rFactor 2 keeps crashing on exit

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Wozza_UK, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Wozza_UK

Wozza_UK Registered

Since build 982 rFactor 2 keeps crashing when I exit. I don't remember it happening before. (N.B. I am new and this is only my second build).

Basically, when I click Exit to leave the game (not the launcher) it hangs and the pointer turns into the rF2 pointer and becomes non-functional. To shut rF2 down I have to open Task Manager. It doesn't happen all the time but I would say around 95% of the time. Other than that the game seems to run fine.

I was expecting to see some threads here about it but there aren't any.

My system:
    CPU - i5 4670K
    GPU - HD7850
    Mem - 8Gb
    OS - Windows 7

Any help appreciated.

2. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Did u use auto update? Maybe a clean install could help. Had the same problem and with a fresh install the problem dissappeared. Cheers

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9301I mit Tapatalk

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you use any plugins try removing all of them. The game calls their shutdown code when exiting so a freeze at that point can be a busy, or crashed, plugin.

If no plugins, disregard :)

4. maciej

maciej Registered

Same is happening to me it crashes when i press exit the game and my pc is freezed .Im not evem able to close the game in task manager . I need to restart by pressing power button. The only plugin i have is motec but if not mistaken it was hapepening without it as well.
    Most of the time when running the game and goimg to wimdows im not able to go back it frezees.
    Im running triple screen
    I7 4790k
    Msi 980

5. Bazevo

Bazevo Registered

Same problem here, except that I've noticed it seems to happen mainly with modded tracks - Nordschleife and VLM Fuji for example - and there are usually temp files left in the replays folder afterwords, with names like '_vcrXXXXXXXXXX.tmp', where 'X' is some random collection of numbers. I can usually close the program without resorting to the task manager though - just click on 'exit' a few times and hit the Esc key.

6. Wozza_UK

Wozza_UK Registered

1. When you say "plug-ins" what do you mean? The only thing I'm using that might be considered a plug-in would be TrackIR. I will try not using it to see if it helps.

2. I am not using any modded content so far, only the official ISI stuff.

3. I will try auto-update but I don't see the point in a fresh install as it's a pretty new install anyway.

Thanks. :cool:

7. Boldaussie

Boldaussie Registered

Hello all, I solved this very issue by downloading and installing the latest directx from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35 My system is win 7 64 bit.
    There are many niggling problems for the inexperienced computer user to deal with unfortunately and having to go cruise the forums for answers SHOULD be unnecessary for many of the basic issues like this one. This info either needs to be included in a faq of common problems/solutions within the installation of rfactor2 or dealt with before release of any updates. For instance having to uninstall and reinstall the game after purchase for other tracks and cars to be become usable is a farce..( solved, ensure rfactor2 launcher.exe is run as admin in windows 7 and remains so after any core updates).. eg every track/car listed and selectable but the silverstone track was the one loaded regardless of my selections. I am a very experienced computer user. The sim is brilliant, but how many new users will be put off by the utter lack of user friendliness just to have a drive. There is too much competition now for this to be allowed to happen in my opinion. Great forum, I have learned alot so far.

hope this helps those affected.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2015