Brand New Wheel...cant use it!

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Shamrock, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

After having a G25 for like 8 years. Bought a Thrustmaster T500RS today, and its useless.

Installed drivers, connected usb, did firmware 43, and then the wheel flies to the left, and stays there. Wont calibrate AT ALL. I fought it to the middle, fired up rf2, and it has like a 60 degree deadzone. I let go of wheel, and it goes 100% left.

I tried slow calibrating (connect usb while holding mode), and also tried re-centering (press start, select, and mode simultaneously). Continues to go left.

Already started a support ticket. But I was excited. Now deflated. :(

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Sounds odd to get a brick right out of the box. You sure you followed the instructions properly, dl'd the proper firmware?

3. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

Yep, suppose to install drivers, and do nothing until drivers ask to connect usb, then update firmware, then click ok after done, then reboot.

Using firmware 43 and driver 2.8.20.0.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015
  4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Did you first install it then run through setup menu before Firmware.

5. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

I did as instructed. It pre installs the drivers, then prompts you for firmware, then you are supposed to reboot. After reboot, it finishes installing drivers.

Dont worry about drivers, I have uninstalled them and re installed them once already. It appears like it never finishes calibrating.

6. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

Ive tried usb 2, usb 3, in 5 different ports, and my ps3. Its not even recognizing on ps3

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

have you another pc to test setup ?

8. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Sounds bricked. That sucks man.

9. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

Yes, I tried it on my laptop with Win Vista, nothing. :(

10. A.Driver

A.Driver Registered

Maybe try changing 'Force Strength=1000' to 'Force Strength=-1000' , sounds like the force-feedback is reversed .

11. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

Uhh, not in rf2, it wont recognize in the thrustmaster control panel!

12. Justy

Justy Registered

It really sounds like the wheel is faulty to me. Especially if it won't work on a PS3 which is literally just plug and play. Have you contacted Thrustmaster customer support to see if they can help you, or send you a replacement wheel?

13. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

Yes, I emailed them on July 29, still nothing. Just saying they are swamped because Win10.

In process of returning it. Then will buy a t300 and f1 wheel. Current best wheel they sell (t500 is discontinued). And is compatible with f1 addon. Brushless motor too. Just not as strong. Good really, the 500 is too strong.

14. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Are you convincing yourself here?

15. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

Not at all. Have you tried everything @ 100%? I cant turn it with one hand. And when it went left, it went with everything it had.

Im not concerned as long as I get that f1 wheel. I've had a steering wheel with 2 buttons for too long.

16. BlkJello

BlkJello Registered

I bought a t500 not too long ago and had the exact same issue when i would try to update the firmware. Halfway thru the supposed firmware update the wheel would crank over to the right and lock up. Even after reboot it would be a brick...totallly locked up. I had to unplug...uninstall all thrustmaster software...then reboot and run the drivers first....then plug the wheel in when asked too. Not before. And DONT update the firmware. Anyway it fixed it right up and it fine now. I thought that running the drivers alone would install the latest firmware anyway... maybe not. Tried to update the firmware on my sons computer with the same lock up results.

About the wheel being too strong....you should run the wheel at its 60% overall strength...1oo constant....100 periodic... 0 spring...0damper.

If you still have issues....if possible, install it on another computer and dont update the firmware. That should fix it up........ Now that i think about it, My bud had the same issue we had and he HAD to install it on another sys to straighten it out. And then once that was done..he put it back on his sys and it was fine.
    Hope this helps. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2015
  17. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

You couldnt run it at 60% strength, because Windows wouldnt recognize it. Whenever it freak out to the left, it was all it had, and slammed and stayed there.

I installed on 2 PCs and PS3 and got nothing. No matter, its already back at the place I bought it. Will be buying t300 rs within the week.

18. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

What a bunch of bullcrap. Now in the possession of a t300rs and it arrives dead, nothing AT ALL! All I get is the green light at the bottom, after I install drivers. It says "USB device not recognized". I had to use the bootloader method to upgrade firmware (wouldn't recognoze to upgrade), and still dead. I swear. I do love that f1 wheel, though.

Also tried my ps3 (in ps3 mode), nothing. I thought it might be my usb ports, tried plugging in my mouse, keyboard, and printer all of my various ports, works great.

Piece a crap. Im going Fanatec.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2015
  19. BlkJello

BlkJello Registered

Very sorry to hear that. Nothings worse than getting a new "toy" and it being borked....let alone 2 in a row. :(

20. Von Snipe

Von Snipe Registered

One question about USB port you did connect this on.
    Front USB ports or USB ports on back and mother board?

Front USB ports are "relayed" by wiring inside PC box and notable for slow througput and even errors.
    Try to plug directly to a USB port on your mother board instead.
    I have seen this solve other issues for friends.

Just my two eurocents.
    Hope it helps.