new driver amd 15.7 rFactor2 half performance?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by madquad, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

It really is a shame.
    When I physically pick up and examine AMD's hardware vs Nvidia's hardware, the build quality is immediately apparent.
    The quality of the components on the AMD side are superior.
    The chokes, the capacitors, the overall hardware quality is just that much better.
    I was recently on the 'hunt' for a new graphics card and would've loved to try AMD again.
    In the end, I just threw my hands up and went with the GTX970.
    That decision came as a result of the numerous, unresolved horror stories of the lack of RF2 performance fixes and my past experience with stuttering on AMD cards, during the HD4XXX era.
    That was years ago and they still seem to be struggling.
    I don't get it.
    If the aircraft or flight simulators I fix for a living were broken for that long and I couldn't come up with a timely fix, I'd be out of a job.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2015
  2. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

I guess I've got the same annoying stripes on things. Do they dissappear when getting close to them? I get stripe pattern for example on the Indianapolis box buildings....when I'm about one or two meters away they dissappear.
    Cheers

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9301I mit Tapatalk

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Not sure. If you look on the grass and sand near the camera view you can see stripes that follow the contour of the terrain? I marked directions with yellow lines. nV had this issue back in 2012, fixed it, then reintroduced it recently.
    rf2_portugal20_03.jpg
    I get that on every game right now.

4. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

That doesn't seem the problem I mean. I never recognized / discovered such stripes in the grass n sand. I will check that when I'm back on the rig. I own a gtx 680.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9301I mit Tapatalk

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Don't have RadeonPro installed, but I realized I do have another issue that I have seen mentioned elsewhere. If you change any major graphics setting, rF2 crashes on track load the next time. Exit and re-enter rF2 and then it's fine until you change a setting. That never happened for me before.

I have "cured" the half frame rate. While using the prior driver, the FPS was pretty much the same for the equivalent quality whether I used CCC or in-game settings. Now, the in-game settings have the usual frame rate (certainly no improvement), but overriding the settings with CCC give half what they did prior to "upgrade." Why is anyone's guess. Sigh.

7. nascar2112

nascar2112 Registered

I dont get all this AMD isnt as good for rfactor 2 stuff, used a 6850 1gb since the beta launch with no fps or stuttering and when i got my 280x, it was even better

8. madquad

madquad Registered

+1
    It is guilty of paying more attention to the game to walk everywhere Forum :eek:

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

If you switched to a supposedly equivalent class NVIDIA, you'd be stunned how much better rF2 ran. Most other titles are six of one, half a dozen of the other, but not rF2. It's all relative.

10. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

I've not had any problems with ATI/AMD for several cards now,HD4870,HD6970 and now R9 290.
    rF2 has always run great,no stutters,slow downs or anything bad.

11. nascar2112

nascar2112 Registered

I really doubt that, sorry

12. expdom

expdom Registered

Win 10 + 15.7 + HD7970 and game is running beautifully.

Tried VSR (2560 x 1440) and frames still over 100 with all maxed out, no reflections but images don't look as sharp. Back to 1920 x 1080, SSAA and AA level at 5. Still around 100 frames mostly everywhere. If MSAA is used frames hover around 130+.

All of the above in league races with 20+ drivers

Cheers

13. whitmore

whitmore Registered

15.7 drivers First time i have been able to use super sampling. OC 7970 3gb all settings on max in CCC and in game game fxaa not ticked hovering around 100 low of 75. Using new VSR 1920 x 1080 46" led tv hdmi connection.
    usually if settings are used in both CCC & in game frames massive dump. Looking for what may be wrong it is so good.

14. Isosceles Kramer

Isosceles Kramer Registered

15. eltidi

eltidi Registered

For me The AMD issues dissapeared after the omega driver, I run the game with super sampling 4x and it runs smoothly, Frankly the one having driver issues lately is Nvidia with performance problems with the kepler cards, and crashes on the drivers.

Amd cpu is a hard sell but their graphic cards have been pretty good lately, the top end belongs to nvidia but in the mid range they have a pretty good lineup. I don't bother with beta drivers, I just upgraded to this 15.7 and have no issues in any sim I have played.

16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

It's no concern of mine whether you doubt it. But some of us have direct experience to base our opinions on.

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

There used to be a genuine issue, caused primarily by the AMD driver, but they fixed it a long while ago and now they are quite comparable. Though the prejudice persists.

Every-so-often though, both manufacturers release drivers that totally screw things up. Right now it seems AMD do it more often.

18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Well, when I switched to AMD, I got the exact same performance as my prior NVIDIA card that was a couple of generations older. My AMD card has the same performance today, umpteen driver updates later. That's with rF2. Other titles saw a performance boost with the newer AMD. But I run relatively high resolution and almost all settings maxed and supersampling, so your mileage will vary. NVIDIA also has the advantage of SGSS that looks as good as full supersampling at a bit less performance drain. With only basic settings they may be equivalent.