Windows 10 made me a faster driver.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MapleHamwich, Jul 30, 2015.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Did you have a Red Bull before playing? Ate some spinach perhaps? :p

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Exactly the sort of feeling you get when you reduce input lag. Did you run windowed mode before?

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya, sounds like lowered input lag, or maybe even much higher framereates (especially if prior framerates where under 60).

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Well gee a new OS and driver install it is totally possible

Changes made to NVCP and NVi alone, it boggles the mind

hehehe Spin ;)

And you right I dont care what people tell me said it for 4 years and you get put down.

ie: If you can't afford the best lower settings even a bit more for better fps = better feel

But you get told "Nah you making heat, wasting electricity ( rolleyes) and fps and it will tear ( but you are just too dumb to see it......... Oh and btw it is not better to drive you are imagining it " loool

HOGWASH not in every single situation, all that theory does is dissuade people from trying something that may work for them. !

and I guess I cant run rF2 smooth at my max fps in FSW while I watch a VLC player in the corner ........................but I have and I do every day when I need to wait for drivers.

lool

I mean every topline online pro sim racer must use the same settings ....................right

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015
  5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Some people just refuse to acknowledge that input lag is a laptime killer. But this is a great example of someone no doubt stumbling on better setting that produce less lag. He already stated he isn't getting any more frames than he did before. So rendering extra frames he will not even see on his 60hz monitor isn't what helped him shave time.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

So why by a overclocking CPU at all.

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

New Fanatec firmware has different/opposite adjustment settings for linearity (on CSW v1). It could be that or some other setting on the wheel is more to your liking?

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Hey Noel I know what you say in practical theory is true. ;)

But i tried it again and again as you said to the letter and all I do is lap slower

I do not notice if it improves tearing, I can't see well enough to tell !!, ( think of all the people have less then perfect eyesight or old prescription glasses. :)

I guessing anyone on some sorts of medication, won't really notice the difference in steering either hey ? . hehehe

Then you got a lot that just don't care as long as they get the car around the track in one piece :)

I DO I swear that is why I run FSW, no vsnyc, no HDR, NVi 4xS AA ONLY ??? what ! and as Spin and I and others said oh 3 years ago, run 8AF, medium shadows and no blurring, everything else is maxxed out.

HDR espically cruels these settings for me, introduces , uneasy feeling in max. speed wheel to wheel lapping
    Worst of all is the jags it produces.

Keep in my mind I talk about Historic content yet to have the repackage.

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

+1

10. MapleHamwich

MapleHamwich Registered

It could very well have been an input lag factor related to my windows 7 install. I had some other weird issues I couldn't solve, like Windows Update breaking itself and no longer being able to get updates, and also breaking my audio (it would cut out after windows update stopped working). Weird stuff. Legal windows and everything, even several fresh installs. Must've been some weird issue with my motherboard and windows 7. No issues at all so far with Windows 10 though.

I'm so in love with rFactor 2 now. It's like I'm playing a completely different game. Hanging out slides in the skippy! That's unheard of for me, at least to this degree! I'm having so much fun, it's like a new game.

11. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Happy to hear it works better now.

Because of my bad english i am not sure, but i got a feeling that people were discussing whether fps above 60 with 60 hz screens reduces lag.
    To that i would like to say that it does. Also jumping from 60 something fps to about 250 fps removed all tearing and stuttering i had with that little over 60 fps.

Maybe unnecessary explanation about lag: with 60 fps, time between starting the drawing of the frame to showing the frame is
    1s/60 = 0,017s = 17 ms
    with 120 fps the time is half of that = 8,5 ms. Even if you have 60 hz screen the lag is reduced because the frame you get shows moment 8,5 ms ago instead of 17 ms ago.

12. bwana

bwana Registered

Sp Korva do you suggest setting max frame rate at a lot higher than monitor hz? my machine generally gives me 80/150➕ but have game settings at max 65 fps. For my 60 hz monitor.

13. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

lol, that's been common knowledge for years.

14. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

bwana - Yes. If i remember right above 120 fps i didn't get any visible tearing or stuttering. If framerate is between 60 an 120 varies a lot it might produce problems, but i think it's worth tying to uncap the framerate. In my opinion capping framerate to 60 fps is better than capping it to 65 fps because 65 is not divisible with 60 so it makes it to jump over frames, which might make video unsmooth.

15. bwana

bwana Registered

So sorry for not knowing. Forgive me please Jamie. I remember reading to not go crazy with max settings as its wasting usage on something that isn't visible. Hence 65 on 60.

16. bwana

bwana Registered

Cheers korva. Will give it a go . 144hz. Coming in 5 weeks.. Happy birthday to me

17. CraigT

CraigT Registered

Just upgraded to Windows 10. It appears that it will not recognize my G25 wheel. Anyone else have this problem. The driver d'load on Logitech's site doesn't list W10 as being supported

18. stonec

stonec Registered

Logitech are lazy to update drivers, they don't officially support Windows 8 either. Anyhow they worked fine on Windows 8, should work on 10 as well. Make sure you have correct driver version (32/64 bit).

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Gave it a twirl.

I am still on it just lol

Hacked Creative drivers for X-Fi Titanium / Digital Live optical 5.1/surround works great , surprised me. ( have to wait till October for drivers )
    They had some warning in the thread about having to BUY !!! Dolby Digital Live drivers ( to run optical ) for $5 !

I installed my old Live pack worked fine ?

------

Fanatec wheel and CSP really spat the dummy when connected together had this constant " ding dong ding dong " lool drove me mad for a hour.

Ended up swapping ports , connection sequence, privileges , permissions, install, registry, yadda yadda nothing worked ! p

So then I was fixing unrelated bug, rebooted ( 20th time ) and suddenly Fanatec starts to work fine lol , using the same monitor hub ports, unplug, re-plug any order, power on/off, whatever .. all 100%. lol

( damm NumLock ..........forgot that makes note p )

Where is Calculator ? and not too keen on the Picture Viewer too faddy , can't find the old one ? W8.1 still had it.

All Motherboard /Intel drivers had updates on it's page, no problems there.

Best of all rF2 is running great and with the new nvidia driver / old NVi profiles too, virtually identical fps and smooth.

Feels really nice in desktop , etc. then out of nowhere has small clunky moments, reboots vary in time, etc , I give it a day to sort it out. p

It did not want to use my standalone Chrome either p....... it kept telling me something about using a profile of a newer version. lol
    I ended up sorting it though, hasn't attempted to update yet, cool.

Beta classic Shell is okay too.

Old version of WEI is screwed ...........it gave my GTX670 9.9 lool
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2015
  20. CraigT

CraigT Registered

Thanks.
    Unplugged the USBs and restarted...everything seems to be OK
    Will test again