Race replay editing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RoboCAT10, Jul 30, 2015.

1. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I am interested in making race review videos for my rfactor AI races, and looking for some ideas or tips if anyone else has done this sort of thing before. I use to record sections or highlights of my race replay with FRAPS. I would then add these highlights onto Windows Movie Maker and create race graphics (lap counter) using their overlays. However I would like to make this a bit better with lap counter, driver position etc. On windows movie maker you could only do one text overlay at a time.

I am considering buying Adobe Premier, but before I do I want to know if anyone has done something like this before. What's the best way to make their own 'F1 like' race graphics in video editing program. Thought it would be fun to discuss.

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

i'm guessing a F1 hud should do wonders, there's prolly something avail in the plugins section, would greatly reduce your editing.

I use Sony Vegas, pretty happy with it but I think any 'pro' editor will do the job.
    Whatever editor you choose finding the right rendering settings is key. it can and will look awesome but it can be a tedious task finding out which settings are best for your output.

There's loads of camera angles in rf2 that can spice up your video's:
    http://legends-league.com/wiki/rf2Buttons

3. Emery

Emery Registered

Ditto on Sony Vegas.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

That link misses all the unassigned keys.

These are activated with mouse move and trackside cameras.

By far the most creative camera controls.

Use the aids :confused: >>> lol buttons to map them .........

;)

[​IMG]

5. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Yes absolutely, I downloaded Gerald's TV plugin. Unfortuently it doesn't work in replay mode, so defeats the purpose.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Another thing is you can get some interesting effects by trial and error by pausing or in replay hold stop then quickly scrolling between all cars using the edited camera view at that moment and just move the mouse around a little.

This can foreshorten subjects and give a whole different effect perspective and impression and it is faster then watching every car for a full lap.

7. TPG

TPG Registered

My friend and I used to do league videos..I use Vegas he always used Adobe Premier, both do a good job. I used a scrolling position graphic a few times but it was a pain so I quit doing that and mainly stuck to graphic .png overlays i made with Adobe Fireworks, if you're creative you could probably replicate the same 'f1 style' overlays fairly easy..

..check out the YouTube link under my avatar and you can find many examples of race highlight videos..

8. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I got this idea from another forum, but would it be possible to edit the race replay UI. At the moment it's very standard, and a little ugly for broadcast purposes. If we could manage to change this to something more HUD like, that could work?

9. Stenne

Stenne Registered

10. Stenne

Stenne Registered