How to edit video resolution?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by MrVibrating, May 24, 2015.

1. MrVibrating

MrVibrating Registered

After many months of absence i've just updated to the latest version to see if there's been any significant improvements (was previously extremely disappointed by low GFX quality and framerates).

However things seem worse than ever - now i can't even input a video mode!

I'm sure i used to be able to input an appropriate video resolution by editing the config file (or am i imagining things?)

However now the config file only has a parameter for "VideoMode" instead of discrete X and Y resolutions. This is utterly useless to me.

Likewise, the configurator only offers windowed resolutions up to the limit of the primary monitor resolution. I want to play in a window that spans two monitors (vertical span) - with twice the Y resolution it's offering me.

There's no good reason it shouldn't be able to do this. It used to manage fine. I've tried using WindowsBorderlessGaming but this just results in a vertically stretched aspect ratio (the game doesn't seem to detect or adjust to the increased Y resolution) - also vertically misaligning the UI elements (so the mouse pointer no longer aligns to the clickable selections).

Is there any way to override this confounded "videomode" restriction and just input discrete X and Y resolutions for windowed modes?

To be clear; i'm not interested in fullscreen modes - only windowed.

2. whiplash

whiplash Registered

When you have the launcher opened, go to the third symbol, there are your video settings. Work (for me) without any problem, i don't even need to switch primary monitors (i play on the second one, in full screen though). Change your graphics in windows to one big screen (span over both monitors) and it should work.

Edit: At least i am able to use fullHD on my secondary monitor, while my primary one is at 1280x1024 (yes, :D ).

View attachment 16764

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2015
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Try CustomVidRes down the bottom of the file. I just started rF2 in a 400x800 window. Damn that's a cramped GUI lol

Obviously I don't have your setup so can't try it exactly.

4. MrVibrating

MrVibrating Registered

@Whiplash - cheers mate, but i only have span modes available under XP, not Windows 7 due to the locked WDDM (GTX 470), hence why i need a window to span both monitors.

@Lazza - Duh... i played with MinimumVidRes and MaximumVidRes beneath CustomVidRes, to no avail, without even noticing the custom setting was right there.. It works perfectly, thank you so much!

3840 x 2048 ftw.. ;) (double triplehead!)

And my, the new tonemapper IS nice... no more garish day-glo over-saturated colours! (took 'em long enough to sort eh). My evening is sorted, i think...