Input on a New League

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by tooslow, Jun 5, 2015.

1. tooslow

tooslow Registered

Hey all, I want to start my own league, now I know there are lots of successful ones already and I certainty don't want to try compete. I just want to offer something that is unique. That said, I know there are limitations with making it unique. So far I've narrowed it down to car or track selection. So all I am asking is - what would you like to see?

I wouldn't mind a bit of input? Or should I just consign myself to the fact that when it comes to sim racing everything has already been done?

Thank you for your time.

2. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Everything BORING has already been done but that is because majority of sim racers demand IRL combos which often produce an inferior driving experience in the sim world where straights are boring.

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I'd like to see less use of tracks not that up to par, even if it means sticking to ISI tracks and maybe another 10-12 modded tracks. In my case I love fast open wheelers but the GT2 and GT3 Chevys may fit the bill.

I find it very difficult to run leagues given the actual choice of content and the available times to race. Pretty much everything coincides on weekends and since most things are UK-times based, it's always midday for me. During the week it means I cannot race, during the weekend it means I must compromise any social life.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2015
  4. Depco

Depco Registered

There is also the question of race time... That seems to have an effect on the number of racers coming to the grid as well. Can't make a suggestion since my leagues time of 1600GMT on Sundays hasn't been terribly successful in attracting throngs of racers.

5. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

My observation - there are too many small leagues already. Suggestion: better to align yourself with something established and offer uniqueness within their group (on a different day or night depending what they do) so you can start with a core of drivers within that league and also reuse their tools and marketing

6. B. Gant

B. Gant Registered

This why i started the "SimRaceAlliance" theme.

there are too many leagues. everyone wants there name on success of driver count. and its just killing online in my opinion. There shouldnt be 100 servers on matchmaker. most with the same cars/tracks....just a league with their own moniker.

i pride myself the last 3 yrs finding any admin out there who wants to work together for better participation. So as suggested in comment above...better to align and work together.

7. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Yes! Brack Jabham and B. Gant have hit the nail on the head! Rf2 is full of empty servers, I have been thinking very much about the same thing recently.

There are many reasons why, perhaps the biggest is that RF1 was a massive success and dominated simracing, folks migrate to rf2 and now there are many sims available and there is just not the players to support that number of organisations. The MP is way smaller than RF1 was so that amplifies the fragmentation further. The MP is chronically fragmented as a result, very few groups have enough drivers! The natural thing to happen is for all these small pockets of activity to merge into one, but there is a number of reasons why people are reluctant to do that.

This is my idea! Instead of merging into one, what would work batter is to retain all these small outposts of simracing and create a confederation of leagues instead - like a mother league to include everybody who wants to be in it. This way, all can keep their old websites and memories and friends and be part of something bigger at the same time. And they can run their own races before some weeks, and be in the mother league other weeks. Folks can choose as they please and have the best of both worlds. It also makes it easier to join up as it does not cause their current existence to cease, everything stays as it is and probably a bunch of obstacles go away.

I know many people are interested in such things already, because the MP is a ghost town! And I recall Rich Goodwin making a thread on a similar theme not so long back.

The other good aspect to the loose fit mother league solution is, that you know the most important to some people is the mod. To others it is to race with known friends who they know are solid on track. To all probably it is a mixture of the two, but the two factors are always in conflict always mod changes always incur turnover of drivers. So this mother league idea works better here too, potentially as perhaps the mother ship would grow to accommodate TWO or more mods one day!

Perhaps those concerned should seriously consider joining under B.Gants umbrella or create something new of similar effect!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2015
  8. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

"Alliance" is indeed a good idea and I have seen some leagues doing it already. Rf2 online have been sad lately. When there are drivers then it's generally really good. I've been playing a lot of AC lately because it has so much more drivers. For some reason they keep having the same combos over and over again so I'm not getting the full satisfaction there either. Ideal situation is you can have short fun race any time of the day with other drivers and serious races on weekends. I know there are some leagues that attract a lot of players also in rf2 (mainly endurance and low powered cars). After that (and there are only few of these leagues) there seem to be several max. 10 drivers leagues. It's hard to run a league with just 10 drivers because you have to consider that all won't be able to race every race.

So some changes needs to be done. Everyone doesn't want to join a endurance/F1/Clio/Classic formulas league. I like medium powered cars: GT2, GT3, smaller formula cars, Meganes, road cars, Palatov and such, max. 1h races. If race day is on Sunday then there is also many possibilities with event time.

9. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

My best tip is to do what YOU BURN FOR, only by doing so you'll have complete dedication and be ready to poor in the amount of time it takes to do it right. If your idea or concept is not unique, then why not "simply" offer to help out existing leagues ?