Sim Processor Thresh - On or Off?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buddhatree, Jul 2, 2015.

1. TechAde

TechAde Registered

Think of that setting as "How many frames of latency do I want?".

Forcing it to 1 prevents the GPU buffering any more than one frame. This gives a latency advantage over setting it to 2, 3 or even higher but also limits the frame rate compared to a higher setting. Allowing the GPU to buffer more frames allows it to work more efficiently, hence the higher frame rate.

In testing I've seen 2 give a substantial frame rate increase over 1 but then very little or no increase at all with 3 and above (but a definite latency increase!).

2. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I think you are messing with "max prerended frames" settings. This thread is about CPU not GPU.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

3. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

If you look at the thread trail, @buddhatree was mentioning pre-rendered frames in a post which started out related to this topic, and others replied to that part of the conversation there.

4. TechAde

TechAde Registered

No messing, I am talking about max pre-rendered frames...

Sorry for not being clear.

5. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames: If available, this option - previously known as 'Max Frames to Render Ahead' - controls the number of frames the CPU prepares in advanced of being rendered by the GPU. The default value is 3 - higher values tend to result in smoother but more laggy gameplay, while lower values can help reduce mouse and keyboard lag. However extremely low values such as 0 may hurt performance. Remember, in most cases lag is due to low framerates, so adjusting this option is not an automatic cure to lag issues, nor should it be the first thing you try.

;)

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry, I discussed two separate things and should have thrown 'HT' in there again. If I had a dual core with hyperthreading I wouldn't enable the hyperthreading in order to have 'more than 2 threads' (for gaming), and I would probably leave HT disabled if I had 4 or even 6 cores too. rF2 just seems too sensitive to CPU load/speed changes to risk HT coming along and only giving it half cores to play on.

I haven't played with the processor thresh setting and don't have an opinion on it either way.

7. schigara

schigara Registered

I notice a big difference with my old I7 860 2.8ghz with the Processor Thresh changed to 3. I used to could not run at Rouen with any more than 8 AI otherwise the AI would stutter and my car would go into slow motion and crash and then the game would crash and now I can run 14 AI without the stutter and crashing.

Thanks! Big help on my system.

8. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

OK thanks.

I have tested it set to 3 now, and did not get any different behaviour, and FPS exactly the same as before. This is what I expected to be honest, based on what I was reading - for some people it works well due to their hardware situation and configuration.