Project BruteForce2 - IONI-based DIY DD FFB Wheel

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Beano, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Well he wrote all that to me in July or August; I'm not sure what the current status of those parts are.

I don't know if he has a site but I can give you his email. I'll find it when I get home later.

2. Rik

Rik Registered

wooow you are very crazy ah ah ah ah ah

Thanks for this thread ;) i'm crazy too :)

3. Beano

Beano Registered

Hey Guys,
    IONI Pro HC will be able to drive the big MiGe, Lenze and AKM servos to full potential. If you intend using those servos, and make use of the full torque, get IONI Pro HC, otherwise the standard or Pro would be fine (for most people)

When I visited Tero of Granite Devices in September, we discussed forward development of these controllers for FFB wheels, and I suspect IONIZER will not be developed - no need, as Pro HC will be more than capable, plus, there are heaps of other points I have discussed with Tero on where to go with this....

Suffice it to say, there are big changes coming, I will feedback in the next week or 2.

edit:I have also added 1x Cube diagram to the first page, thanx all!

Cheers,
    Beano

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2015
  4. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Good news then! Thanks for the heads up.

Can you tell, at some point there will be no need to use the Disco board (IONI will do both - driving servo and acting as FFB controller) or that won't change?
    Do you have any contact with MMO? I'm asking, because I heard the software don't support rF2's soft lock request - the sim soft locks wheel range to the selected car and that seems to not work with OSW.

5. Led566

Led566 Registered

Confim it doesn't work.
    Not a big deal if you ask me, since I record MMOs profiles for any rF2 car with different filtering AND Steering lock.
    Those profiles could be loaded/changed even during an rF2 session.

6. Marek Lesniak

OK, good there's a work around for it. Still though, I think it would be better to handle it back to the sim.

7. Beano

Beano Registered

[bb]UPDATE - TERO is running IONI Pro HC - 9 Dec 2015[/b]
    Hey All,
    Just had a nice email from Tero.

During this past weekend, Tero and Aki had a first test-run of their MMos DIY wheel - yeay, lots of good things to come!!

They were so eager, fitted a wheel-rim, albeit on a very nice hub Aki has quickly done on the inhouse machinery. The hardware is based on the Disco board, MMos FW and IONI Pro HC. The servo has a Sin/Cos encoder and a is a scary 36 Nm (peak) motor.

[​IMG]

Tero very quickly prototyped few ideas in firmware level (I can see a lot more of this coming very soon, I will follow up with another post, hopefully tonight, about recent discussions we had in Finland)

-Encoder output from IONI GPO pins routed to the Disco, this could give sin/cos resolution advantage to the Disco. However the first implementation has too much jitter in quadrature output which is pretty much negating the benefits - more work on this will be done

-Effects (spring, friction, damping, inertia) calculation ported to IONI. This immediately made an improvement over MMos, and will be fine-tuned
    Tero is still not fully familiar with MMos' filter principles, but at least it's friction and inertia effects seemed a bit odd, he feels. Friction looks like "viscous damping" and inertia effect is very weird: at slow wheel speeds it resists movement, and at any higher speed it boosts it. However it may be, Tero will implement those functions directly to IONI to reduce latencies on those filters.

See Tero's video where he is testing his version, implemented directly on IONI:
    https://youtu.be/KRt6gOg8Z3U

The reason why a lot of these effects and functions will move over to the IONI itself: If the simulator update rate is 60 or 120 Hz and all post processing is done on the IONI controller hardware, there should be no need for going above that update rate from USB. It should not make any difference in sending setpoints at 1kHz if it would just repeat same setpoint many times before the simulator gives a new value.

The above scenario of course only applies directly to the IONI. Of course, this is the fun-part of DIY DD FFB: We have a great drive-controller developer working very closely with the community, to improve and implement sim-specific functions directly onto the controller, to reduce latencies.

Tero will implement and test many things after our recent discussions, some will work, others won't, but the end result will be a very good and stable, low-cost powerful motor controller, which will allow you to select the motor of your choosing.

This here is a watershed moment for us, and we can expect rapid progress in this arena.

Will keep you posted with more.
    Cheers,
    Beano

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2015
  8. Marek Lesniak

Holy cow... things get better!

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

10. Beano

Beano Registered

Thank you Spin, exactly the reason why I luv a wheel with high-torque. It is not for everyone, but if you want to emulate those cars, you need to get as close to 1:1 torque ratio as possible :)

Cheers,
    Beano

11. hwangm

hwangm Registered

Hi Beano, hows things-
    Just lurking around forums and saw you here- great freaking project this. I am loving rf2 been racing here for the past 4 weeks - got the new encoder and switched to 20k in mmos and 5k in granite Sw. Felt the difference- dec20th is my 1 year anniversary since i start using osw- and its still running strong. Thanks to you and everyone in the community.
    Peace
    Marcus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Beano

Beano Registered

Hey Marcus,
    What a nice surprise :) It has been a while, hope all is well, Bud?

Yes, I am not that often here, I should visit a lot more as this is a very nice community with highly constructive feedback!

We should catch up and have a good chat, I miss you on our chats, would be great to see how things are. I have celebrated my MMos wheel a few months ago too, I cannot believe it is more than a year ago I started Bruteforce threads over at iRacing. How time flies, unbelievable.

Anyway, I am off to Tokyo and Seoul for a week, I will be in touch though via forums. Let's talk soon.

Take care!

Beano

13. hwangm

hwangm Registered

Amazing dedication Beano[emoji4], I Know right time flies when you having fun, felt like yesterday I just finished the built.
    Safe flight- safe travel bud. Give rf2 a go when you have spare time, I am honestly in love with its track and tyre dynamic especially in race.
    Cheers,
    Marcus

14. nikdek69

nikdek69 Registered

Hi, just got an OSW (small Mige + Ioni pro), the behavior is strange, FFB seems to be inverted, VERY strong and exiting pits is impossible, the car wants to turn the other way...
    Is there any magic setting for rf2 ?
    BTW the OSW is ok in iRacing and AC, but in GSCE and R3E no.. maybe because they all use directx input

cheers
    Nicola

15. Led566

Led566 Registered

Make sure that in the [your ffb controller filename].json file you have this: "Steering effects strength" : -10000,

16. hwangm

hwangm Registered

Beat me to it nicola- yup [emoji115] you need to invert the ffb and all is well after.
    Marcus

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I was talking to ollie and he says you only need the PSP-600-48 (600w, 48v) PSU to drive the LARGE MiGe to 27.9 Nm and 25A to the IONI Pro HC because the Discovery Shield capacitors actually hold a lot of reserve power so you only need a relatively small PSU... What do you guys think?

18. softslider

softslider Registered

Hello pioneers,

What a great OSW DIY thread this is!

After reading this thread and below linked PDF file, I started my OSW DIY project although I'm a noob for this kind of HW area. I already ordered 1X IONI Pro HC kit and will order small MIGE(seems enough for me), Antek linear PSU(PS-6N50), DISCO board and etc.

http://boxthislap.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/BuildGuideonProjectBruteForce.pdf

Actually I'm not familar with HW schematic but I got the idea how to wire and connect each other thanks to the detailed explanation and pictures. BTW I'm blocked at using external case. For the external case, I have a mind to use Coolermaster Elite 130 as it seems able to cover bigger linear PSU.

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mini-itx-elite-series/elite130/

Reviewing this thread content, I got to know the following interfaces needs to be exposed for external connection on the case. In case of PC assembly, there is already pre-made connection plate in the mother board and I don't have to worry about it. But for this DIY, I need to make whole things.
    1) Fuse
    2) Main power switch
    3) Power filter 10A
    4) 2 * USB thru connector // Discovery board
    5) D-SUB DB15 2ROW 15PIN // Motor encoder calbe
    6) Industrial EStop
    7) Motor power calbe 4PIN

Q1) First, I have no idea how to cover this empty back plate in the case. Normally PSU is located in upper side and main board's connectors are located in lower side. But I use linear PSU and no PC mother board is used in the DIY project. Firstly I need to know how to cover this back side(using what?) and start considering how to make interfaces for above list.
    View attachment 18974

Q2) Once back side cover is prepared, need to make holls for 1),2),3) and 4) maybe via drilling. If Q1 is resolved, I think I can make this happen although I don't have skillful hands.

Q3) For the D-SUB 15 pin connection, I find somethig like below but it is not for 15pin(2row) and I couldn't find similar one for the 15 pin. Anybody knows if there is this kind of product(or just bracket) for 15pin(2row)?
    View attachment 18973

Q4) I don't have idea what can be used for industial Estop interface and motor power connection using 4 pins on the case.

As of now, I know the concept of the connection. But I'm a little blocked at finding and selecting interface connectors. Any of your suggestion, guidence or help would be very very appreciated. I'd like to make the back side of the case like something like neat below(captured from MarcusHwang's blog).
    View attachment 18972

Thanks for reading.

EDIT:
    I see that DISCO board and IONI don't have holes for attachment. I found board edge mounting kit which makes these boards can be attached to plate. But in the case, I also have no idea how these can be attached. I'd like to know or to see how to attach them to the case and how layout in the case.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2016
  19. Led566

Led566 Registered

IMHO a better option would be to buy a 800W/1000W Linear Power supply from Antek.
    AnTekinc

20. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Why not just buying the PSU which is proven to work and avoid the unnecessary fuss about will the smaller voltage PSU work or not. Go with the one that is used in most kits and have no stress about it.