Demo - terrible!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nats, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Nats

Nats Registered

Tried the demo for RFactor2 twice now and still not managed to even get around a circuit of Silverstone. I dont know whether I am doing something wrong.

First time I tried it in a race I couldn't control my car at all and slammed into wall and got stuck in it and had to ctrl alt delete out. The aids were all off I found out later. I also noticed that all the cars stopped when I went off track - is that normal?

This time I tried a practice and the car juddered at a point in the pit lane near the lights and then flipped over like crazy shortly after that like it had hit a kerb or something in the middle of the pit lane! It just went crazy. Tried it a few times with same result. Exited game.

Next time I manged to get out the pitlane but tried to get around a circuit with most aids on and still could hardly control the car!! It was skidding all over the place. I mean I have driven around this circuit in F1 Challenge 99-02 very successfully but it was nothing like that at all - no grip at all. Then I crashed and the game froze.

So there you go. Terrible demo, bugged like mad. very disappointed because I was all ready to buy this game today! I tried the rFactor 1 demo the other day and loved it - what an amazing demo that was. But this one - absolutely terrible. Worst demo I have ever tried in fact by a long long way. Does completely the opposite that it should do in fact.

So now I don't know what to do. I don't want to really buy the old rFactor and my only sane alternative is Project Cars ???

Is this just me? What the heck is up with it?

2. Scott Beck

Scott Beck Registered

It's you lol. rFactor 2 is absolutely fantastic. Best sim you can buy. Are you sure your PC is up to running it?

3. Nats

Nats Registered

I dont think its me but it could be a setting I have on that makes it unplayable.

Yes I have a very decent computer AMD X2 six core with Win 7 64bit Pro 12Gb Ram and GTX550Ti card. There is no problem with frame rates at all. Its just ... I dont know .. there is something seriously up with the demo. the game may be superb but the demo stinks. Like I say I tried the rFactor1 demo with no issues at all and was bombing around the track. Not so with this one though - could hardly even get around one bend with most aids on in the dry at 60mph. There is something seriously wrong there!!! The car was just completely uncontrollable - no stability at all and with stability assist on high!!!

And that pit lane!!! ??

Like I said Ive been around Silverstone in F1 Challenge and GPO4 years ago and got very good at it. But here not being able to get around a single bend with all aids on? Thats just not right.

And then the crashing out to desktop three times in four plays of the demo. And that invisible wall in the pit lane? Weird.

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

When you have quite finished ranting your face off, you want to post your specs so maybe others can actually help with your problem?

5. Nats

Nats Registered

I already have if you had read the post above. I dont think I was ranting. I tried a demo of a game I was about ready to buy after spending a week going through loads of driving games. And it completely ruined my whole feeling for the game. How is that not going to be somewhat disappointing?

These issues are NOT to do with my computer. They are 100% to do with the demo. Seriously I would suggest a dev takes a look at it. It may well be a very early version of the game or whatever I dont know. But the way it is at the moment it isnt doing the devs any favours at all. And there is no way I am risking £30 based on that unless I get some serious comment from a dev that confirms what is going on/that it is bugged/unplayable etc to rest my fears about the purchase.

The only thing I would say is I am using a MS FF2 joystick not a wheel to try the demo. I haven't had any issues with this in the past and it works flawlessly with the rFactor1 demo. Its possible the new game doesnt like it. It certainly didnt detect it the way the first demo did and I had to set the profile up by hand in the demo. I suppose it COULD be that its just set far too sensitively by default. So I will have another look at the joystick config setting in the game.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If someone else tried the demo and it worked fine, would you accept it could be something your side?

7. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

The demo: F3.5 2014 at silverstone : all aids off exept for TC at low and ABS at low (cheating a bit :) )

8. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Assetto Corsa, Game Stock Car Extreme, Raceroom Racing Experience, iRacing... there is plenty of fish in the sea (at the moment, which is just awesome, thank you very much.) that are better fishies than pCars.

I wouldn't give up on rFactor 2 just yet though. It truly is one of the best sims ever, even with its poor accessability for beginners. I never tried the demo so I have no clue whats going on there, but I'm sure if you buckle down and wheat out the actually helpful people around these parts, you may just be on your way to experiencing something new and exiting.

I would start off by surfing through this site about the information that ISI has already put out them selves, concerning how to drive specific cars, what are the system requirements, and just searching the forums for relevant topics.

There is no "beginners guide" per se (the product goes through constant changes and keeping one up to date has not appealed to anybody as of yet.), but I throw couple links for you to look at.

Driving a race car; This is not only for rF2, it is for what ever you are ever going to drive, sim or real life. Known to many as the "Racing bible".

Same stuff, based on the same book, just different way in conveing the information.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqZLBOpI5JFKebBA_i-SCkGRRypXovWv6

About rF2 it self:
    http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/prestogp-rfactor-2-guide-rf2-explained.95492/
    Some info is outdated, but there is some good stuff there to get you started,

9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Well, if the game would be that bad; a whole lot of guys here would complain, trust me. If they can't get out of the pitman or make one turn.......how do you explain all the movies of rF2? How can it even exist?

It IS hard, when you are used to take every turn full throttle, using the guardrail as guide to get you faster through the corners and hit a coin on the road to make your car go faster......after al; it IS a simulation (game).

Anyway; ARE you looking for a solution or are you just happy bashing rF2?
    If you are in for a solution; try uninstalling/reïnstalling the demo?
    Plus; there WAS (don't know if there still is, maybe someone could answer that one) a possibility to buy the game and go for a refund within a week. You could try that?

10. Nats

Nats Registered

I take it back about it not being me. I think its my joystick. For some reason this game just doesnt seem to like my joystick. I managed to get onto the track this time with sensitivity set down to around 25% for everything and a few turns around my car suddenly stopped dead and started going in reverse really fast. Then it jumped in the air like a mad thing again like before in the pit lane.

I will try my XBOX type controller instead of the joystick but I cant imagine driving without my joystick! Its strange because the first games demo was fine with my joystick - no issues at all!

11. Gijs van Elderen

I think your graphics card is the bottle neck. Your PC specs are double then mine except for the graphics card.
    In any modern race game (AC, Pcars) you'll need to lower graphic settings.

You'll need to lower things to get a decent fps. And also make sure your graphics card isn't overclocked. If it's a stock OC card it should be OK.

In the graphic settings in the launcher.
    - turn v-sync off
    - set AA level off or level 1
    - HDR on
    - FXAA off

In game:
    - set everything on medium
    - set shadows on low
    - shadow blur off
    - road reflections off
    - envirement reflection low

- Add a max off 10 AI on track.

In car press "ctrl-f" to view your fps. It should be above 60 at all times.

12. Gijs van Elderen

If you need some advice or F3.5 setups for a Xbox controller: go to racedepartment.com and look for Nicolas Delamare. He is unbelievable with a controller and races among the fastests guys without TC or ABS. And he is very helpful. :)

But he can't handle a GT car. You need FFB to "feel" the cars slip angle.

13. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Some pretty hard words for someone who:
    - thinks he is the virtual Senna, but used to -more or less- arcade games
    - comments on the "feel of a car" when driving with a joystick
    - thinks he is not ranting.......

14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I would stop trying to compare things with rf1.... as far as your concerned, it should be like comparing apples to oranges.

Was it really that hard to look at your own stuff before saying rfactor 2 was a load of poop? Strange you didn't try anything out before having a good old rant that is was definitely the demo and not your computer.

The control schemes are the first things to check.

PLUS... rfactor 1 has a different tyre model, doesn't require so much to have warm tyres before going flat out and frankly, it came out in 2005!

15. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Sounds like a serious hardware/system problem to me.
    Sim fell out of realtime. Something like that.

I can tell you: rF2 is playable with a 550ti and a joystick!
    Sorry that I can´t help you further.....
    The processor is a X2 ? Then it´s not a six core? Detailed naming of processor please.

Axis of controller properly assigned?

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Heck Tim

Put the F3 Eve, Belgium. lol :)

Demo needs a Historic in there for all the GPL'ers to try. ;)

P.S. Include nice RR profile and good garage setup.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
  17. patrikmarek

patrikmarek Registered

I have tried 2 or 3 demos myslef, and never had any weird stuff happening, all was running as expected and the fact I rolled over civic was my fault :)
    rfactor2 has definitely great potential , even though I'm still waiting for a bit before I buy it, but I'm going to buy it very likely

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

slow down for the corners , drive well well within limits , build up from there

19. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

It seems to me that since the game is not detecting his joystick the response of the car is not what it should. Nothing to do with in game settings I would say.

In any case, pretending that the demo is unplayable rather than assuming he is having some type of issue is pretty funny to read.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

20. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Can you try unplugging your controller and running the game with keyboard (and steering help, Brake assist and traction control)? If it functions, then it's the input you are using. It is weird that it would work in the previous game but that's technology, sometimes things fail. But at least we could 100% narrow it down to the controller.

Don't be put off by people jumping at your throat for not praising this as the 9th wonder of the world, though admittedly your initial post wasn't the most sensible :p.