Demo - terrible!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nats, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

This.... we are ALL here to help. If you are not, you should look at other threads... or go look at kittens on reddit or something.

2. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

My favorite quote = "When you have quite finished ranting your face off..."

3. Nats

Nats Registered

Hi again. Well after trying repeatedly to get my FF2 joystick to work with various FF settings and having the car jump into the air at random moments I turned off the Ff completely and managed to drive around the track fine and actually won the 10 lap GP using driver aids. And yes this game is very reminiscent of F1 Challenge 99-02 especially the things like mechanics breakdowns, pitting, and overall handling. Shame the wet graphics arent quite as good as other games mind but still that not massively important to me.

So its definitely the demo (or game) not liking my joystick FF when its on. Which is strange because like I said the rFactor1 demo was fine with my joystick FF on. I really cant play a racing game without FF and this alone is putting me off Project Cars actually.

I would like to get this game as it has pretty much everything i want and the only other contender, F1 2015, sounds like its bugged to death at the moment and will probably take a year to get sorted properly.

One thing I noticed was the 'skip updates' hack in the replies above - can I try that in the demo and if so how do I set it?

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Question in my mind; why don't you just get yourself a wheel? The immersion will be so much better.
    Wheels like the Momo (red or black) can be found for a nickel and a dime right? That alone will be 500% better, believe me.

5. Justy

Justy Registered

I'm not sure if the demo allows it, but if you want to try. Go to My Documents\\rFactor2\\Userdata\\Player and look for a file called Controller.json. Open with notepad and scroll down (almost halfway down the page) until you see these lines....

"Skip updates":0,
    "Skip updates#":"Apparently some drivers can't handle a quick FFB update rate, so use this hack to skip the given number of updates (0=full update rate, 1=half, 2=one-third, 3=one-quarter, etc.)",

Change the 0 to 3, as suggested by Techade and save the file.

Now try rF2 with your joystick again. :)

P.S. Always make sure to exit rF2 before making any changes to the files. :)

6. Nats

Nats Registered

Well I might. But I havent played ANY driving games recently. In fact my last driving game was F1 Challenge! I just watched the British GP and felt like getting a driving game. So that why I havent got a wheel - more of a space/flight simmer. For irregular driving a £50 wheel is a fair expense when I have a perfectly good joystick that has worked well in every other game I have ever had - other than this demo! I would prefer to just use the joystick its very good actually. Maybe I should just get rFactor1 on Steam instead - I know that one works with it?

7. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Okay, two things; second hand Momo's aren't that high in price, right? Here in the Netherlands, you can pick them up for 15/20 euro. But you live on the other side of the creek, don't you? How are they there?
    Second one; have you tried uninstalling/reïnstalling the demo?
    Ow, a third; have you asked if you can get a refund (within a week of trying) when you buy the game?

8. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Honestly I'd get Stock Car Extreme instead of rFactor. After playing that you'd probably feel the desire to play rFactor2 as well. The best compromise of a cheap steering wheel is the Logitech DFGT if you can find it for around 100 bucks or less.

9. Nats

Nats Registered

Yes that hack does seem to have sorted my FF joystick problems. Great thank you Justy and Techade. Nothing to prevent me from buying the game now.

10. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Steering wheels can be very uncomfortable on a regular desk, if you don't have a proper seat and monitor setup. They also take a lot of space.
    Also immersion is a personal thing. Some guys at Papyrus used dual joysticks well into the GPL days when steering wheels were already mainstream for years.
    I'd say, let people enjoy the sim however they want. All the the control options and driving aids survived to this day for good reason.

11. Justy

Justy Registered

Ace! :)

Well said.

12. peterchen

peterchen Registered

13. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Funny; we are on a forum of an racing simulation (game) and now, by three guys in a row, I AM the bad guy for saying a steering wheel would "add to the immersion" and/or give a better feel.
    Its a bit of the world upside down, but okay.

14. bwana

bwana Registered

Agree Nav, cant see how someone can argue how RF2 is the best sim till the cows come home and drive without a wheel , BUT all I know is Im thankful we have such a great sim.

15. Justy

Justy Registered

Sorry, I don't see where anyone disagrees with you, or makes you out to be the bad guy? Certainly my post was not intended to be taken that way and I didn't think Associators and Peterchens posts were either. Sorry if I offended. :(

16. coops

coops Banned

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

You may not have played racing games much in the past and may not play them much currently but I'd bet a nice chunk of money that once you get a wheel you will be hooked. Especially if your in love with driving in real life.

My first wheel was non-FFB given to me by one of my real life racing friends. At that time I was racing with GPL. When GPL got FFB I bought an ActLabs Force RS. Then Momo Race (never broke) then G25 (I broke with a drill bit through a cable) and now a G27 (still running).

18. schigara

schigara Registered

Exactly. I have been a car nut since I was 5 years old and started playing Gran Turismo at version 2 but would only play for a month or so and then get bored. When GT5 came out I bought a DFGT wheel and holy cow what a difference it makes because you are no longer just looking at a car on a screen but you are now feeling the weight of the car and the oversteer and understeer and you really feel in control of it . Within a week, I had the wheel hooked to the pc and was driving Rfactor, GTR EVO, Race07 and the Ps3 got sold and I have been pc sim racing for over 5 years and it's rare I go more than 2 days without a sim race. I have since sold the click clacky and noisy DFGT and replaced it with a belt driven Fanatec GT3RSv2.

19. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Seems pretty possible :D

That's not me btw. But I've done many laps here myself. To be honest it sounds like the demo is indeed bugged if it's that difficult.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2015
  20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just so you're aware, you've basically replied to the first post and ignored the rest. The OP has already sorted the issues, 10 days ago in fact.