Nissan Primera BTCC

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by patrikmarek, Jul 13, 2015.

1. matf1

matf1 Registered

Tricky one! Is there a character limit on VEH files??
    Using NissanPrimeraBTCC for the VEH name did not work. Rename them to Primera and they work. All the other file names are fine as they are.

*Yep, looks like 19 characters is the max for VEH file names!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2015
  2. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I've modified some files and added the teams folder. All you have to do is to extract the skipbarber.mas file to the maps folder and it should work.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/bc2l4bn2aa92raz/NissanPrimeraBTCC_EDIT.zip

The VEH character limit is strange. I'm pretty sure it wasn't there in build 946.

I think it's ok for the first experiments but as a good starting point I would build the car with the BTCC Honda as base.

3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Edit: BTCC Honda has encrypted physics so it doesn't work. :(

4. jonnyboy_99

jonnyboy_99 Registered

Looking forward to See your content in here :)

5. patrikmarek

patrikmarek Registered

thanks guys, never would have thought there is a character limit, so perhaps I should call it primeraBTCC or something like that ,
    I will check the file you posted , thanks a lot for looking into this

about the extracting, I only saw - what looked like - textures in that file, so I don't think it will help me out that much, plus I need to create new .mas anyhow, so that the textures are read from maps, but yeah cool, moving forward

I'm sure it will get easier next time around.

as for the physics, I really wouldn't worry about it too much at this point, at the moment I don't even know if "my" physics guys will want to give rf2 a go as well,

btw. so you're saying that only .VEH file has the limits? ... and does that mean that it's name can be different than the rest of the car? I suppose - as long as they are correctly input into all the files, names shouldn't matter, it should be fine then

as I said before though, there are quite few differences between RF and AC, so It will only make sense to work on RF car once the AC car is considered finished - which at this point it isn't :) for example there's no point to have openable doors in rF2, so i will have to delete all the unnecessary polygons and weld the doors shut. and while I'm at it, I will also do little bit of polygon reduction too but not too much

about texturing/materials, I had only a quick peek so far, is there something like a detail map ? .. where you would have a base map, such as AO map, and then use a tileable detail map to provide the texture detail?

or will I have to resort to more "old school" mapping , where everything needs to be on 1 texture?

I saw some more detailed vehicle document, but I hadn't had a chance to go through it more deeply , so I don't know how much it talks about shaders.

thanks all for helping,
    it's going to be a long process to get it all there, but I'm sure it will happen eventually

6. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

I'm only a track guy, but ...

Gravel Trap Shader is quite versatile, despite its name. It's got two albedo maps (one would be the AO map, one would be the detail map), normal and specular maps, and it allows each texture stage to use its own UV mapping channel.

7. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The mas file contains all textures (dds, bmp, tga) and geometry (gmt) files. When you extract it you have all files you need to test the car in devmode (it's just the skippy with a different name atm) and you can edit whatever you want. There is no need to create a mas-file to see your changes (in devmode).
    The mas-file you have created (NissanPrimeraBTCC.mas) is just a dummy file with a single texture in it to avoid the error message when you load the car in devmode. It has to be there because it is listed in the gen-file. Don't know what happens if you simply comment it out (//).

With the search path it should be possible to create your own folder structure inside your car modding folder. When you would like to separate the meshes from the textures you can create a new "geometry" folder, move all gmt files to that folder and add the search path to the gen file (SearchPath=<VEHDIR>NissanPrimeraBTCC\geometry).

8. patrikmarek

patrikmarek Registered

cool, yeah that sounds like it might be useful :) thanks! will definitely check it out at some point,
    yes separate UV's is exactly what will be needed for this to work. .. does it have reflection ? since that might be one of the limiting factors ( for carbon fiber for example)

but yeah anyhow, I will play with it , and the more I will understand the probably better it will get.

9. matf1

matf1 Registered

It seems to be. As Tosch mentioned, it didn't seem to be an issue previously, so a small bug escaped testing I'd guess.
    I'd appreciate someone confirming as I'm on Win8.1 with a bunch of MS dev tools installed. i'd like to know if it is the same on a vanilla Win7.

When I'd worked out Primera was fine but NissanPrimeraBTCC was not I simply deleted the last C. When that worked I replaced it with a P in case it was a character thing, and it stopped working again.
    Only the VEH files were affected.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2015
  10. patrikmarek

patrikmarek Registered

so when I start exporting my files, I have to rename them to rter_body_max.gmt , or does these get generated automatically ??
    also, do I need to do anything special to see the textures/shaders in viewport? it's all black when using gmotor

also, some initial success, but I don't see ways how to adjust shaders, .. so perhaps it's all controlled with the textures themselfs

also, I will be looking into unpacking the skip barber to see how the shaders are used and so on, but is there something more recent, more up-to date? or the shaders/textres are pretty much same on all cars?

View attachment 17371

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2015
  11. patrikmarek

patrikmarek Registered

if I don't want some skins from official cars, is there a way to delete them ?

12. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Every car in rF2 is defined by a VEH file. This is the first file that is loaded for a car and it contains information about the the skin (DefaultLivery=), the physics file (hdv), the graphics file (gen), the sound file (sfx), the cameras (cam), the cockpit and some user interface related stuff like names, numbers, classes.
    To remove a skin, remove the veh file or change the entry for the default livery dds file.
    rF2 makes use of wildcard materials. The material name for these materials always begins with "WC" (for instance WCCARBODY, for the bodywork of the car). With that information the game engine knows that the primary texture map can be replaced by the "DefaultLivery" defined in the veh file.
    It works the same way if you would like to replace the texture for the windshield. The materail name is "WCWINDSHIELDOUT". When your default livery is "NissanPrimeraBTCC_05.dds" the replacement texture for the windshield should be named "NissanPrimeraBTCC_05windshieldout.dds.

Primera_05.veh

13. PetraGTC

PetraGTC Registered

super super, primera bude pro rF2:) Jinak, vĂ­tej :)

14. patrikmarek

patrikmarek Registered

thanks , very helpful, especially the part about material names, are there some sort of lists of these " must be like this" ?

also to my previous question, the VEH ( was it the veh?) file, that contains all the GMT pieces, is that somethign auto generated?? becuase it sounds silly if I would have to type all the pieces manually
    I have noticed that the GMT exporter have ways to point to MAS file and so on, so perhaps this is something that it deals with that ??

well, the initial one piece export worked, so I guess now it will be just moving forward with more pieces and so on, of course the biggest unknown will be the physics, and most likely not somethign that I want to be doing ( since I have very little time as it is already), but perhaps I will convince some of my guys to check out rF2 as well,

if not, then the other option would be to get some of you guys to help out on it ,but let's see
    still very early

15. PetraGTC

PetraGTC Registered

u have to export the gmts, then pack them in the primerabtcc.mas And ofcourse "build" the gens.

16. patrikmarek

patrikmarek Registered

by "build" you mean type what's what? .. oh well, I was hoping it would be easier, but at least It will pressure me to use less objects.

btw. what's the idea behind separating them?? is that needed for engine in any way ? ( meaning can I have whole car body + glass + interior as 1 gmt?)

I assume that parts that move ( wheels/ suspension) do need to be separate GMT, but can I for example include swivel and brake calipers in one GMT, since they move together? and same thing for exterior, can it have windows and all that?

but yeah, again thanks for helping, slowly getting the hang of it

also the MAS file is something I package up once i'm finished, right? theres' no point of packing it , if i'm still working on the GMT or textures

it's going to be more work then what I thought it will - sadly - but yeah, let's see how it goes

17. PetraGTC

PetraGTC Registered

by "build" i mean using MAStool to make the mas file. And yes, the carbody,windows, and interior has to be separated, 'cause the gen is loading the carbody mesh even in cpit view.
    Yes, mas file is for final packaging, no point making it in da work :)

18. patrikmarek

patrikmarek Registered

but there's another file that defines what GMT's are being loaded, and they have setuip things like LODs distances, that's the file that I was asking about. if I have to manually change the names of the files in it, or if there is something that generates that file , not the MAS, MAs is the archive that contains the files

also, by poking around , I noticed that some cars look very old - such as 370z, while some look amazing, such as HondaCivic BTCC, .. is there any update planned for the older ones? 370z GT4 was one of the cars I wanted rF2 for, but visually it does look quite bad imo , nowhere near Civic or even GT-R

19. PetraGTC

PetraGTC Registered

the file(s) that define what gmt's are being loaded are the cars .gen files, and yes, u have to manually change the names, insert new instances when (if) needed, etc...
    The 370z is using some "basic" shader values and techniques, while latest and updated ones, such as the Civic, are using more tweaked carbody maps and values...

20. Flaux

Flaux Registered

In 3DSimEd you can generate the .gen file from the 3D model without doibg all the writing. Then you can change the parameters within this new .gen file.

I'm sure there is a tool within the PS plug-ins ISI provide, isn't it?