How do I acess files after latest build?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RoboCAT10, Jul 13, 2015.

1. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Hi I downloaded the latest build, but am now finding it hard where to access the files as in settings, packages, playr file etc.?

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I not sure if you mean frsh Lite build or over the top and if you mean old setups.

With a fresh Lite your player folder is created when you first launch single Player, do settings , etc
    Setup folders are created when you install tracks.

With a Lite over the top of existing install you retain all old Player files so I am guessing
    that is not the issue.

I recommend making a folder structure for these folders and files and back up to a thumbdrive, etc:

Example for Windows7 64Bit

Credentials-
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\.rFactor

MAS Files-
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\~MASTEMP

Package Info -
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\pkginfo.dat
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\pkginfo_bak.dat

Packages - ( rfmods and downloaded skins )
    DRIVE:\rFactor2\Packages

Controller custom profiles -
    DRIVE:\rFactor2\UserData\Controller

Player.JSON and Multiplayer.JSON -
    DRIVE:\rFactor2\UserData\player

Garage setups, Skins, Real Road -
    DRIVE:\rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings

Plugins -
    E:\rFactor2\Bin32\Plugins
    E:\rFactor2\Bin64\Plugins

Rest of the files you can let rFactor2 remake.

I recommending storing all packages/rfcmp in archives outside rFactor2

3. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

On the previous build you could access the files by clicking "open date path location" on the main menu under settings. This button is no longer there. This is what I want to to access my player file, packages, plugin, settings etc. I don't understand why ISI would remove that. Now I can not access any of these files. I downloaded the Lite Build.

4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Apologies in Advance, maybe i missread your post, but you can`t open the Path to your UserData Folder without this Launcher Link?

5. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I could on the previous build, in the main menu of the launcher. I have no idea where my player.json file is located now,.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Windows Explorer was my first thought . :confused:...........he has 2 rfactor2 folders ?

Failing that make sure Working Dir: and Packages Dir: are set correct, then refresh ?

I not to sure on this data path thing I have always used mod manager, set the Dir:'s in lower right corner, never had a problem.

[​IMG]

7. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I want to access my player.json file, but for some reason I can not find it after the latest build?

8. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

rFactor2\UserData\player

or in Documents. But this is related to your decision, where to install the Files during the Installation...

9. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

That's what I don't understand. I can not for the life of me find my player.json file in rFactor2\UserData\player. It was found there before, but since the download it has gone missing. :/

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

So where did you install the data to?

Try opening the rFactor2\Core\data.path file (in notepad).

11. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I have no idea where my core file is. Why would ISI change something that worked fine to so something that frustrates a paying customer, its not good enough. On the previous build when opening up the main interface, in the settings tab, there was a button/link called 'data path location' or something like that which would lead you to all your files. The files I am talking about are Installed, Manifests, Modev, Packages, Support, Userdata, player.json file. I can not find this link that leads me to all of this. This was very useful to me as this was where I could check my garage setups, and any other changes I wanted to make.

When I installed the new build I installed it no differently to what I usually do. :mad:

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You don't know where you installed rF2?

Try checking the properties of the shortcut, either in the start menu or on your desktop.

13. PMC

PMC Registered

You could just type ' player ' into windows explorer in your start menu ,and click on the player folder , it will tell you its location in the address bar at the top of the page then if you want to create a shortcut to it on your desktop , find your player folder in the address shown , right click the player folder, go to 'send to ' and create shortcut (desktop) . Unless ive misunderstood something .

EDIT: Changed the shortcut option to include your player folder

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2015
  14. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I've searched my player folder in the start menu, and what i have found I have now two different player files. :confused: Should I just delete, unistall everything for rfactor and start again. This is beyond a joke at the moment. It was all fine before I downloaded the latest build.

15. PMC

PMC Registered

OK this is because you chose to install the data folder to a different location to your original install .

You have a couple different options .

1 . Locate the rfactor2 data folders in both locations , right click the folder and go to properties and see when they were created and delete the oldest one . Then make sure you have the correct location for your working directory and packages set in mod manager . Make sure you have back up all your Packages so you don't have to re download from both package folders and any other files you might have in the folder your going to delete if you want to use them in your existing folder.

2 . A clean install ,after uninstall make sure you have deleted all rFactor2 data folders and take note to where you have installed it next time , default is best . Also remember to backup your packages and any other files you might want to replace after install

16. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Thanks for your help. I have just installed rfactor2 so I will try download again.

17. PMC

PMC Registered

Could you tell us where your data folders ended up for reference .

As another option you could just delete the oldest rFactor2 data folder and install the latest build to the same location as the newest data folder without deleting anything

18. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I uninstalled rfactor2 and deleted all the date files I could find. I reinstalled with the latest build (lite build) however when I go in game nothing has changed. It says on the main interface that I only have the clio installed, yet in game it shows I have other car mods installed too. Plus I still can not find m6y player.json file.... When I installed I installed to the default rfactor file.

EDIT: Despite it saying I have the Clio's installed, when I go in game the clio is not even available. Instead it has all the vehicles I had before, despite them not appearing in my installed folders list. Same with the tracks. I really regret downloading this latest build to begin with now.

19. PMC

PMC Registered

You might be worth doing a totally clean install , that includes deleting rFactor2 folder in c\program files as well as your data folder .

Make sure you backup your packages .

When you've finished uninstalling a deleting all traces of rFactor2 return all the content of your packages and install 1 track and car and it should all be good

20. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

So I have uninstalled rf2 again and have gone on to delete everything rfactor in my path. I have kept backups of my packages that I want to re-install. However when I go to delete my rfactor 2 c\program file it will not delete. This below is what it say's when I try to access the file:

http://gyazo.com/f9438fcbd0f641f40ff7038d7d9aa373

EDIT: I have finally managed to get it to work. Thanks for your help again. :)