Atlanta Motorsports Park v1.0 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, May 30, 2015.

1. Panigale

Panigale Banned

FWIW - I had the same exact issue as Andregee. I have everything maxed, even sun occlusion, processor thresh @3, transparency is set to true. I deleted my player.json and let a new one get gen'd and bam! beautiful track.

Posting this because that was a first for me, for any track released. My install is 100% fresh from two builds ago (uninstall/reinstall to latest lite driver) nothing exotic in the plr settings. Might want to append the post with a suggestion that the existing plr should be deleted. My first impression was the same as Andregee but I knew that something wasn't right. Less experienced users probably won't. Some comments I've read elsewhere seem to reflect that.

Excellent work Tuttle, hat's off to you! It does demand a lot from my GPU. I held off on a titan but I need that 980ti asap! :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2015
  2. Nibo

Nibo Registered

I`m not complaining, just reporting - I too noticed that cloudy weather on this track gets darker than on other tracks. Thats with clean new plr file.

Thanks for amazing new track, ISI.

3. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Reshade works great for that matter

4. dbell76

dbell76 Registered

Thx for the track ISI!

5. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

Very fun track !
    Elevation changes make me think about Ledenon track in France.
    Thank you :)

6. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

Like with every new ISI track, I spent a long time flying around the track looking for all the small details. Impressive work. When it comes to textures, AMP is the new benchmark. Transitions between gravel, grass and asphalt are looking very good. Resolution is nice as well. Didn't have the time yet to drive it though.

As always though, I was not able to "Download and install" using the launcher.

7. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Very good track, nice details and textures.
    Nice elevations and some scary blind corners.

One thing I've noticed is lower performance comparing to Malasya with same cars grid.
    I suppose its because of the track details and quality.
    Exiting the pit has the lowest FPS, probably because the water in front.
    Later on there is stable FPS with some of the drops when getting pass nearby building.

8. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Yeah this place it's a bit demanding (but just a bit more, nothing dramatic) for 2 main reasons;

as you see this is not a flat place and you have that rollecoaster visible all the time along the track so you can't work on very aggressive LODs. This means lot of details and stuff has to remains there for 70% of the lap time because it's still visible from your driving position. There are lot of tricks and tunings to limit that aspect but this place still remains a HUGE and VERY complex surface to be rendered on screen all the time. Something you don't do on standard level (flat) track where you can hide stuff at the time you just passed that area.

In theory if you click down from Full to High you should get back your standard FPS because lot of details are not there but you still get a very good balanced scene.

Second reason, which is connected to the first, is the level of details for terrain, curbs and roads morphology which is needed here to offer the most realistic experience to drive a such crazy track.

As for guys asking about the sun and the brightness;

We do not have the sky and overcast light algorithm in our hands (track/enviro artists). This is all dynamic and it is working the same for all tracks you have. The only difference is the sun parabolae which is GEO/Date related. The fact you feel the track darker is because it is, due that massive presence of hills, artificial embankments and huge/high trees covering the 70% of the screen while driving.

This is why I was suggesting to enjoy this place at full noon and with a clean sky if you want a "hot" environment. You can see the shot I posted yesterday night, which is at nooon. I can't really call that scene darker. ;)

Of course if you run on early morning and/or evening, or overcast, you're racing into a completely occluded environment due the nature of the terrain and vegetation.

Enjoy! :)

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Thanks for that post Tuttle, always like to see the inner workings and explanations from you guys :)

As for the Darkness (I don't have the track myself yet) it reminds me of something I think Mansell said about the original Hockenheim, I dont recall the exact quote but it was along the lines of "going into the fast tree section is like needing lights, coming back into the stadium section and your eyes need to adjust to the extra light" - something like that anyway, either way he was portraying the change in light levels in the Forest, something akin to what you're saying there.

10. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Amd r9 200 series

11. hammer666

hammer666 Registered

Great job guys!
    Thanks. :)

12. Promag

Promag Registered

Great info Tuttle.

13. Tuttle

That's exactly what I'm saying yes. :)

14. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Great Info Tuttle!
    Explains a lot and is absolutely comprehensible.
    Once upon a time Silverstone was a hard track for my hardware, now we have a new "kiler" :)

Need urgent a 960.....:(

Aside that: great track! Good choice!

15. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I see you have used a different approach to the trees. Each of the close to track trees has an x-shape geometry and a billboard in the centre. Why that?
    In my opinion the tree textures look sometimes a little bit low res. The texture for the x-shape vegetation is 2048x512. The texture for the billboards is 8192x4096. I guess we see the x-shape trees most of the time?

16. Tuttle

The X tree and the low res map are for invisible tree shadow caster. That's a trick to avoid the offset shadow issue with BB above complex terrains.

Visible trees (standard billboards) are loading the high res 8K version and they are not casting any shadow.

17. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

Only want to jump in here to say I also had the "kindergarten" trees. For me it is fixed with using "Application controlled" AA settings in Nvidia profile. The weird thing is I can't reproduce it anymore... now I can use "Overide application settings" without having this issue.

18. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Yep, looks like the difference in sharpness of the vegetation is related to mip map bias at 0 instead of -1 for the older content.
    The materials for the ter_caster objects use the water shader. I wonder if it has an influence on performance when you use a shader with animated textures and a cube map as a shadow caster on a huge area? It's marked as hidden caster but render is set to true (it's rendered in 3DSimEd).

19. CraigT

CraigT Registered

I created a new player.json and got great fps offline. My problem is I cannot get it to load in MultiPlayer. It hangs up everytime @ 80% at every server I have tried
    Has anyone else seen this.
    I apologize if this was mentioned before

20. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

Now I can reproduce the problem with the kindergarten trees! Regardless of the settings in nvida profile as soon as you set in game Anti Aliasing to Level "None" the alpha channel rendering problems are back.