Indy XPITIN.GMT sticks out onto the track there in ISI's version, kinda silly bug.

12. monoplazas_RR

monoplazas_RR Registered

Yes, you can. In RaceRfactor we are publishing our latest versions of F1 tracks with disabled cut code.

13. Josh.H

Josh.H Registered

If it's not too much trouble would you mind detailing the process?
    Thanks

14. killerwatt

killerwatt Registered

No, it was on the back straight of the oval. while running an offline indy 500.

15. monoplazas_RR

monoplazas_RR Registered

Add this code to GDB (if already exists, change it):

CutLeavingThresh = 100 // Threshold for leaving track
    CutJoiningThresh = 100.0 // Threshold for re-joining track
    CutPassPenalty = 0.40 // Penalty for each driver we pass (this is an inaccurate indicator)
    CutTimeRatioMax = 0.95 // Start penalizing even if we lose 5% of time
    CutTimeRatioPenalty = 0.40 // Penalty for fraction of time savings
    CutSecondsSaved = 0.675 // Penalty for each second saved
    CutWorstYawPenalty = 1.5 // Penalty for staying under control
    CutDirectionalPenalty = 1.0 // Penalty (actually reward) for being in wrong direction
    CutWarningThresh = 100.75 // Threshold for warning (or disallowance of lap)
    CutStopGoThresh = 100.0 // Threshold for immediate stop/go penalty

16. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Anyone try this with LESS than going all out at 100 for the threshold settings ? It would be better to simply make it LESS sensitive than make it impossible to ever cut a corner.

( Old thread, I know )

17. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

its much easier to place "sleeping policeman" in cut areas than trying to setup aiw cut zones

18. stonec

stonec Registered

19. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I agree.

This algorithm is not very intuitive to tune up and seems to fail occasionally even when the track limits are correctly setup.

It is easier to put some bumps to avoid cutting

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk