So....who has PCars?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by msportdan, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C3PO

C3PO Registered

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

100% of you have the options to set the sim and strengths how you'd like.

No it doesn't. I think you answered your own question though.

Ok.

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Well that msportdan, but also other things. Consider the following video:

Also - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8AblngEFus 16:23-16:58 (Alonso), 1:14:32-1:14:36 (Raikonnen) - 2015 Canada
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVmzgITat5k 0:18-0:21 (Schumi 97 Spa)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZlS-AB4-ik 1:10-1:13 (Schumi 99 Suzuka)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Kmz1wmedg 51:50 - 51:53 (Schumi 2000 Canada)

- In-game, that slide with that amount of steering lock would have likely resulted in an insane, snap over-correction that would have shot the car off towards the right-side barrier like a missile.

or

- In-game you may have been able to correct the slide but with some unnatural, snap-correct correction in combination with an unnatural amount of little steering lock required compared to real-life. Sort of as if you're steering inputs and overall amount of lock required to correct the slide are based on a very small range and on a digital knife-edge. Just compare the amount of steering lock needed relative to the angle of slide in the video.

- In-real life it's 1. Correct slide, 2. hold it there for a split second or so, 3. return back to centre and the car continues it's way on forward, then for the most part you're done (there was some more small drama after those 3 steps in the above video but that video showcases a very extreme example). In-game many times you have this weird left-right-left wobblying of the car as if it just doesn't want to fully re-grip and get the slid over and done with. It's like after you correct and have the car back in line it's sometimes still inclined to do some weird and - dare I say - sloppy back and forth sliding when, instead, the slide should all be a thing of the past by then. I experienced this a few times with the new Superkarts in SCE - very, very frustrating and annoying. It's very easy to experience in the FR3.5 in RF2 as well.

And finally, the issue that is the most frustrating and is hopefully in the process of getting rectified:

- You see how during the slide, in the video above, the car continues along the original direction of travel that it had before the slide began, while at the same time the rear-end wants to swing around? That hardly ever happens in-game. In-game, the car's direction of travel would change and follow wherever the front of the car is pointing to. You don't even have to drive/play the game to notice; you can easily just watch someone (or a replay) and see it from the cockpit view as well as external view. In-game it's sort-of as if the driver suddenly decided to turn sharply rather than the rear rotating while continuing - for the most part - in the original direction of travel from before the slide occurred. Basically, if the above video happened in-game, the car would ended-up at, or tried to travel towards either the middle of the track, all the way out to the left-hand side of the track, or worse-yet, completely off-track on the left side, but look in the video, the Ferrari is literally almost, if not fully, still traveling along the same original path of travel as he was before the slide occurred. This really, really, really needs to be rectified.

BTW, yes, there are times when the car can change it's direction of travel towards the front-end's. E.g. If you take too long to correct then the car can start doing that later on in the slide as the car may naturally re-grip on it's own and obviously then start traveling where the front is pointing. Or in very slow speed situations where there is hardly any forward momentum to begin with but those are very particular situations that should hardly be met in racing situations. For the vast majority of the time, the car should continue on by-and-large the original direction of travel.

Again, I want to stress that all this seems to be improving - whether by little or a lot - thanks to rFactor 2, not to mention ISI's continual work on updating the core engine of rFactor 2. You can definitely sense the improvements in these odd/trouble areas in RF2 when you come across them in pre-RF2 engines (e.g SCE, RF1).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2015
  4. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

People also need to factor in that our brains are trying to compute a high speed digital object within a condensed screen, so if the physics are "perfect", there's always going to be a extra degree of difficulty to accommodate the scale, so a race driver shouldn't be fast immediately, but if he keeps applying his race skills, then as soon as he adapts and gets his eye in, he should be able to keep going faster and faster without coaching.....but he must understand the initial learning/adapting curve is there...

5. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

6. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

7. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

msportdan is our iznogood from WMD forums?

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I have never seen any slide in real life replicated exactly by another car, or any save of a slide replicated by another driver. Attempting to quantify exactly what outcome there would be for any given situation, real life or sim, seems a little crazy to me. Never, ever, would two drivers have exactly the same input on throttle and steering, just no way, same with grip levels, downforce, springs, tire pressures, EVERYTHING that alters how that situation would feel. Then, of course, attempting to say exactly how it would lead to snap oversteer, overcorrection, etc? Frankly you're writing fiction and trying to make it sound like it can be the only outcome of any given situation.

You obviously have slower hands than I do when correcting slides. I'm quick to react, and I am quick to undo it and avoid overcorrection. I'm sorry that you aren't, but rest assured I was never good enough to be a real F1 driver either, because that's what this boils down to. Are you Alonso? No. No, you're not. Neither am I, and I don't have the issues you describe in control. :)

And this is not just for you, Spinelli... There is a disease on forums.

Frankly the whole comparison stuff between you and -insert world champion f1 driver here- is lunacy. John Watson once said part of the reason he wanted to quit F1 was after seeing Senna doing things with a car that he couldn't. I saw posted videos of people warming tires like Alonso has with rF2 back in 2012, dredging this one back from hell is pretty much exactly what is wrong with supplying a forum for customers. They'll argue about anything, and when they're bored, they'll argue about it again.

Run the sims you like, don't run the sims you don't. Answer a thread asking you if you have pCars with yes, no, yes - I like it, no - I don't want it, because x, because y, etc. Almost anything you can say isn't possible, someone else can do. Almost anything someone can find a video as 'evidence' of one position, someone else can find one against it.

Try racing your favorite racing sims, you might enjoy them. Don't want to? Here's a thread from 2012 with EXACTLY the same arguments, some of the same videos used as evidence, etc etc. Feel free to search for the terms "alonso tires" for more fun.

Sorry for closing, I made the mistake of assuming people wanted to move forwards. :) Learned now, thanks.

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

This has already been discussed a thousand times. You have a toy wheel incapable of replicating the dynamic range of the real car. It's the very fact that ISI went the 1:1 route rather than fudging numbers that causes the light feel. You seem to ignore this explanation over and over again though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.