Atlanta Motorsports Park v1.0 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, May 30, 2015.

1. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Terrain/Hills casters are ShadowsObjects. They are not playing into STRIP/TRICOUNT like a normal mesh. There is not a mesh/mat render there, just Shadow maps.

Of course if you assign a non cached mat then that's not so smart, but that assigned map it's already cached.

About sharpness of trees they are very sharp if you ask me. The difference with other trees is we do not use commercial trees nor stock trees sources. We do shots on location for trees (when we survey), we do all the job to make it working at best, but you know this depends on lot of variables, as the light (overcast, full sun, etc), the picture focus, the original exposure etc. So you'll see that difference for every single ISI track, because LOT of variables are in there, in the original picture.

Also those trees shots has been taken on a different season, so we had to do crazy postproduction work to make it working as full summer trees. This is not an excuse as I think they are looking pretty damn good.

2. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Just tested and you are right. Good job! :D

@Tuttle
    Your texture work is top notch. I always use them as a source of inspiration. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2015
  3. Tuttle

You can't render XPAA with no AA.

4. Tosch

Tosch Registered

It seems there is a difference between in game AA and gfx driver AA (didn't know that before).

5. Tuttle

Of course there is. :)

6. Tosch

Tosch Registered

You or Tim should make a sticky about that on the main page of the forum. I guess it would be an eye opener to some people. :)

7. Tuttle

Agree 100%.

We are working on that. :)

8. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Yes thats it. But people with a triple screen setting have to be carefully because only one time you start rFactor2 with the triple resolution belonges, that the ingame AA will not be overtaken by changing it later in the launcher as you can see in this video
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6nauvkciwyvrn5/Gamerecord (01).mp4?dl=0
    Sometimes the setting takes an effect, sometimes not.

If that appears you have to delete the config file and than before you start the game you have to set aa to a working value. Sometimes it was ok for me, sometimes it took no effect, because after closing the game, it was set to 0 again and i had to delete the config file again to be able to adjust.
    Starting the game only in single screen mode, i was able so set the ingame aa every time after closing the game.

Important: After starting and closing the game one time with ingame aa, the driver forced aa works too, even better in removing aliasing in the cockpit area but after creating an new install or config file you have to use the ingame aa for one time again.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2015
  9. CraigT

CraigT Registered

I changed to windowed mode and now I get a CTD when loading when trying to go online. I have downloaded and reinstalled twice and have even tried downloading in MM. Same result. I really hate to uninstall and reinstall rF2

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

During track loading, or during software loading before that?

11. Paddler

Paddler Registered

12. stonec

stonec Registered

Poznan has bugged trees with wrong transparency, they should be fixed but guy who made it is now working for other company. I also see these transparent trees on a lot of other modded tracks, is probably why people turn transparency AA off.

13. Panigale

Panigale Banned

AA disabled isn't my setup and I had ugly trees, AA in-game is maxed and I have FXAA enabled in-game. BUT, I also have FXAA enabled in Nvidia console (which I think helps a ton btw) and while I didn't test I suspect that might have been my issue bases on other comments. Now why a new json resolves when I have changed nothing else? Anyway, hope that info helps. Cheers.

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The only answer could be that something wasn't current build default in that file. Again, not saying you tweaked the hell out of things - though some people have - you might have had a setting that we've changed and moved away from an older default.

15. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

https://twitter.com/rFactor2/status/604806866225332224

This^

I was getting weird trees on some tracks also so I took the above advice and everything is solved.

Driver control panel is default, no "tweaks' in the .json file, all graphic settings done in-game. Perfect.

16. Tuttle

Starting from a clean installation, with a clean player/config file, the best way to proceed with graphics settings is to JUST use ingame settings, pushing on high AA levels and anisotropic filtering x8 or x16 (and of course good track/car quality settings)...and that without overriding anything via inspector and/or CCP.

(Also HDR must be ON if you want a proper modern lighting.)

This way you can load the game and check how it looks. If you see trees are looking properly (no alpha jaggies) and texture are sharp enough to see details into it (aniso texture filtering), you can decide to be happy (and stop tweaking)...or start experimenting extra settings, outside the game.

But this is the time where you can mess with profiles and configs, so you have to check every single step, and every single click you are doing with CCPs and inspectors, to see how things are working. May happen a CCP/Inspector change is going to mess the config.ini and cache... and you can't just roll back from those settings, without cleaning up that file (aka generating a brand new one). Same for the Players.JSON and Transparency AA, or xpaa, using False to make wrong trees looking better and then making correct trees looking wrong.

Still, the easy way to make the game looking at best, is to go easy peasy, with standard ingame settings. This is where you are working inside our choices, instead playing with a very big mix of variables we can't control.

17. Tuttle

Indeed. This! :)

18. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Want say thank you Tuttle and Tim! It's Sunday and you give us all the day feedback and support [emoji4]. This is really [emoji41].

19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

The quality of this track is awesome. Did Tlike also design the kart track? That has to be the most amazing kart facility ever.

I'm still experimenting with weather and lighting, and even compensating for the DST hour change it still seems as though the place is too dark. There is no forest tunnel that you are driving through to make things darker here as in the old Hockenheim. And unless the hills are actually blocking the sun (they aren't that big), there should be no difference at high sun/mid-day to other tracks. Georgia and North Carolina (Mountain Peak) are indistinguishable from each other (by normal humans) in terms of natural light/sun angle/etc., so we should not perceive and obvious difference between them. Of course it may be that the mid-day light still needs a bit of a boost across the board. That was my feedback when the new build came out.

20. TJones

TJones Registered

+1
    Must be passion! :)