What Would it Take for rFactor 2 to be a Solid Rally Title?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by William David Marsh, May 14, 2015.

1. William David Marsh

William David Marsh Registered

With the release of the Palatov D4, I decided to take the 4WD Hillclimb configuration to Lost Valley (ISI's experimental off road course). It turned out to be VERY fun to drive, and it got me wondering, what would it take for rFactor 2 to be a full-fledged rally title?

http://simracingpaddock.com/pc-racing/rfactor2/rfactor-2-can-it-rally/

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Believable Off-road terrain
    Believable Tyres
    Saint Helens :eek:
    CORR :eek:

What more would you need. :confused:

P.S.

I don't ever see ISI becoming a Rally as in WRC sim.

Offroad / Corr / Worr is better , big fields, online rumbles.

Rally is lonely for MP ......you can do the same stages virtual, makes no difference.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2015
  3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Mix Motocross Madness with WRC, give it the loose surface support and terrain deformation it needs (like Sega Rally last decade), better graphics and sound, three dozen stages and a dozen cars.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah that is sort of what I meant. RallyX Corr Sprintcars etc

As long as you can have a heap of cars together.

I do not see "traditional" rally stages any fun for that.

5. LeChuck

LeChuck Registered

mmm... I think it would be a monumental task. I'm my opinion a dedicated sim is better than an adapted one.

6. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Gravel/Dirt Real Road, proper 4WD WRC- and RX cars, point-to-point timing system.

Everything else is already there... ;)

7. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

rF2 is already the best title for rally by far for tarmac. It only needs content and (biggest problem by far) people who like rally. Being asynchronous, rally supports unlimited global participation in MP events which makes comparison relevant as opposed to circuit racing against twenty random league members or, worse still, pickup racing.

8. costamesa

costamesa Registered

To me, that sounds pretty much like "how come you like having 100 laps in the same circuit! What's the point?"

People created unbelievable tools and softwares and mods for rbr to be able to play multiplayer! Racing against others is always a motivation for people!

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015
  9. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Agree 100%. Rally MP is 100x better than circuit MP except MAYBE iRacing...

10. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Thanks for the chuckle. :)

11. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Personally I'm looking for ability to race on RX cars and tracks. That is so intense and exiting type of racing... ;)

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You missed the point entirely.

I never said Rally MP is not good ........... read it lol

I said I don't want to do MP stages " ALONE" with only my car ........... I want a pack

HOW BORING ! Because I could do EXACTLY the same thing OFFLINE ?

Chase other cars all concertinaed on a rally stage ? .............. RIDICULOUS. imho

People mention rally you all think of WRC.
    How would that be any fun online ? seriously ?

It would be like lapping a track with 10 drivers and never seeing anyone..................... I rather watch paint dry.

Comprende :) ?

13. Maug

Maug Registered

Can you do that offline?

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah exactly..........I don't want to do that

lmao lool

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

RF2 has the best driving dynamics, as well as FFB (but especially driving dynamics), in all of simracing in my opinion. Therefore, all it needs for rally are tracks & cars, and point-to-point timing system if that isn't yet possible to achieve with the engine (as of current build - b940).

To make it truly stand out though, some physics engine work in order to do water, gravel, dirt, mud, snow, etc. more properly would be needed.

I'm pretty sure that's all we really need ("proper" surfaces). The underlying car-physics is already the best in the business (my opinion) - that's 75% of the equation right there.

16. speed1

speed1 Banned

The problem is that ISI is doing a scientific work and i guess it would take ages till themself would be convienced from the result of surface and tire physics.

Look how much time it takes to optimize asphalt surface and tire physics and they still didn't stopped to evolve.

I guess the character of ISI is like optimal and the best possible or never.

And exactly this is why i like them better.

That also seems the reason why they go step by step.

17. Minibull

Minibull Member

I just hold onto the fact that they were already thinking of dirt/soft terrain modelling. There's that really old screenshot of a CORR style truck going over a jumps, I can't remember where I saw it though. It's a good sign that they eventually want to do that for real, but of course, one side of the product HAS to be completed before that happens.

It would be the ultimate icing on the "simulate any vehicle we can" idea. Plus, soft terrain stuff could possibly then be integrated onto the road course tracks. Having dirt, grass and gravel that actually behaves like it should, and then maybe also integrate it with the realroad system, dragging dirt and crap back onto the track if you rejoin.

18. speed1

speed1 Banned

That would be the burner, to have a all in one engine. I hope it isn't just a dream of us, but i don't see this happen the next year.

19. Minibull

Minibull Member

Heck no, not in 2 years even. But I'm sure it's on their radar. They may have lofty goals but they seem to just keep chipping away at the work, slowly creeping forwards. It might not happen for whatever reasons, but that's no need to give up hoping eh.

I still remember reading something Tim posted a while back, where the goal is to have a sim where you have wind, temp, humidity having all their related effects on the cars engine and aero, where those parameters change depending on where you are on the track, the forests at Hockenheim always being more humid than the open areas for instance. Weather with surface effects, aquaplaning and all that stuff, but a system that could support different weather depending on where you are on track. A place like Le Mans or the Nurburgring where it could be raining on one part of the track, and not another.

That kind of stuff gets me really excited hahaha. That would be such an awesome piece of software to have :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  20. speed1

speed1 Banned

Agree, hope dies last. :)