Project BruteForce2 - IONI-based DIY DD FFB Wheel

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Beano, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Registered

Will give that a go cookie , If we still struggle . Thx a lot for your time ? I will be sure to post as it might help someone else with the same issue one day ...

2. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Registered

Worked out my problem. I had my encoder set wrong In granity at 2500 PPR instead of 5000 .. All sorted now .. Hope this helps someone else .. I rewired my encoder three times !!

3. cookie

cookie Registered

Great that you got it going it always something simple that catches you out, now we need a report from you and Dave on your OSW wheels, I've moved my A/F wheel onto my second rig because the OSW is the better wheel for rFactor, but I still think the A/F is better for iRacing.

4. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Gents, one little question;

I set the PWM at 3.4khz as that was the picture on the guide.
    I would like to know what that figure actually is?
    Is it the update rate?

Reason being in RF2 I was getting CPU spikes and after consulting the known issues doc in the core RF2 folder I tested the "skip update" hack and that fixed it.
    This I think means the MMOS software is no handling the speed of the update rate of RF2 FFB.
    So I am wondering if the PWM setting needs to be higher or if there is another solution.

Cheers

5. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Registered

Well lads , I Gotta say ! I love my new OSW ( I can drive the v8s ) and that's proof how good this wheel is ! I can catch just about every slip and slide just like the real car . I'm so goddamn happy with jumping in and going a head and upgrading my CSW v2 ! I'm very happy and it's just the start . Already smashing my best times and it's been two days ..
    I only run Iracing , and with this beauty I'm loving it ( well more than before ) !

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Finally got my OSW runng this morning. It's awesome and so much fun!!!

Unfortunately, different FFB hardware doesn't change a piece of software's (the games') physics so each sim still obviously drives exactly the same (as it should since the software/game itself hasn't changed) - so, at the end of the day, the exact same game is being played - but the OSW sure does increases the overall enjoyment and immersion rate tremendously regardleas of how great/bad, realistic/unrealistic a given game may be.

Ollie is awesome, guys. We communicated for two months as I "harassed" him with tons of questions, thoughts, concerns, ideas, etc. He always gave great, informative feedback and was always very polite and patient. Actually, he even told me that I sort of "forced" him to learn even more because of all my questions and thoughts I sent him [emoji3]; so he's more knowledgable now than ever! He's awesome!

Thank you, Led :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2016
  7. rubberneck

rubberneck Registered

Hey Spinelli,

Glad you liked your new DD wheel, just got mine running also ( from a G25 to this is quite a change ). I also bought the kit through Ollie and agree with your assessment of his character, awesome to deal with.

Couple of questions: What case did you use and how did you wire a fan to the 24v power supply? I ended up making a case and have no fan at the moment; according to Ollie I might not need one depending on the ambient temperature I use the wheel in. I think I'd like to add one for the summer months though.

The wheel feels great with Rfactor2 but, I also play a lot of Power and Glory and don't have the setup yet; might be asking too much of an old of a sim. The wheel feels like a glorified centering spring at the moment; maybe some plr. work is needed.

Ya,
    rubberneck

8. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Registered

Ok well still had an issue with my wheel not giving me the degrees I had set in MMO . Now fixed with
    Encoder CpR 20000

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya, I have a lot of that feeling of just basically a glorified centering spring (definitely helps with oversteer but that's it) which just kills braking, entry, and mid-corner (exit not as much). I actually have had this feeling in RF2 as-well (regardless of wheel, T500RS, TX, CSW V2). It's part of the reason I long for more FFB options so I can set things correctly. I have noticed that lowering caster in RF2 does help give a bit more FFB dynamics regarding front-end slip/grip in RF2 but I find it weird and highly unrealistic having to resort to like 2 degrees of caster just to get FFB information to me when in real-life, if anything, drivers go for a lot of caster (I even saw an interview of an IMSA engineer in the 90s say that if it wasn't for steering loads getting too high, that drivers would always want the max possible caster - quite the opposite of RF2). Anyways, that's just my personal opinion/experience, I'm glad you're enjoying RF2 :)

Regarding P&G...Yup, you have to play with the controller.INI (or the settings might still be in the player.PLR with GTR 2, can't remember) and/or with RealFeel - all applies to SCE as-well (any gMotor based game other than RF2). I had to play with settings in those games (RF1, GTL, etc.) everytime I got a new wheel so you're definitely going to have to do some playing around. The good thing is, no matter what wheel you have, from a $50 Logi Momo Racing wheel to a $600 Fana CSW V2 and beyond, you should be able to get everyone of those games to feel the way you want, or thereabouts.

[HR][/HR]

I haven't spent much time with the OSW. It's difficult to play with it because I don't know how to change the wheel angle.

So, does anyone know how to raise the pitch-angle of the OSW? I'm pretty sure I'm using this piece HERE

Not only do the pics show a decent pitch-angle...:
    PIC 1
    PIC 2

...but the product description states "Adjustable from -5 to + 20 degree inclination"

Here's mine though:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's no more room (towards the driver) to move the bolt so as to raise the pitch-angle, it's all the way forward just like in the sim-lab pics yet mine is nothing like the sim-labs pics :(

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2016
  10. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

How about rotating the motor for 180°, it looks like its upside down?
    The cables on the first official PIC are on the other side.

[​IMG]

And then I think you can unscrew bottom side screws and pull the motor towards to tilt it.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2016
  11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

It looks like I can't move the screw any more further but I hope I'm wrong :)

Hmmm......I heard it doesn't matter which way it's mounted, also, the label sticker in the pic is upside down while mine is not; this is exactly how it was delivered to me from Ollie (and tested by him). I could be wrong but the motor looks identical regardless of if it's upside down or not....

I got another reply from another forum saying
    but I don't know what he means and I felt bad asking (maybe English isn't his first language). How can I rotate the mount upside down? It only works one way (flat part, 4 holes, on desk)...

12. rubberneck

rubberneck Registered

Hi Spin,

Does the plate that is attached to the front of the motor have a slot that corresponds to the side plates slot (the bolt slot on the bottom of the side plate) ? Hard to see from the pictures but, if you slightly loosen the top pivot nut then loosen the bottom slot nut enough so that the bolt allows the motor to travel through both the slot in the side plate, and if the front plate does have a slot, through that as well. That seem like the only way it could make it to a 20 degree angle. Hope this helps.

By the way did you wire a fan in the box that holds you DD wheel kit?

13. rubberneck

rubberneck Registered

Hi Spin,

Check to see if the front plate has a slot that corresponds with the side plates slot. You might have to move the motor though that slot; the bolt might be binding on the inner slot. Just a guess.

Did you wire a fan into your DD kit box?

14. rubberneck

rubberneck Registered

Hi Spin,

Check to see if there are slots on the front plate that correspond with the slot on the side plate, maybe the bolt is binding on the inner slot. I'm not sure if there are inner slots, just a guess.

15. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

I agree , I think there is a slot behind the one in the Side Plate. This would also imply the bottom 'adjuster screw' has a nut on the back of it and doesn't screw into the Front Plate.

View attachment 19461

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2016
  16. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Registered

Have mine set at 4.2 .. Had a friend who knows a little about the Osw and suggested some setting and basically fixed my issues ...

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You guys may be right, there may be another slider-hole on the other plate behind. Ok, I'll have to lift this heavy beast off my desk. My desk needs a break anyways, lol.

Someone on the iracing forums told me to rotate the front plate (not the motor) 180 degrees. That may be what Prodigy was trying to explain to me in his first pic above (I thought he meant the actual motor though).

I'll take a better look at it all later and report back, I have a feeling those hidden holes on the inside my be the answer.

Thanks for all the help!

Daniel, it seems like you have your issues fixed but, ya, set to 5,000 and 20,000 for 5,000 PPR encoders, and 2,500 and 10,000 for 2500 PPR encoders. And 3.4 KHz or whatever.

18. softslider

softslider Registered

Hi,

My OSW DIY is almost in final stage and I'm going to buy noise filters(Ferriate Choke Cores).
    Is there anybody who has knowledge about the noise filter and can say which one is better for OSW between 2 graphs in attached picture?

View attachment 19473

Thanks.

19. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Same here, glad you mentioned it.

Cookie suggest a report. I have all the photos ready. I need to just tweak a couple of things to get it spot on and will do a report.

20. jkn87

jkn87 Registered

spinelli, what rim do you use with your OSW? my osw is about to arrive mid march from tomo meglic and gotta find a nice rim but can't find anyone with button box for a nice price..