Hosting mods / Port forwarding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lloydvdw, Jun 10, 2015.

1. lloydvdw

lloydvdw Registered

Hi everyone,

Every two weeks 3 friends and myself plan a race evening. We make our own mods and host them so we can race against each other online.
    In the beginning we had a lot of troubles hosting a server, but after some research and effort it finally worked for me to host servers. (I was the only one able to host)

This has worked for years until now. I moved houses and have a new internet connection (same provider though). I'm a Belgian and with Telenet as provider.

In order to succesfully host servers, I had to "forward ports". See below.
    I forwarded the same ports but it still doesn't work :-(

View attachment 16947

My friend can see my server in the main room, but when he clicks on it, he can not enter. It shows no information, except for the following text in red:

"Mod Installed: No
    Mod not found"

The mod is definitely installed on both pc's. I tried hosting different mods, restarting the system, disconnecting the network cable, turning off windows firewall, ... I'm all out of idea's

Is there anyone who can help me please? Or are there any Belgians with Telenet who had the same problem?

Thank you very much on beforehand!!
    Kind regards

2. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Are you using the same router?
    I had a similar problem and matter what I did the provider's router would block the connections. Swapping to a different router cured the problem.

3. canastos

canastos Registered

Try adding port 64297 TCP to be forwarded, it's default port for internal HTTP server (and you don't need to hide your local IP, it's local to you ;))

byyyyyyyyye

4. lloydvdw

lloydvdw Registered

Ok I will try that, thanks!!

Is there a way of checking which ports I need to forward? At the moment I can not test it on my own, I need my friend to check if he can enter my server.

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The only two ports that need to be forwarded are listed in the multiplayer.json (just search for "port"). The sim port needs to be TCP and UDP and the HTTP port only needs TCP. All those other ports you are forwarding are not needed by rF2.

6. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

:D, Jip

Works like a charm and with a low ping too. With Telenet's smallest connection 20 drivers isn't an issue even with a few alt skins. :p
    Make sure your PC is wired to your router.

About the Vmod.
    - Make sure the file name does not contain any spaces.
    - Make sure it's in the servers installs packages folder and installed from that folder on the server install

Note: Your server install can be the same as your game install. But i prefer a separate install, so i can login like my friends and check if everything is working as it should.

If you need an extra Belgium buddy, send me a PM. ;)

7. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

- Like Noel said the 2 ports you need to forward are in the multiplayer.json
    - Set the protocol both to "BEIDE". just to make sure. So you just need 2 lines.
    - Check your local PC IP !!!: go back a page on the telenet router settings: there you'll see all the devices local IP adresses.
    - Everytime you restart your PC your local IP can change, unless you set it to a static IP.

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Also check your windows firewall. Hit Win+R, type wf.msc and click okay. Then check the inbound rules to be sure you have a rule to allow rFactor2.exe.

9. Louis

Louis Registered

Noel Hibbard still active in the fórum?

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you click his name on the left, you will see he was online 6 days ago. You can also then click Messages and see he posted 9 days ago, updating his GetMod manager. Then you don't need to drag up 3 year old threads.

Noel Hibbard likes this.