Sim Racing servo ffb systems : OSW & Bodnar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm pretty sure its around 21 with the IONI Pro and Meanwell 600w PSU because of losses and some other stuff. The discussion should be a few pages back I think.

2. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Another 'superior' option beside MiGE motors would be Lenze motor, I think you are refering to that. Lenze motor alone is around 1.000 €. The OSW Lenze kit is selling as around 2.500 €.

Better motor for sure, it reflects on the price, but one may wonder if he really needs that or not.

3. Led566

Led566 Registered

That torque is real. Is measured.
    It's like "overclocking" the motor...at your risk, if it works, it works, but you never know...
    21Nm "real" is when you limit current to 12.7A as stated in the Beano tutorial (much probably because of the power supply limitations, as you say)
    Also Denis Reimer suggest not to go over 12A for safety reasons in the long run (possibly cook the motor).
    But in the table I've posted you can see that the motor has been tested for "two long minutes" blocked at 17A and one minute to 19A.
    The motor didn't fry.
    In reality these are conditions you'll never meet in the normal use even in NASCAR or Indycar.

Now I've reduced the max current to 12.7A: with rF2, IONI stays lower than 50°C, the MIGE isn't warming so much really.
    We'll see what happens when I'll try Indianapolis 500.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2015
  4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I found it :)

Anybody know what's up with this? I'm getting real close to my stated purchase/ship date of my MiGe and need to know fairly soon what the price of this will be...

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

could be a mige with a different encoder

not sure why they have screwed plates to the top & side ( maybe to hide the mige's fins ? )

nice that more true servos are becoming available

there is a kit coming for mige users so one can upgrade the encoder themselves

ps there are many many servo motor options ( 100's ) suitable for sim racing application mige / linze only just a couple

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

But, Adrian, how could it be a MiGe if "it differs from the MiGe" and it's motor "has less noticeable cogging torque than the MiGe"?

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'm not saying for sure that I know what it is , but it could easily be a Mige

the encoder change + firmware settings could give it a slightly different feel

no one cares about " cogging torque" as no one really feels it on a servo anyhow, it's just something that sounds bad & to say it has less makes this sound better lol, I would not get drawn into the jargon to much if I were you

ps no one I've spoke with that's now using a mige has ever mentioned "cogging torque" etc lol

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Unless I'm understanding this wrong, you have to send 17.35A for it to actually equate to 12.27A and 27 Nm.

Furthermore, with 20% power losses of the IONI-Pro in mind, the PSU would have to be sending 15.34A to the IONI-Pro which is too much for the PSU.

From Ollie...

(By the way, Ollie is talking about the IONI Pro, not the regular IONI. I asked him.)

I hardly know what all this stuff means so please excuse my ignorance, I'm just really curious and have seen all sorts of different numbers floating around.

[HR][/HR]
    You said you received the IONICUBE so I guess you didn't receive the SIM-ple...

SIM-ple for IONI
    The SIM-ple for IONI replaces a lot of the parts you'd normally have to get like the IONICUBE, STM32F4Discovery, braking resistor, SMV2USB, etc. It also reduces the external cabling requirements. It (SIM-ple) is currently being validated, will start to be shipped in a couple weeks, and has a long waiting list as-well.

Big MiGe @ 30 Nm
    Granite Devices make an external power stage product called "IONIZER". Ollie will be modifying it so that it can be used with the IONI. This will allow currents of ~30A at 48V DC which should be good enough to drive the Big MiGe to 30 Nm. It will not be ready in the short-term.

I wonder if anything changed regarding the SIM-ple...

9. Led566

Led566 Registered

Basically we are saying the same things, all the numbers you listed are in good accord to the measurements that are in the posted table.
    That table has been compiled by the people in virtualracing.org forum.
    What I'm discovering right now is that for some cars in rF2 even 12A is definitely too much.
    While for example AC427 is perfectly fine and comfortably drivable for long sessions, NASCAR is very hard to keep in the track!
    Even worse is the T5 mod from URD!
    This seems a little strange to me: shouldn't they use power steering?
    I believe it is impossible that a power steered race car IS SO HARD to STEER!.
    Anyway the immersion factor for me has been multiplied by a factor of ten compared to T500, but my lap times will suffer...a lot!

As per the hardware I have, I actually bought a IONI-Pro, a IONI-Cube 1x (the MB) and the Discovery. The Power Supply is a Chinese 48V 12.5A (RMS).

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Led, power steering isn't modelled yet in-game.

Also, I would think choosing one amperage for all cars then changing the STC (steering torque capability) according to the motor's power would give you the best experience as each car's FFB should then be scaled according to your wheel's power. This is important.

Ohhh, I thought you got it from Ollie hence me asking about the SIM-ple. My bad.

11. Led566

Led566 Registered

Ah, TY, didn't know that!
    Now this fits with what I've experienced in game:
    AC427 : probably no power steering in the real car, no downforce, car is designed to have lower forces on the column
    NASCAR: downforce, heavier, much more torque on the column
    T5 URD: more downforce, power steering in the real car but not modeled in rF2 -> maximum simulated torque on the column!

Instead of changing STC, in order to simulate power steering, I'm wondering if it's better to change in the rF2 menu the FFB mult per car. I.E. for the Ac could stay 1, for the T5 URD should be lower (much lower?) than 1 because of the power steering.
    A better understanding of the effect of the steering sensitivity parameter would also help, because in the real car power steering isn't linear.

12. Iñigo Gonzalez Mendoza

Iñigo Gonzalez Mendoza Registered

[video]https://youtu.be/fy3PZfZ9UjA[/video]

13. Iñigo Gonzalez Mendoza

Iñigo Gonzalez Mendoza Registered

Thanks.....to Adrianstealth for all information...

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

no probs Inigo !

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If you're talking about the STS (Steering Torque Sensitivity) in the player.json file then that changes the linearity of the FFB. A setting of 1.0 is fully linear from the game's point of view. Think of the curve that get's applied when you change the sensitivity of your pedals but for the FFB output instead.

If you're talking about the steering sensitivity in-game - the one in the controller section along with throttle, brake, and clutch - then that is only for your actual steering input (like for the pedals) and doesn't have anything directly to do with FFB.

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

This is the 3rd-or-so video I've seen of a driver saving a car in iRacing by letting go of the wheel and having the servo wheel do some ridiculous FFB actions which save the slide (and even any over corrections which may occur). It is absurd. Be it issues with iRacing's physics and/or FFB, the OSW itself's FFB, particular OSW control panel settings, or the "incorrect" method all games use for FFB, the end-result of both vehicle behavior and wheel behavior is extremely unrealistic.

1:55 and 3:02

On another note, Lenze and MiGe comparison:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2015
  17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Let go of the wheel and have your new, beloved high-end simwheel automatically save your car for you, close your eyes, relax, we'll do all the work. Lol....I guess we've hit a point where the wheels themselves are overly capable compared to the relatively inferior physics and/or FFB of even simracing games.

The incidents are @ 1:55 and 3:02 in-case you missed one of them.

18. cookie

cookie Registered

http://openservodrive.com/ announce a new drive IONI Pro HC,Tero's estimation is it will deliver between 22-25A POS and new firmware for the IONI Pro

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Ha! I built that steering wheel in that vid

20. mlaw

mlaw Registered

Hi, just received my bodnar ss2. What settings should I be using?