Build 982 AI too fast and stuttering

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gadaga, Jul 5, 2015.

1. gadaga

gadaga Registered

My monitor is a Samsung Sync Master P2450

What do you mean by "sync Yes" please? I can set it to None, Software, GPU or Video... not just "yes"

2. Justy

Justy Registered

Have you tried running rF2 without any of the Sim Commander stuff running, maybe even with your wheel unplugged too? Just to make sure there isn't a conflict between that and rF2. I've not heard of anyone else having problems, but you do have some nice hardware, that I imagine not many others have, might be worth trying to rule out any obvious differences like that first. Particularly as you mention the Sim Commander software/drivers are BETA. Is there anything more up-to date from Sim Commander?

3. Liuke44

Liuke44 Registered

4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

- Without Simcommander you get the crashes, too?
    - Could you pls install the B982-Light and e.g. Limerock Park + Honda Civic in a separate Folder as a clean Installation?

5. gadaga

gadaga Registered

Interesting findings... When I assign steering to the accuforce wheel my purple bar is almost at 100% (depending on the number of AI's etc). When I assign the g25 (of which I use the pedals) or simply the arrow keys and I launch rFactor2 the purple bar stays well under 50%...

That would mean that assigning the accuforce uses up a whole lot of processor power. Maybe this has to do with the very high ffb update frequency (1000hz or even 2000).

Is there a way to force the update frequency to something lower?

6. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Check the controller.json. Maybe it helps.

7. Justy

Justy Registered

Sounds like you are certainly onto something. Unfortunately this is where I start getting out of my depth and so I can't really offer much more help. What I would suggest you do is, contact ISI directly, either in the Support section on these forums, or by email. You may also need to get in touch with Sim Commander/Sim Experience in case this is an issue with their software/drivers.

For a workaround, you could also try having a look through your controller.json file, to see if you can spot any lines which might influence this refresh rate. I had a quick look and could only find this line....

"Skip updates":0,
    "Skip updates#":"Apparently some drivers can't handle a quick FFB update rate, so use this hack to skip the given number of updates (0=full update rate, 1=half, 2=one-third, 3=one-quarter, etc.)",

I hasten to add, that I have no idea exactly what this setting does, or if you should mess with it, so I hope someone who does know what they are talking about, will chime in for you. :)

It might also be worth posting your problem in this thread too. http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...-for-rFactor-2-The-key-to-being-in-the-Zone-D

Personally I think this is a bug somewhere, if you have no issues with other games, I don't see why rF2 should be any different. I'm sure you would rather, be able to enjoy your wheel's full, unrestricted performance with rF2 as well. Hope you get it sorted soon. :)

EDIT: Ah! Tosch beat me to it. ;)

8. gadaga

gadaga Registered

Thanks Tosch,

Setting it to 3 (on fours of the rate) and even to 2 (one third) cures the problem... The purple bar remains around fifty or a bit above...

Do that is solved!!!!!

What is not solved is my PC crashing when launching rFactor2. I cannot clearly identify why... It crashes with simcommander 4 running (this gives more control over the wheel) but also (maybe less) without.

I have the impression that the more I increase the settings (number of AI's, gfx settings) the easier the PC crashes...

No crashes with other games...

9. Justy

Justy Registered

At what point does the PC crash? Does it crash before the sim loads, or when the track loads, or when you go to track? Also, do the crashes happen with just your G25 connected, rather than the Accuforce wheel?

10. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The rF2 main menu screen runs at very high framerates (and high system load). What you can try to reduce the framerate and system load is to enable the framelimiter in the player.json file.

This has nothing to do with vsync. The frame rate is controlled by the game and not the gfx driver. 62 works good for my 60 Hz monitor, but you have to test what works best for you.
    However, rF2 never crashes at launch (at least for me), so there is something else in your system that causes instability. If I had to guess I would say it is the power supply (can't handle the power spike when you launch the game).
    Maybe it's also worth to check the power management settings. Is the high performance profile enabled?

Edit: One more thing. Have you tried "prerendered frames = 1" in the Nvidia control panel? It should reduce drastically the CPU load.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015
  11. gadaga

gadaga Registered

Some symptoms :

After a pc crash due to rFactor2, when I relaunch rFactor2 sometimes I get the "JSON failed to perform operation, unsupported type" message. In that case I need to delete the entire "player" folder... and relaunch rFactor2

When launching rFactor2 the moment the PC crashes is just after loading a track or just after I get out of a race into the main display (where is the garage the standings etc)

This is without simcommander 4 running...

12. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Could you try a complete clean & fresh second install?

13. gadaga

gadaga Registered

I did so... Hélas, the PC crashing remains the same!

When I launch the launcher and I go to graphics settings it shows my gtx 780 with 1722 Mbytes of memory whereas it has 3Gbytes.. Why is this? Could this be the cause?

14. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I guess, the Launcher shows the actual available (free) Vram...

//Edit: could you check your cpu temp, just on idle

15. Tosch

Tosch Registered

It's a directx bug. Nothing to worry about.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2026022

16. gadaga

gadaga Registered

17. gadaga

gadaga Registered

Juergen the idle temps is around 48 degrees. Fully loaded it is 65 degrees.

Seems OK no? I'm convinced that my crashes don't come from there.

I also installed an older nvidia driver just to see. No luck either!

18. Comante

Comante Registered

I experienced sadly frequent crashes playing RF2, when loading the game, when loading a track and when pressign ESC to return to garage or exiting an instant replay. The issue reduced drastically after I erased all the content of RF2 CORE and RF2 DATA folders. Now the game crashes much much less often, at least now I can make a race session thinking about driving and not "if I press this button, I will lose everything done until now". Now the frequency of crashes is diminished but the crash triggers appear to be the same : passing from RF2 launcher to the game, loading a track, and pressing esc during a session or a replay.
    my specs :
    MOBO:Gigabyte Mod 1150 GBT Z97M-D3H
    CPU : Intel i5 4460 Quad Core CPU (3.20GHz, 6MB Cache, 84W, Graphics, Turbo Boost Technology, Socket 1150)
    GPU : Sapphire R9 270X 2GB Dual-X OC

19. gadaga

gadaga Registered

Hi comante,

I'm almost happy to hear that I'm not alone. The triggers are exactly the same for me as for you..

Is this something erroneous in the rFactor2 code?

I've installed everything on my 'gaming' laptop (Windows 10 preview build 10130, Intel core TV i7 4510, nvidia 840M 8Gbytes of ram)... It runs (very low settings), there are occasional Laptop crashes as well and there are plenty of rFactor2 crashes (without crashing the laptop) ... Installed iracing as well and that runs wonderfully well...

This is 'crazy'! Never has my laptop crashed.. Only rFactor2 can do it!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2015
  20. stonec

stonec Registered

None of my league racers have experienced these kind of crashes, neither with b946 or b982. It sounds like combination of specific hardware (wheel) and drivers. Surprised it happens on laptop as well. Windows 10 might be reason, who knows. As far as I am aware rF2 hasn't been much tested with Windows 10 yet, I wouldn't test a game on Windows 10 and draw conclusions before it's officially released.