Strange RFactor 2 graphics performance?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Savage, May 20, 2015.

1. Savage

Savage Registered

Hello guys,

Purchased RFactor 2 standard licence yesterday and the game was basically unplayable (5 FPS all the time) until I disabled "Time Scale" in Session Options.

The game is also unplayable (constant 5 FPS) if I switch some graphics options: Texture Quality (High or Full), Enviroment Reflections, Circuit Detail (High or Full, however it works perfectly on Monaco track).

When I set everything to Medium with some settings to High or Full I can run almost all tracks on ~100 FPS (Practice), ~ 50-60 FPS (A.I. race with 5 cars) at 1680 x 1050, AA Level 3, AF 16X, no HDR or FXAA. Please note game handles rain, lights and other effects without any FPS loss.

Can anybody explain me these performance differences? Is it my my machine (which is already old) not pulling the game, or it is a bug or something else?

Running rFactor2 latest build with all ISI add-ons installed (32 bit forced).

System specs:
    Phenom II X4 940 3.0 Ghz
    4GB DDR2
    GTX 750 Ti 2GB OC
    Windows 8.1 32 Bit
    Logitech Racing Momo Force Feedback with Wingman Profiler ver. 5.10 running

2. RGerke

RGerke Registered

No Chance,

rF2 needs more PC Power than pCars to run in NG Graphics!

3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I would recommend at least 8GB RAM (for full/high details) and a 64bit OS. On Nordschleife with a lot of different AI cars the rF2 process takes around 10GB RAM. You can't compare that to rF1 because the size of the textures (and the complexity of the geometry) has increased roughly by a factor of 4.

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

That's really weird. You shouldn't just drop to 5 fps like that, something isn't right. Maybe use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to completely remove any Nvidia and AMD drivers on your system (only graphics drivers! Not your chipset drivers!). Then do a reinstall.

5. Savage

Savage Registered

On Belgium 1966, Silverstone GP, Monaco, Indianapolis, Interlagos (Day, Dusk, rain) - I am getting 90 - 100 FPS in Practice, 65-70 FPS in 5 A.I. race with the following settings:

1680 x 1050 32 Bit
    AA Level 3 (seems a good balance to me performance wise and really smoothens jaggies)
    AF 16X
    Circuit Detail - Medium
    Texture Detail - Medium
    Oponent Detail - Medium
    Player Detail - Full
    Special Effects - Full
    Shadows - Low
    Rain drops - Yes
    Crowd - Yes
    All other options enabled

Time Scale in sessions - None

Basically I load tracks and tweak with CTRL + F searching minimum FPS impact and best possible quality.

But any attempt to increase something beyond that results in an unplayable FPS (locked 5 after game loads). I guess it is already the limit of my machine, but the graphics are crisp and good looking anyway.

Also I noticed that tracks handle various FPS, for example Monaco with all the buildings allows High settings at around ~ 80 - 90 FPS while Tiger Month Airfield stalls the PC at the same settings with locked 5 FPS.

This is what I am experiencing. Anyway I can live with this, I bought rFactor 2 mainly due authentic tyre and real road simulation, realistic FFB and generally the real car feeling other sims do not offer.

P. S. I did a complete defrag of RF2 installation today (using Perfect Disk) and do not experience problems I faced yesterday, I mean with correct settings races and other settings load fine and run a high FPS. But again any attempt to increase something results in a 5 FPS stall.

Is the reinstall really necessary? Launcher check shows everything is correct without corruption.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  6. Tosch

Tosch Registered

No, in my opinion your system simply runs out of RAM and starts to swap files to the harddisk. You can check this in task manager or in game by pressing "ctrl + f" twice. The green bar on the top left shows available GPU memory. The red bar below shows file system access. When this happens you should reduce details.

7. Savage

Savage Registered

BTW after I quit the game to the launcher and launch it again - tracks that had problems work at ~ 100 FPS again.

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Your system is good enough imo, its better then mine (check under my avatar) and I run most things on max settings.
    Apart from reflections which I turned off, shadows lower, including shadow blur, and in combination with less visible vehicles, as they all will produce those heavy shadows as well.
    I do favour smoothness over graphics though. its either one or the other for me, for you as well I think. (but my sim looks far from crap)

I even run with HDR for crying out loud so people saying no chance....are clueless. my card is 1GB and the only time I reduce texture detail is when I am running on the Nordschleife or when a league event is particularly promising.

So yes you might be running things on the edge, all the more reason to keep experimenting, you need to find the sweetspots that agree with your hardware. There's a million things to try out in and out of rf2.

Imo there is more going on then just rf2 graphical settings. I would defo look into drivers you are using for example, might need to update, might even need an older driver for the card.
    See what windowed mode does. not sure about W8 but if possible turn off windows aero or at least its transparency.

Also maybe focus less on the fps counter, it is not a magical thing, a rock solid 60FPS is good enough, imo you should be looking for a smooth game rather then going for the highest fps. smoothness is everything and can be achieved with less(er) fps.

It takes quite some testing but i'm positive it can work.

But 5fps....that's just wrong, like I said, that aint about rf2 settings, there is more going on then that. possibly outside the sim.

Because if you would update RAM to 8GB then it might mean your game runs smoother but 'a potential problem' is still there.
    so you fork out $300 for new RAM and get 300FPS whilst it theoretically (without the problem) could go to over 9000 fps. just saying. try getting it run decent and stable first before cashing in on things. people with high-end pc's are elitists hehe, they think nothing works below their specs :p
    (just kidding peeps!)
    (or am I.....)

http://legends-league.com/wiki/rf2Knowing
    http://legends-league.com/wiki/rf2Performance

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2015
  9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Also I would check if things aren't overheating, sure sounds like that.
    First check for dust in the fans and inside the case, also make sure the cpu paste is not dried out.
    and there's tools to check overheating as well, I don't know which but there are :)