Really need help w/ FFB settings for the Fana CSW v2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I just tried the 60s F3 at Monaco. Absolutely love this combo and have a ton of experience with the 60s F3 cars (mostly at 60s Monaco, Spa, and Monza).

Anyways, I'm coming from a T500RS with Paul Loatman's T500RS FFB settings.

I'm back at default FFB settings now and the Fanatec ClubSport Wheel V2 is almost undriveable. The jolts are insane. So overly direct and sharp. It's so mechanical feeling as if someone got a metal hammer and smashed my wheelbase or my desk. It's ridiculous. It's insanely sharp and hard/loud metallic clanking just from maybe hitting a curb or something. It's not just curbs though, irregularties in the tracks, small humps, little bumps down a straight away, etc. Seriously, it's not normal...

In order to have the game playable, I had to up smoothing to 10, and even 20!! 20 was way too much, 10 seemed pretty good but the problem with 10 is that it also kills all the other forces as well, like tyre grip and such. I don't need any smoothing AT ALL generally applied to anything EXCEPT the insanely over-sharpness of bumps and such...

The potential is there as I ran the Clio in the rain on a real smooth track and it was fine (very good in-fact)... We need another "Paul Loatman" for the Fana CSW V2....Damn.....

P.S.
    - My 60's F3 FFB multi was between 80 and 90 for all my testing. I had no software clipping (besides some harsh bumps like curbs) according to the pedal plugin.
    - Fanatec's control panel damping is set to 0%
    - Everything set to 0/off in the wheel's onboard settings except FF @ 100, FOR @ 100, and DRI @ 3.
    - Adding damping helps a bit but damping screws everything up. Turning the wheel, feel, reactions, speed, etc. Damping basically screws-up everything else in order to fix 1 issue.

There is no way that running RFactor 2's default FFB settings are the optimum settings for the Fanatec CSW V2...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Here are my settings Spinelli, hopefully it will make the wheel feel better for you, I have absolutely no gripes with it at all (CSW V1), just wish it had 3 times the torque ;)
    This is my openwheeler set, used with the FR35 for the past year.

Code:
    "Force Feedback":{
        "Brake effects on steer axis":0,
        "Brake effects on steer axis#":"0 = Brake effects on brake axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.",
        "Brake effects strength":10000,
        "Brake effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all brake effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)",
        "Brake spring coefficient":0.3,
        "Brake spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
        "Brake spring saturation":1,
        "Brake spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",
        "Clutch effects on steer axis":0,
        "Clutch effects on steer axis#":"0 = Clutch effects on clutch axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.",
        "Clutch effects strength":10000,
        "Clutch effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all clutch effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)",
        "Clutch spring coefficient":0.2,
        "Clutch spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
        "Clutch spring saturation":1,
        "Clutch spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",
        "Gearbox effects on steer axis":0,
        "Gearbox effects on steer axis#":"0 = Gearbox effects on gearbox 'axis', 1 = brake effects on steering axis.",
        "Gearbox effects strength":10000,
        "Gearbox effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all gearbox effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)",
        "Gearbox spring coefficient":0,
        "Gearbox spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
        "Gearbox spring saturation":1,
        "Gearbox spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",
        "Ignore controllers":0,
        "Ignore controllers#":"Do not use FFB on: 1=controller1, 2=controller2, 4=controller3, 8=controller4 (or add values to ignore multiple controllers, for example 15 ignores all)",
        "Jolt magnitude":1.5,
        "Jolt magnitude#":"How strong jolts from other cars (or walls) are.  Suggested Range: -2.0 to 2.0.",
        "Off-road multiplier":0.3,
        "Off-road multiplier#":"Temporary test variable to reduce force feedback strength off-road (0.0 = zero FFB, 1.0 = full FFB)",
        "Other spring coefficient":0.2,
        "Other spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0) for any other FFB-capable controllers",
        "Other spring saturation":1,
        "Other spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0) for any other FFB-capable controllers",
        "Rumble strip magnitude":0,
        "Rumble strip magnitude#":"How strong the canned rumble strip rumble is.  Range 0.0 to 1.0, 0.0 disables effect.",
        "Rumble strip pull factor":1.5,
        "Rumble strip pull factor#":"How strongly wheel pulls right\/left when running over a rumble strip. Suggested range: -1.5 to 1.5.",
        "Rumble strip update thresh":0.05,
        "Rumble strip update thresh#":"Amount of change required to update rumble strip effect (0.0 - 1.0)",
        "Rumble strip wave type":0,
        "Rumble strip wave type#":"Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.",
        "Skip updates":0,
        "Skip updates#":"Apparently some drivers can't handle a quick FFB update rate, so use this hack to skip the given number of updates (0=full update rate, 1=half, 2=one-third, 3=one-quarter, etc.)",
        "Steering effects strength":10000,
        "Steering effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all steering effects (torque, resistance, static spring, jolt, etc.)",
        "Steering resistance coefficient":0,
        "Steering resistance coefficient#":"Coefficient to use for steering resistance.  Range: -1.0 to 1.0",
        "Steering resistance saturation":0,
        "Steering resistance saturation#":"Saturation value to use for steering resistance.  Range: 0 - 1.0",
        "Steering resistance type":0,
        "Steering resistance type#":"0=use damping, 1=use friction",
        "Steering spring coefficient":0,
        "Steering spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
        "Steering spring saturation":0,
        "Steering spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",
        "Steering torque capability":2.5,
        "Steering torque capability#":"The maximum torque capability of the wheel (in Nm, obviously)",
        "Steering torque extrap blend":0,
        "Steering torque extrap blend#":"Higher blends of extrapolated value allows driver to feel torque changes even when actual torque exceeds 'input max' (0.0=disables, 1.0=max)",
        "Steering torque extrap time":0.015,
        "Steering torque extrap time#":"Time in seconds to extrapolate steering torque based on current change (Range: 0.001 to 0.050.  To disable, set 'blend' to 0.0)",
        "Steering torque filter":0,
        "Steering torque filter#":"Number of old samples to use to filter torque from vehicle's steering column (0-32, note that higher values increase effective latency)",
        "Steering torque minimum":0.05,
        "Steering torque minimum#":"Minimum torque to apply in either direction to overcome steering wheel's 'FFB deadzone' caused by friction",
        "Steering torque per-vehicle mult":1,
        "Steering torque per-vehicle mult#":"Per-vehicle steering column torque multiplier (this is a copy of the .CCH value)",
        "Steering torque sensitivity":1.25,
        "Steering torque sensitivity#":"Sensitivity curve applied to representable torques: 0.0=low 1.0=linear 2.0=high",
        "Steering torque zero-speed mult":0.6,
        "Steering torque zero-speed mult#":"Multiplier at zero speed to reduce unwanted oscillation from strong static aligning torque",
        "Test_workaround":true,
        "Test_workaround#":"Workaround for apparent driver CTD on release",
        "Throttle effects on steer axis":0,
        "Throttle effects on steer axis#":"0 = Throttle effects on throttle axis, 1 = throttle effects on steering axis.",
        "Throttle effects strength":10000,
        "Throttle effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all throttle effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)",
        "Throttle spring coefficient":0.1,
        "Throttle spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
        "Throttle spring saturation":1,
        "Throttle spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",
        "Type":1,
        "Type#":"Type of force feedback: 0=off 1=wheel 2=joystick 3=rumble\/gamepad 4=custom"
      }

3. whiplash

whiplash Registered

I run 100% damping in the fanatec-settings (remember that this setting works different to logitech, it has to be enabled for certain effects), and drift@2, and for most cars ffb 1.0. Some (dallara 1.2, nsx 1.1) need a little more. CSW V2 with GT2 rim, all other settings stock (no STM, STS, STC@7). Honestly, there are minor things i would like to have tweaked, but only just driving with the actual setup is absolutly addictive... :D

4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

CSW 1 and 2 do not respond the same in rF2. CSW 1 feels almost perfect at all default. 2 owners are having troubles.

Spin: what is your STC set at? Get rid of the silly console DRIft. Put damping at 100% in control panel. You will need to use smoothing. I have to use 6 to 8 even with CSW 1.

And basically list what, if anything, is not default in controller.json. Did you try getting rF2 to generate new JSONs for you?

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya, I just put RF2 back to default.

I use DRI @ 3 because it is the "true" off (0-2 add artificial slowing down and damping, 4-5 add artificial "boosting").

I have onboard shock and spring at 0 but control panel's at 0 as-well but you're saying I should always leave the control panel's damping at enabled (and @ 100)??? I've never heard that before, in-fact, I've never been able to find any info about the differences between Fanatec's onboard damping and control panel's...

I was using default/linear STS (I think that would be 1.0).

I think all I changed was STC (set to 7.3).

EDIT: I just remembered that I may have added some STM. This would definitely be the problem if indeed true as I heard no more than 0.5% is needed with the CSW V2, but I would have added probably 2-3 % if I indeed added STM. I hope that is the issue. I'll let you guys know in a few hours!

6. bwana

bwana Registered

Im sure someone will set us straight. I find myself keeping smoothing between 3/6 and running 100FF and FOR100 and adjusting slider to 85/90 FFB. will try the F3/ Monaco combo tonight.

ps. the rest set to default

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Bwana, I may have added 2-3% STM and totally forgot. That would most likely be the problem because even smoothing at 6 was way too sharp for me last night. I hope that is what happened, I'll post here in a few hours.

8. whiplash

whiplash Registered

I just want to add that i only use driftmode@2 for cars where i need a lot of steering angle (nsx, corvette), otherwise drift off seems to give me better feeling/weight. And that's maybe only because of the heavy GT2-rim, it may not even be necessery with a lighter wheel. Especially openwheelers work way better for me without it. For me there is no need for any STM, i can feel even the slightest bumps or changes in weight distribution, i guess IF you use any, go very low.

As i understand it, if you disable dampening in the control panel, you`re only using the spring effects for all FFB, which may lead to your snappy feeling. I only tried it long time ago, but dampening @ 100% always felt best to me. There is no need for any smoothing at all, this would just kill the sensational FFB-details.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  9. nipzon

nipzon Registered

My CSWV2 gives me all the ffb even down to the flat spotting on the tires, but in the bends it clips. So I have FF100, FOR70, DRI3 and the rest at OFF. Ingame the multiplier at .60 to help with the clipping, dampening and spring at 0.

Edit, those multiplier settings are for the V8's and for other cars it is at 1 and higher because of the clipping being lesser.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I just checked my STM, it's only set to 0.5% ("0.005") :(. I hope the problem was the control panel's damping set to 0 instead of 100

Interesting, I have to research this.

nipzon, what about your control panel's damping?

11. nipzon

nipzon Registered

Control panel dampening is at 0%.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Hmmm, my CSW with latest firmware has a Drift setting that works like this: -3 -2 -1 OFF +1 +2 +3. OFF is the only off. v2 might have changed that.

Control panel damping at 100% does not affect rF2 that I am aware of, but does affect some other titles. I prefer it at 100% in case some setting at some point in a .JSON or a core change to FFB suddenly needs this setting. I don't want to have the equivalent of the only strength setting in the control panel to be off.

STC at 7.3 should be the correct setting...so that doesn't sound like an issue.

STM should be set so that you get just the tiniest oscillation in the wheel when you enter a car. Should seem like the vibration you would get from a big V8 in a light car like a Cobra when revving in neutral. Keep fiddling until you find that spot. It's probably a very small number for v2 if you believe the design philosophy rhetoric from Fanatec.

It would be frustrating the hell out of me if I spent that kind of money on a wheel and it didn't perform properly. The v1 as I said is as close to perfection as I could expect right out of the box for 98% of the cars.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya, the V1's DRI modes are different, I have no idea why.

I need to mess around with the wheel and RF2 a bit more, haven't had time the last day or two.

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I just played the karts but with a stock "detected" controller file. Everything seemed fine and definitely playable. Nothing overly harsh to the point of feeling like the wheelbase was physically about to break in half, lol. Very nice. In-fact, I even achieved a new PB with the junior kart @ Quebec short.

I started with the default smoothing of 4 which seemed like way too little compared to last time (OP [original post] - even 8 was much too harsh then), but I tried it anyways and everything was fine. I tried smoothing @ 1 for a while and great as-well. Finally, I brought it down to 0 and that was also just fine.

Furthermore, I raised the FFB multi from 80 to 85. Did a stint or two, then tried 90, then after another 40 or so laps I tried 95. Everything was still great.

Finally, I raised the FOR (wheel setting) to 120 from 100 and everything was still just fine :)

Differences between OP's test and todays test
    [TABLE="class: grid, width: 600"]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]OP's Test (Bad)
    [/TD]
    [TD]Today's Test (Good)
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Vehicle
    [/TD]
    [TD]ISI 60s F3 Spark
    [/TD]
    [TD]ISI Kart Junior
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Track
    [/TD]
    [TD]ISI 60s Monaco
    [/TD]
    [TD]ISI Quebec kart Short
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]RFactor 2 controller file
    [/TD]
    [TD]Custom
    [/TD]
    [TD]Default "Detected"
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Fanatec Control Panel Dampening strength
    [/TD]
    [TD]0%
    [/TD]
    [TD]50%
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

I can't see the F3/Monaco being more harsh than the karts/Quebec. I'm thinking the control panel dampening had something to do with it...I'm confused though because with the T500RS, I always had dampening and spring disabled; I also have both of them disabled from the CSW's onboard settings but are we really supposed to leave the control panel one enabled unlike with Thrustmaster and Logitech wheels?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2015
  15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Based on your table, put the control panel to 100% like you're supposed to and then use 1.0 multi and adjust smoothing and other settings accordingly.

16. whiplash

whiplash Registered

That's what i told you, FFB in general consists of spring and damper effects. If you completly remove damping (as you would by changing the control panel settings to zero), there is about half of the effects lost due to a wrong setting.

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

But isn't the game supposed to be outputting/generating it's own damping and spring effects? Why do Logitechs and Thrustmaters work great with, both, control panel damping and spring set to 0?