Combined axis gas/pedal on gamepads

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by patrikmarek, May 15, 2015.

1. patrikmarek

patrikmarek Registered

Hello,
    I have only tried demo so far, but I'm considering to give this more of a try, but I do have a big problem.

I was trying to use xbox360 and dualshock4 (ps4) controllers with rFactor2, but they both have problem of gas/brake being used as combined axis. therefore I can't use brake/gas at the same time. Applying full gas and pressing a brake will put the input to 0.

I checked other g-motor games and they all seem to have same problem ( not sure about game stock car at the moment)

is this something of a engine limitation and as such it won't ever be changed? For gamepad driving , while it might not be absolutely necessary, it's still very useful to be able to have it working this way. Also in something like race start, you should be able to stand on brake and rev engine before lights go green.

initially I didn't like rF2 much, mostly because it being bit old, and especially un-appealing UI/HUD/menu for me, I work as CG artist, so visuals are imporant for me. I totally understand that nice menu doesn't make physics any better.
    I have to admit that it has improved since the last time I saw it, so while it's still has ways to go, it's at least changing/evolving - which is a good thing

and before you shot me down for using a gamepad, I do own Fanatec CSW2, but that doens't make this request/question any less of a weight
    let me know if there are settings that I can change, or if this is indeed limitation and can't be solved

also to make it clear, I have NOT buy the game yet, let me know if this forum is only for registered users ( don't want to be banned like they do on AC forums - AC doesn't have demo though )

2. Sentri

Sentri Registered

rFactor uses direct input. Under direct input gamepads with analog triggers use the combined axis function. In order to get split triggers the game needs to support xinput (which Assetto Corsa and Pcars do). Most wheels however have an option to split pedals so a csw2 will have separate gas and brake. You can use the demo to try this yourself.

3. patrikmarek

patrikmarek Registered

thanks for the reply, so it would require change in engine,
    is there any possibility/probability of that ? I suppose not high since game pads are not main audience

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

It is done within windows, you need to check if that is also an option for the gamepad. (start/config. screen/hardware/appliances)
    First time I hear about this problem so I think it should be fixable(?)

5. Sentri

Sentri Registered

Doubt will ever see Xinput in rFactor. It's really only helpfully for 360/xbox one pads (and clones) and is used mostly in multiform games because it's required to support the xbox 360/one. Most wheels uses DX input for forcefeed back and already should have drivers/software that split or combine an axis. Microsoft really should have had software (or drivers) for the 360/one pad to fix this but they don't offer any software like logitech's wingman profiler.

XBCD fixes this problem but only works in windows 7 and lower.
    http://vba-m.com/forum/Thread-xbcd-0-2-7-release-info-updates-will-be-posted-here

I have never tried it as I now have a logitech G710 and G25.

6. patrikmarek

patrikmarek Registered

man you're rockstart! I will check those out

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I was able to get XBCD running on Win8.1x64. You have to self sign the drivers and then install the cert before installing the driver. I will see if I can package it up and post a link here. Hopefully I saved my work.

Edit: Okay, I still have this stuff. At work I had to self sign ghostscript's print driver so luckily I already went through the learning curve of signing a driver and then just a few weeks after that I stumbled on this unsigned XBCD driver and thought.. Hey, I can sign them myself. I reused the cert I used at the office out of laziness so the cert is named JA-RU Test Lab.

I included a batch file that will install the certificate so I didn't have to write up directions on how to do that. That batch file is named InstallCert.bat. So first you need to run that batch file to install the cert. Then install the driver. But to be honest I don't remember how I installed this driver. I think I ran the origional XBCD installer and then overwrote the files with my signed files. When I get home I will test it out on a clean box to refresh my memory and then report back. In the meantime you can download the signed driver here:
    <LinkRemoved>

Scratch that. I just noticed that the version of XBCD I signed is very old. I needed the driver for a DDR pad. I will download the one linked above and try to sign it.

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Ok, I downloaded the version that Sentri linked to and signed it. The sys file was already signed but he didn't convert the inf file to a cat and sign it which is the only way to get a driver to install on Win8+. I did these steps and was able to install the driver on Win10 (10074) without a problem. I don't have a pad at the office to test with so it's possible it still doesn't work even after it successfully installs.

To install this on Win8+ simply download the installer that Sentri linked to. It will install some files and then try to install the driver but it will fail. Once that is done, download my zip file and then extract it to "C:\Program File (x86)\XBCD\Driver". Be sure to overwrite when asked. Now you will find a batch file in the Driver folder named Install.bat. This batch file will install the cert I used for signing the cat file and then reinstall the XBCD driver only this time it will not fail.

You can download the signed driver here:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/s/gewpf8ncyusb914/SignedXBCD.zip

BTW, Hi Patrik. Welcome to the elites forums. ;)

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

And if anyone is interested on how you convert the inf to a cat and sign it. First you need the Windows Driver Kit which you can download here:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg454513.aspx

Then you have to open the original xbcd.inf and add this line to right after the line with the GUID:
    Code:
    CatalogFile=xbcd.cat
    Then run these command lines (make sure you run these from the same folder as inf file and also change the CN from "Noel Hibbard" to what ever you want. Makecert will also prompt for a cert password. I used 12345):
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\bin\x86\inf2cat.exe" /driver:.\ /os:7_x64,8_x64,Vista_x64,7_x86,8_x86,Vista_x86,XP_x86,XP_x64
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\bin\x64\makecert.exe" -sv codesigner.pvk -a sha1 -eku 1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.3 -r -ss Root -len 1024 -sr localMachine -n CN="Noel Hibbard" codesigner.cer
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\bin\x64\cert2spc.exe" codesigner.cer codesigner.spc
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\bin\x64\pvk2pfx.exe" -pvk codesigner.pvk -pi 12345 -spc codesigner.spc -pfx codesigner.pfx -po 12345
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\bin\x64\signtool.exe" sign /f codesigner.pfx /p unix7256 /d "XBCD" /v xbcd.cat

10. patrikmarek

patrikmarek Registered

might give this another try, haven't worked last time, experienced some issues/crashes etc.
    I know gamepads aren't taken seriously in sim racing, but for everyone who doesn't have pernament wheel setup , gamepad is VITAL companion , especailly if you are modder and just want to drive few laps and test your model /shaders/textures

11. ChrMid

ChrMid Registered

How does one get this XBCD stuff to work? I'm no good with this sort of thing, so I would need a step-by-step instruktion.

I'm running a 64bit Windows 7, and it is a Xbox 360 wireless controller. Thanks!

12. Rhosta

Rhosta Registered

Hi,
    I have tried the demo and encountered the same problem with shared trigger (brake/throttle) axis on gamepad mentioned here.
    I realize the demo is based on older game version, so my question is whether situation has changed since? Can brake and throttle be used at the same time in full game now?