Setup Simulation Tool

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Bassman, May 8, 2015.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'm sorry you've been driving sims for 15 years and you don't know how to create a simple setup for a new mod/car? surely by now you have the practical base knowledge to know what to do for a RWD or FWD drive car no? I'm getting confused as to why you would need a computer to create setups for you if that's the case, seems strange.

Also about Real Race teams, they have Supercomputers to run "simulated setup" tests with, the average Joe does not have a PC capable to run what they're running, you may think we have a powerful enough PC to do this but fact is we don't. Look at the computer power needed for one Lap in RF2 at normal speed, as soon as you start increasing that speed the power needed multiplies to the breaking point.

Don't get me wrong I do like your thoughts on this, but in reality I cannot see it happening any time soon and as has been said, multiple times, the best way is to do it yourself or get someone to help you....but after 15years you should know the basics by now really.

2. Bassman

Bassman Registered

Thanks for your replies.

I was thinking since the graphics would not play a part in a lap simulation that the load would be a lot lighter on the system.

For whatever reason, people on this thread want to jump to extremes.? I never said I "don't know how to create a simple setup". And the suggestion is not to "create a setup" but rather a tool to help improve or start from a better place.

Whatever. It really does not matter and I did not post in the "wishlist" forum to get opinions. But obviously they are given out, even without understanding the idea.

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Graphics have nothing to do with Physics which is what is read when doing something like this, Physics use the CPU regardless of what's happening on screen, hence Race Teams have powerful supercomputers to deal with all the information that they require...again we don't have that power (unfortunately!)

Also it's not jumping to extremes, it's providing discussion based around your idea and using plausible alternatives, this is a forum afterall so not quite sure whey you were expecting silence.
    If it helps ISI make a decision on Wishlist items then I personally think every Wish should be discussed in great length, that way they get an understanding from the community as to whether or not that particular wish is worth following up on, or ignoring if it may waste their time. On that note I believe this Wish - as good as it is and yes I like it - is a waste of ISI time, as before it's much better to learn by doing or getting help from the community as is already been proven by the Setup Help thread being opened up. To add to that Tooltips in the Garage Setup Screen would also help the newcomer and even others in quickly deciding where to go with setup changes.

4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Maybe Motec I2 Pro fullfill what you`tre looking for? Compair Setups and have a deeper look into the result of different settings...

5. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

I agree that a lot of the graphics are generated using the GPU, so just disabling them would not make much difference. However, the physics calculation only runs on a single core and has to run exactly the same on the slowest supported CPU. Therefore, if you have a quad core, high end CPU, you should easily be able to run at least 4 simulations in parallel and if you can run them as fast as your CPU can, I would not be surprised if you can run at 2x to 8x speed. Combined, you'd be able to run 8 to 32 laps in the time you could normally run only one.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, I agree, that's what this forum is for (expressing opinions).

The big question is: how much time would it take for ISI to: 1) allow you to disable the graphics output, and 2) allow you to run "as fast as possible"? I am assuming here that all the other work (writing the software that actually drives the car) can be done by anybody based on the existing APIs that are available. That would not take any of their time and it would not even require ISI to do either #1 or #2 (those would just be optimizations once the community actually writes such a setup tool). So I would like to challenge the part of the community that wants to see such a tool to just start writing it. It will be an interesting experiment and you will probably learn a lot from it.

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Re the first paragraph (I'm not as clever at quoting than you!) then yeah maybe that could work to some degree, without knowing the code though it's hard to say whether that could actually work as you describe and would it be worth ISIs time when there's tons of other more important features needed.

Second paragraph, again it boils down to ISI time and whether or not it's worth that time, yes they'd have code something as how easy would it be for a community member to block the Graphics and all that? not easy I bet!

To end with think of it this way, currently more people want Animated Pit Crews and that's low down ISI priority list :)

7. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

This and the fact, that one Part of playing rF2, is just messing hours and hours with building Setups, wich gives you another 1 tenth :D

8. Bassman

Bassman Registered

Glad to see the discussion has turned away from me :) I see something like animated pit crews as way outside ISI's normal working mode and this setup simulation as what they deal with all the time. Making human animation that people think looks good is an art by itself.

Vetting these wishlist items might have some merits, but it also can cloud them. At its core, I see this as a simple way to let the company know an idea one has. In a perfect world, a company person would glance over the list and say, hmm, that might work or be interesting. In my mind, that is all that matters. The forum banter that ensues is backseat at that point. In other words, this forum is for communicating with the company, not the other forum members.

I know it is a longshot to have this thing made, but the fact the race teams actually use the approach made me suggest it.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

ISI may well just read the first post and ignore the rest, they may well take in what the community discusses then again they may not. They might also do it their way and decide when and/or if a Wish is to be included.

couldn't be more wrong with that statement!

10. Emery

Emery Registered

So the thinking cap finally lights up...

Rather than a tool for making the perfect setup, a better option might be "race engineer", an advisor. You tell the race engineer what you don't like about the car's performance and the race engineer will recommend a setup change.

"I want more top speed" --> reduce wing angle (if available), decrease final drive ratio, move toe closer to zero, increase all tire pressure
    "I want more stability when braking" --> move brake bias forward, move front toe towards toe-in, check rear toe-in is not too extreme
    "I want more understeer" --> increase front spring rate, increase front antiswaybar, increase front shock compression, increase front tire pressure

By the way, all this information is already available in offline tables that can found with a google search. Anybody that can make an overlay plug-in could probably write a plug-in to provide an advice selector using one of these setup tables.

11. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Yeppers, and once people figure out that learning takes a little effort they'll be able to makes sense out of some of the things in the garage screen and will quit asking for hand outs. ;)

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Just like in NASCAR, yeah like that idea but your final paragraph makes that a redundant feature straight away...as cool as it would be to have though!

13. Bassman

Bassman Registered

O.k. I will bite. Since you are not making the game, why do you need to know or approve a wishlist item? Seems like an over reach to me.

14. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

The welfare generation: make everybody rich no matter how lazy they are. :p

15. Bassman

Bassman Registered

WTF does this have anything to do with my wishlist item?

16. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

All I can say is sim racing days are numbered with iRacing and ISI being the only remaining holdouts. "Sim racing" market demand for "give me something to do", etc. along with devs (and investor hype machines) all too happy to oblige for millions of dollars and ... worse yet ... "Serious" sim racers buying this crap and expecting ISI and others to continue to create adult sim racing makes me want to puke. There...I said it. Been biting my tongue long enough especially having had access to hyped crap for a very long time.

What a joke. Do my setups for me. BTW you can hit the "I" key have have the AI drive for you too and then you can go to lunch and then brag to all your friends how hard core you are...

Edit - Sorry I admit I'm in a mood.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2015
  17. Bassman

Bassman Registered

Wow, is this directed at me? I guess the F1 teams that use this technology are too good for themselves as well?

You are going to say sorry after being an *sshole in the same post? This thread is jacked and bringing out the worst in people. I guess the setup topic bruises egos or something...

Mods, please close this one down!

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

mate I'm not, I'm providing common sense responses as to whether a a Wish is likely to get the go ahead. As I said earlier ISI may just read THE FIRST POST and ignore the rest for all I know...that's what you wanted right?!

You have to look at it from ALL angles not just from your own "my wish it must be good and get in", broaden your thought process a little, here's an example for you:

Dev #1: Great idea in the WishList Forum for an AI controlled Quick Setup thing
    Dev #2: Sounds interesting, who would use it the most do you think?
    Dev #1: People with a lack of time to spend 100s of laps creating a setup, newbies who need help, those people.
    Dev #2: I see yeah, but couldn't they get Setup help from the community and Google anyway? there's plenty of information out there
    Dev #1: Yes of course, but this would aid in their setup development when they want it, instead of having to wait for a Setup from someone else, sort of a "Quick Fix" for when they want a decent race on the fly
    Dev #2: I see yeah, well lets look at our priority list and determine where it fits in...

Get the picture yet?

For the FINAL time, Yes your idea has some potential...I like it! But do I think ISI will get around to it any time soon? No, not in the slightest, I'd love them to prove me wrong but there are many more important things on that Priority List so don't go holding your breath that it'll appear next month.

On that note, yes I'm done, enjoy your day :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  19. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

As a member of the forum Bassman has every right to contribute with his wishes. I just do not understand why some on this forum feel the urge to post in someone's threads with nothing but sarcastic and snarky comments. If you haven't got anything constructive to say then why even bother wasting your time? Everyone is different and everyone has a right to discuss what they would like to see in the game.

I think it's an interesting idea but wouldn't know how long it would take to create. I personally wouldn't use it but it could be a great feature for some. :)

20. matf1

matf1 Registered

Sure, I read your post quite succinctly. More so than writing my article I guess as my point seems to have been diluted.

I know what you want, I don't know how it could be possible or how it might differ from the default setup you are provided with, given that:
    You may be 5 seconds faster than me
    You may prefer a neutral car
    How does the car change as rubber is laid down.
    The setup is created at peak speed and you are 20 secs slower...

It's my opinion, nothing more, that such a tool can only enforce bad habits and put you permanently behind the pack and if that's fine then what's the problem with the default set?

* I really hope this doesn't sound harsh or condescending, not my intention at all.