Marussia F1/Formula Renault DRS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by uhntissbaby111, Jun 8, 2015.

1. uhntissbaby111

uhntissbaby111 Registered

Hello, I recently got rfactor 2 (so far I'm liking it very much), and one of the things that has puzzled me is DRS. Whenever I use it in the F1 or formula Renault car, if I make any kind of movement with the wheel greater than a few degrees the tail steps out and I lose control. I understand that with DRS engaged you should expect a bit of that, but I don't think to this level. Watching F1 you can see that they make movements especially when overtaking, and don't lose control. Or are able to take high speed corners with it enabled, something I haven't been able to do in the sim. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is this a known issue? Thanks

2. Gomslork

Gomslork Registered

DRS is only used in straight lines, and is only deployable at times when the cars are already up to speed. It significantly reduces downforce, something that should not be combined with sharper turns.
    From what you are describing, it sounds like you're trying to use DRS during low speed acceleration, most likely right after a corner. I suppose rf2 lets you do that on tracks where there are no DRS zones, so just keep in mind that it is no designed for use that way, and that the low downforce of the rear wing won't be enough to keep the rear of the car planted.

3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

DRS in rF2 works exactly how supposed to be.
    All what it does is lower the downforce to the clearly calculated degree (and of course lowers the drag).
    No surprises here. It´s all in a reasonable and comprehensible way.
    Learn to use it properly.
    What it could make it worse is when you didn´t setup the car properly, so that the diffusor doesn´t work.

No F1-driver fell from the sky....:)

4. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

When I ran a brief F-Renault 3.5 2014 league one person complained of DRS because in some corners of some tracks I could deploy it much sooner despite doing so before a (gentle) corner, like going a little deeper or sooner in places like Pouhon (Spa) or the last sweeping left hander in Sebring. The thing with DRS is that the car truly is very sensitive to it. If you yank your steering wheel to the side in the very last moment to avoid hitting the car in front, it is likely you'll be upsetting the car too much without any downforce at the rear to keep it stable.

5. uhntissbaby111

http://youtu.be/t5FXhXBUbTs

Thanks the replies. If you watch the video, you can see Jenson takes turn 2 and 5 with DRS enabled. There's no way that could be done in sim

6. stonec

stonec Registered

F1 don't use DRS in any kind of corners, so you are wrong. They only use it on marked straights. In 2011-2012 they used it freely in Quali, but they most certainly didn't run it open in high-speed corners, like Eau Rouge for instance.

7. TJones

TJones Registered

Yes, we've got a pretty good example last friday at Canadian Gp, when Felipe Nasr tried to warm up his tyres with active DRS system. ;)

8. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

I was going to post this too. Reportedly, Nasr hit the DRS button instead of the radio button.

9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

@ uhntissbaby111,

I understand what you mean.
    In real life, you see the F1 cars at Canada, make the corner at the second straight.
    That can be done in rF2 also, but you have to be very smooth about it :)
    Also; if you already have the setup to more downforce front and (much) less at the rear; you will sooner lose control.

But when you see overtaking actions; you never see them move out very hard when using DRS......not as much as they sometimes do when not using it.

So; it can be done, but you have to pay attention to what you do and how you do it ;)

10. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

only thing that i noticed on the new 2014 Renault 3.5 that the DRS reduces downforce as it should, but we just didnt notice any drag reduction benefits, i have a feeling there is a mistake in the R3.5 because in race where were getting no faster with DRS than without it, but the downforce does drop, i should probably do more testing and if its the case report it

11. uhntissbaby111

thanks for the replies. when watching this video it just seems like Jenson can do more with DRS then I can in the sim. Especially in turn 2 and 5. Maybe I need to adjust my setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5FXhXBUbTs

12. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

You can pull that off with the F-Renault but you have to be smooth. Get the entry line right so it's little turning of the wheel. I feel much safer activating DRS just as I am turning left instead of before the turn, but JB can feel the car with his body and I got a plastic wheel.

13. YannickVB

YannickVB Registered

Quite a costly mistake, especially for a team like Sauber

14. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

It's a good thing he didn't hit the gap in the wall intended for rescue vehicles. Quite a dangerous situation that was.

15. eltidi

eltidi Registered

I don't get what are you saying, if I hit DRS my drag goes down and speed goes up, it's pretty clear, so how can you not be faster?

16. Domi

Domi Registered

T1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5nmfh4boUA

Like the OP I also think that the rear downforce loss is a bit too much. There are corners in that video that can't be done in rF2 with the DRS opened.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2015
  17. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Maybe some people are using the medium/low downforce package, DRS in FR3.5 only really works with the high downforce package from the tuning menu.

18. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Some of you (the vid posters) compare the Marussia (and maybe the FR 3.5) with a Mclaren and a RedBull.
    These Top-class F1 cars have/had muuuuuuuuuch more (like 300% or so) overall downforce than the Marussia!!
    Marusssia was one of the worst F1 cars at it´s time, you know? :rolleyes:

19. Domi

Domi Registered

It happens with the Formula ISI too. I've even asked about this to some of the best FSR drivers and they all agree that the rear downforce loss is too much, it's even tricky doing overtaking manouvers in some situations.

And please make some math checkings, 300% more downforce? :D

20. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Tim W. said somewhere that the downforce of Marussia is a fraction of that of a top F1-car.
    On what level are the FISI?? Do you even know?
    Besides that: How near to real F1 is FISI? Noone knows...... and if the driven times a close to real, why?
    More power? Other suspension? Other diffusor? Other tyres? Other anything?
    It has no point to prove something by comments of a random simracer.
    I for one have no reason to doubt the aerodynamics-calculation in rF2.
    Now that we talk about it: Never ever seen a discussion about aero-forces in this forum! ;)
    Maybe it´s time for that!
    Maybe we can save that effort, LOL!! ;)