Tires Seem to Lock

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jyscalus, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Jyscalus

Jyscalus Registered

Hello all, glad to be here.

Ok, this will be hard...

I have a problem which i hope someone could help me with. I have been trying out rFactor 2, and must say, i thinks at times it is the best driving "game" i have ever experienced. I know it a driving sim, but the reason i say game is i have never played a sim before.

I have a Logic3 Tri Format GT wheel, and think i may be having problems with it. Not the greatest wheel i know, but that brings me to my point.

Is this wheel acceptable with rFactor? I know its very cheap $50, but i am trying to get something better, its just my location, the shops don't stock anything except
    Xbox, Playstation wheels.

The problem i am having is, no matter which car or track i choose the car seems to have horrible turn. What i mean is, the wheel only has 180 deg rotation, and i am worried that this is what is causing the car to slide and tires squeal.

It always happens when i turn the wheel past a certain point. No matter if i take the corner slowly, or fast(ish), if i turn past a certain point on the wheel, It seems as if the cars wheels are locking up. If i turn the steering wheel any less, the car does not turn enough and will go off track or into the barrier. If i turn too much, the problem i am having surfaces and the wheels seem to be locking as explained and tires squeal. Even when exiting the pits, if i turn wheel, even doing 5km/h and turning, the tires seems as if brakes are holding the tires or something. I am not sure if i would need to change something in the ini, but have tried changing the steering lock in the garage, steering sensitivity, but with every car, the same result, so im thinking it has to be the Logic3 wheel, or something to change in the settings.

I apologize if this is basic stuff but i am completely new to racing sims.

The reason i am confused is, i have watched Youtube vids of other people racing and cannot see them having the same problem on the same track with the same car, albeit i have no idea what wheel they are using, or what their settings are.

I think the problem is one of these:

1) I am not driving the car correctly through the corners.
    2) The wheel is not working correctly with rFactor due to being to cheap(lol).
    3) The car / wheel is not setup correctly.
    4) Something in the ini needs to be changed.

I honestly have no idea which of these is my problem, they could all be for all i know. All i DO know is i really cant get enough of rFactor and hopefully there is somebody out there who can give me some advice.

Thank you very much for any help.

2. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Its a strange one.
    In the controller menu are you seeing a sudden spike on the graph that correllates with the point where you get the sudden skid?
    Are you putting some rubber down? (get AI on the track with Real road accellerated and press Crtl X and have a coffee).
    Is it the brkes locking? In my game the very first brake application always goes to 100% no matter how gentle I touch them so I do it in the pit box.

3. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

You could try to set the Ingame wheel rotation to 180°, too and reduce the steering lock in the car setup section (Ingame). Maybe it helps, but doesn`t expect something magic with this wheel...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2015
  4. Maug

Maug Registered

Honestly. If you had had the opportunity to test it with at least a properly set G25 you woudl realise that your current wheel, even if it not utter crap and probably good for kids who want to play racing games, is too limited and you're missing it all. Your wheel has vibration feedback, it's nothing close to FFB, it's just vibrations. 180° is really short ratio, not helpfull to drive fast, you can steer really fast but the accuracy is horrible with such little steering lock, messing weight shifts is easy. rF2 is the only next gen sim so far(forget about those who claims they are next gen, they aren't, they are just marketting products for mainstream sheeps) so such a toy wheel doesn't really do it justice

5. Jyscalus

Jyscalus Registered

Thanks all for trying to help. I think after reading these answers, the solution would be to get a better wheel. I tried testing the brakes, and all the graphs show a smooth increase when the pedal is pressed or wheel turns. No sharp spikes. I have also made sure the wheel is set to 180 in game, but still. I'm pretty sure it's the wheel.

It's the worst with the karts. When turning into the corner the kart turns properly a quarter way in, then when I turn the wheel a little more, the car just seems to slide through the rest of the corner. I've tried at different speeds with the same result, which emphasises the point of not being able to drive fast with this wheel. It just sounds like tires are sliding.

After tweaking the settings to the best I can at the moment, I think it is "playable". I just think my tires will take a beating after a few laps from skidding.

Hopefully I'll get something better soon.

6. argo0

argo0 Registered

I have a G27. Haven't played much for a while but with the karts, I get the tyre scrubbing sound even at less than 10mph coming out of the garage. It doesn't sound right. Nothing to do with my wheel.

7. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

The other thing is that as RF2 is a sim you cant have significant wheel turn and throttle application. It just doesnt work in real life or RF2. The tyre will scrub and you will get understeer at turn entry or oversteer on exit.
    Games wont convey that.
    There is a wonderful metaphorthat Wlter Rorhl used, you imagine a piece of string tied from the bottom of the wheel to you throttle big toe. As you wind on lock you have to reduce power, as you increase power you have to wind off lock.
    Its probably very hard without FFB to feel the limits of appropriate slip angle where you have bite. Thats what you have to manage to go fast.

8. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

If you're new to racing sims don't be so quick to jump to the conclusion that you need a new wheel. Like already mentioned, play with steering ration in garage screen and you might end up with something that you can get used to. Put some seat time in, you might be surprised. ;)

9. Comante

Comante Registered

With the karts, your problem is probably driving style related, but I agree with the other: the most amazing thing of RF2 is to feel the FFB, as soon as you can, get a honest FFB wheel, you won't regret it.

10. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

The karts have no differential. That means you can not turn the kart without tire scrubbing. That's why the driver will lean outside the corner in order to unload/lift the inner wheels.
    In rF2 this leaning depends on speed and steering input and is really hard to get right especially with a wheel with less steering lock than the real thing.
    Conclusion: like others said get a proper FFB wheel.

11. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

The Logitech DFGT is made for playstation, but is 900 degree wheel and will work fine in rF2.

Are those carried by your local shops?

I use it myself and am quite happy with it. And yes, that is because I haven't used a higher priced wheel, but like I said... I'm happy with it.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Karts driven at speed require very little steering after the initial turn-in. Because you only have 180° steering to play with, it would be very easy to turn it too much and keep it that way, causing scrubbing (the front tyres sliding across the track). Something to remember is that if you focus on that, you will find people with 900° wheels still scrubbing through corners. There's just a natural tendency to think that because turning the wheel a bit makes the car turn a bit, turning it more will make the car turn more. And when the car stops turning as much as you want (understeer) turning the wheel more will help. It doesn't.

If this is your first sim this is likely not what you're used to, because most games don't do it properly.

Do you need a new controller? No. A lot of drivers, and some very fast ones, have wheels with 240° rotation (which might be more than you have, but is still a lot less than 4-500° many other drivers use) and can drive perfectly fine with it. It does take time to adapt to a change in steering rotation (up or down) and that's basically what you're doing by driving a more realistic game that punishes you for turning too much. If you concentrate on it and put hours of practice in you'll find you can get used to how you need to drive different cars to keep them turning as much as possible without overdoing it and scrubbing the tyres. It may not be as easy to 'feel' without FFB, but again there are a lot of drivers around with non-FFB wheels (some very expensive) who do a very good job of driving cars fast and being gentle on the tyres.

So a good, FFB, controller would help. But all you actually need is to recognise that it's not an issue as such, it's 'just' your driving habits that need to change. Actually that's very hard to do, but the first step is understanding what needs changing :)

But as others have mentioned, ignore the low speed tyre noises in the kart, that's just because of how a kart works. And in most (RWD) cars the fast way around a corner is some throttle application with slight steering input. Resist the urge to turn the wheel more, because it's rarely what you need.

If your inputs show up quite smoothly in the controller setup screen, your current controller will work fine.

13. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

My guess would be that the reason for your problrm is that you are not used to sims (going too fast to cornes), too fast steering (small steering lock), Bad forcefeedback (you don't feel when you are on the edge of grip)

There is this line in controller.json file, which might increase steering speed at slow speeds if not set to 0.

"Steer Ratio Speed":0,
    "Steer Ratio Speed#":"Speed at which low speed steering lock override ends (for pit navigation, units are meters\/sec, 0.0 to disable)",

14. Jyscalus

Jyscalus Registered

I have been reading these messages and practicing quite alot over the past few days, and have started to see a huge difference in my lap times.

I have started to notice what a huge difference rFactor is compared to anything else I have played. There is no comparison. I have also managed to find myself a different wheel. A Logitech Formula Vibration. An old wheel I know, and still only vibration, but the difference is huge. I can only imagine what a true FFB wheel plays like.

15. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I would recomend buying used driving force gt.

16. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I'm probably just a terrible driver, but I never cured my locking tires until I got a load-cell brake. Now, I almost never lock tires.

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

IMHO you're turning too much. This, in turn, is probably overheating the front tires and making them even less responsive.

18. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

And ffb wheel would help you to feel when you are turning enough.

19. Squeeekmo

Squeeekmo Registered

For now, turn the tyre sounds up so you can hear the fronts scrubbing.