[WIP] rFactor Import/Export Scripts for Blender

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by Traveller, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

how is this coming laong?

2. Traveller

Traveller Member

I've performed no work on the scripts since this release. I'm currently using them with Blender 2.75a on a little something I had to tinker with.

Progress with the scripts has been slow overall, with periods of work among stretches of no work. It took almost four-and-a-half years to get to this point, after all.

I was hoping this release would spur some interest in the community. Maybe someone would provide information or insight that could help move them along. Otherwise, I have a couple of things to look at that may improve performance, as opposed to adding capability.

3. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

So it's complete enough to use? I thought it was still under development. I don't know blender, but I'll give it a go and let you know.

4. Traveller

Traveller Member

The scripts are complete and fairly stable with regard to static GMT's. There is a list of to-do's in the documentation. Basically these to-do's are locking down rF1 and rF2 data, handling rigged GMT's and ANM files, and changing material handling over to nodes.

5. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Great work Traveller... It works very well. I didn't even know Blender before today and I was up and running in minutes. it's much more straight forward than 3D max and a hell of a lot cheaper. I can see I'll be adding this to my work flow.

View attachment 17467

6. Richard E Long

Richard E Long Registered

I'll second the thought the scripts are solid (with the exceptions Traveller noted).

For my "private collection", I've converted most of my favorite tracks & cars from rF1. Not finished enough (or have permission) for public release, but good enough to keep me happy for now. If you are familiar with rF2 modding, things work well - if not, brush up on that side of things. I don't find the scripts getting in the way of work. My own sloppy housekeeping seems to always be the thing causing problems.

I have a few tidbits on the website in my sig - more in the works.

7. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Nice tuts Richard... How about a nice UVW Unwrap for Blender. I've watched a few now, but I think one for a car would be nice, as it pertains to our goal here.

8. Richard E Long

Glad to share what info I have. However, my knowledge of UV unwrapping specific to a car is limited to what I've picked up looking at other folks' work.

To start understanding what to do when unwrapping a car, import some of ISI's cars. Either the whole car or just the car body. Select the body, tab into Edit Mode, make sure the whole mesh is selected - not just points or edges. Open the UV/Image Edit window to see the UV map displayed. Study the way the ISI folks have created their UV maps. Their approach to UV map layout appears to provide the best environment reflections (if you are adding those to your car).

There are a couple of concepts that are consistent. And a couple of Blender unwrap tools that work with those concepts.

The first concept deals with seams. Seams (much like clothing) are where two areas of the car mesh meet (and separate). The primary tool to use here is Blender's Mark Seam - found in Edit Mode : Mesh : Edges : Mark Seam. The body does not have to be modeled as separate meshes to use seams. The Mark Seam tool allows the UV map to separate at the marked seams without affecting the actual mesh.

The second concept deals with islands. Islands are sub-images that appear on the larger image/texturemap - like headlights or brand logos. To create an island UV map, use either all the faces of a separate mesh or a sub-selection of faces from a larger mesh.

There is more detailed info out on the web than I can provide, but focus on the unwrap info dealing with seams & with islands.

9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

403 Forbidden error........

Link is dead, could that be?

10. Emery

Emery Registered

From first post? They're working for me.

11. Navigator

Navigator Registered

?? Strange, I tried time and time again......
    First post, yes.......
    [​IMG]

12. Richard E Long

Which link is that?

I just tried all the links I found in this thread, they all worked for me - on several different devices….

Willing to help, just don't know which link to double check.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2015
  13. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Those two in the first post, both go them I get the message as in the picture above.

14. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Dropbox link? The picture says Google.

Wait, you mean the picture itself; I took the picture from screen and uploaded it on dropbox to show here.

15. Richard E Long

okay, you got me - just tried them again and both worked - several places.

Could it be something with your internet provider blocking Google drive?

16. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thats a good one.......I don't know.

Ow well, bed time now (long past even) and I will try again at work than in a few weeks, thanks!

17. Traveller

Traveller Member

The link worked for me. It's to my Google drive, and will open a save file dialog.

18. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Both links worked for me as well.

19. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Got it now, took me a few computers to try, but got it :)

Thanks!

20. Traveller

Traveller Member

Good deal.