So....who has PCars?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by msportdan, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

I am happy everything works fine for you. I respect you point of view. I was hoping you do the same with my, you are using words "I highly doubt" I don`t think you do.

BenQ XL2720T bezel is 4 cm "very small portions of the UI may get cut-off at times, but that's seriously nitpicking" 4cm is huge bezel, nitpicking, really?

rFactor2 > new rFactor2 User Interface > Options > video res. > widescreen width. I can not see other reason then ISI is aware of problem with scaling , why is it there, is there some other reason ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No! No, no, no, and just no!

Yes, if it works out to be 45°. The rest of the time, no.

Sorry to be picky, but people pick these figures up and take them as gospel months down the track.. then you have to go explaining the whole thing to them so they stop saying multiview is broken because their screens are at 45° but it doesn't look right...

They've said in the past they'll have a better system allowing for multi screens, I'm sure when they do it won't be lacking. Nothing they do usually is. Just gotta wait for it.

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I can see and access everything in my U.I. except maybe 1 or 2 digits of the FPS monitor when I use it. So, yes, it's seriously nitpicking because 99.9999% of the U.I. is visible and therefore useable.

It's not about not respecting your opinion. I've had a ton of different monitor/GPU/MB/OS/RAM/CPU/PS etc. setups, and I never had issues with multiview. Therefore - due to my experience with many different PC setup situations - I am lead to believe that it is not an issue about working with some setups but not others. If I only had experience with 1 or 2 PCs then of course I'd think that it could possibly be a system-compatibility issue.

Are you sure? If you set a realistic FOV - and there is only 1 realistic FOV according to your monitor size (incl. aspect ratio) and the distance from your eyes to your screen - then I thought it would always be 45 degrees? I swear it seems to always be like that for me as I switch monitors (and therefore my in-game FOV to match reality).

P.S. This is a fantastic place to find out your setup's 1:1 with real-life FOV --> http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/

4. Emery

Emery Registered

Yeah, Lazza's sure and I'm sure. Imagine your 27" monitors are 30' away; you can intuitively realize that 45 degrees is not an appropriate value at that distance.

Project Immersion's calculator has a selector for which game you're using. One of those games (can't remember which one) has an output value in the calculator that includes the proper triple monitor angle for your distance.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You may have a good point there, Emery. Maybe it's only with very, very extreme examples (such as yours)? I'm just speculating.

All I know is that - as long as I use my 1:1 FOV - that (from what I remember) my triple 23, 24, and 27 inch monitor setups have always been about 45 degrees. I'm just going by eye though, not measurements.

What I recommend to all RF2/SCE/RF1 etc. triple screen users is to use a 1:1 FOV (or very close - with triples there shouldn't be any reason not to) and set your monitors' angles accordingly. Then use that setup for all your sims (obviously) and everything will be perfect.

Remember, the distance between your eyes and the screen is a factor to. So when lining up monitors, make sure you check the in-game image only from your driving position.

6. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

BenQ XL2720T X 3 ," So, yes, it's seriously nitpicking because 99.9999% of the U.I. is visible and therefore useable." ,1 or 2 digits, 99.9999% of the U.I. is visible. Come on man, you bezel is 4cm wide , it don`t take much to understand that you claim is not truth. Nvidia Control Panel > Spam displays with Sorruond > Bezel Correction > V1&V2 = 110-120 (4 cm bezel) ctrl+f, lets say you get over 100fps you can see half of first digit two digits are hidden behind you bezel left-and right is 8cm and that is not 99.9999% of the U.I. is visible. Lost of 8cm of you visible U.I. is not nitpicking.

What if you monitor ration is not 4:3, 5:4, 21:9, 21:10 or 16:9, How can this tool work http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/ ? To get it right there must bee monitor width Including bezel (mm), Visible width excluding bezel, if not it is wasted to use it.
    I believe that ISI is aware of scaling problem and this is why new rFactor2 User Interface has widescreen width as option, but I don`t think this is the good solution, lowering widescreen width (resolution) gives you much worse picture quality. I am not sure about it, but I can not think any other reason to have option like that if it is not to scaling.

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I've been playing RF2 and other ISI engine based sims for years on triples; everything is accessible and viewable that I can think of. The car setup options, the buttons when you're in the garage, the HUD, the buttons/options in the main menu, the replay buttons, the options in the car upgrades section, etc.

8. Emery

Emery Registered

Agree with Spinelli. Biggest problem in my experience with triples has been when the bezel falls exactly in the middle of the rear view mirror. Never had a UI problem.

And, uh, er, how many monitors can you buy that aren't one of the 4:3, 5:4, 21:9, 21:10, or 16:9? Really, if there are any, it's an incredibly small market.

9. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Ok guys I just give up. It is not relevant at all if Spinelli has played years ISI based sims and if Emery never had UI problem. I have scaling problem and you statements don`t help me or anybody else who has problem with scaling and triple screens. If Spinelli likes to loose 8cm from hes visible UI it is fine for me but it don`t change the fact that rFactor2 multiview is not near perfect as Spinelli states. I feel also it is hurtful to development of rFactor2 with our statements and I must face the fact that when you guys are happy with multiview ISI is never going to fix or update this problem me and few others have.
    You guys claim and claim but still non of you can explain to me why rFactor2 User Interface has widescreen width as option, just for fun, I don`t think so.

Thank you for you support, enjoy you triples.

10. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

11. Eddy

Eddy Registered

I can confirm this and to me not being able to see fps counter is a big pita tbh

12. Woodee

Woodee Registered

It has had that from the start... not specifically for triple screen. It was for when the UI could be scaled from 4:3 to 16:9/16:10, that is all I think.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

So there's a UI scaling option, what's the big deal (not to mention Woodee's post)?

Like I said, we are not missing anything in the UI. All buttons, all menus, etc. are visible and useable therefore I still don't see what the/your problem is...

14. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

You are missing 8cm of you visible U.I. if you are using bezel correction and you Benq monitors. Use calculator and find out if 8cm is 99,9999% of you visible U.I. as you stated here before.

I described to you what is my problem but you just don`t seem want to understand, please read it again and if it is still to hard to understand just let it be, and go back to topic which is pCars, ok?

Thx, Woodee now I know it is to scaling.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It was a good and extreme example, but in this case any example - extreme or not - will be different.

Look at it another way: sitting in front of your centre screen with correct FOV, perspective lines up and everything looks realistic. Move your seat to the right, so now you're lined up with its right-edge, and the perspective you see is no longer correct. It's not a long way off compared to 90° v-FOV on a 23" screen 4 feet away from you, but it's still skewed. This is why multiview-off screens should technically be placed in a straight line, while multiview-on screens should all be facing you directly. Hence if you move further away or closer, or change to smaller or bigger screens, their angles will have to change based on your new position relative to them. So for each screen size there is a single seating distance that will make things correct at 45°; all other distances (and corresponding FOVs) will require different angles.

Your various setups may have approximated 45° and been close enough to correct to satisfy you, but chances are very few (if any at all) were technically supposed to be exactly 45°.

But we have to counter this with some reality... a lot of triple screen users run multiview-off and angle the screens, and run higher-than-realistic FOV. And a lot of triple screen users running multiview-on don't run realistically-low FOV, to the extent that something in the game world that should appear behind them is drawn on a screen in front of them. Most of both groups will have adjusted their screens until it 'felt right', or even driven up to a fence or other straight object as a means of 'getting things right', though they most certainly technically aren't.

So it is splitting hairs when really most people don't care about, or understand, what's correct anyway. But I'd still prefer the '45° rule' doesn't keep getting thrown around :)

And yeah, sorry for the OT, but it's a pCars thread in an rF2 forum.

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Maybe OT but a lot more interesting to PCars users then debating different tyre models and physics.

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Bezel correction probably isn't a quick task so it falls down the priority list. IMO, a new rules system for the oval racing and improvements to the CPM come WAY ahead of the bezel hiding parts of the UI.

A quick fix would be to continue using the display driver to do the bezel correction and then add hotkeys to scale and shift the UI up, down, left and right to avoid hidden parts. But full blown in game bezel correction at this stage in development seems sort of low on the priority list to me.

18. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

And, earlier tonight I tried again.

Bathurst running in a BMW M3 GT. Multiclass racing (why in Earth I can't choose the damn classes and cars I want? Whatever...)

Car and track stunning, I've never seen such well done Bathurst version like this, it's a blast in terms of GFX.

And, amazingly, I was having a nice race coming from back of the grid. The BMW driving dynamic was appearing to be cool. The excellent graphics were helping too.

Then an AI car force me to the wall, aero damage. Going to the pits, there first annoyance: the stupid Autopit Driving. Why, God, why? Ok... And then the pit boxes cones were not made of plastic but made of concrete. Me and 4 AI cars were unsuccessfully trying to pit to repairs but the cones won't let us. And there we us going back and forth trying to park the goddamn car and it was not possible.

Just shut down the computer in the power button and went for a beer.

19. Golanv

Golanv Registered

As long as there is Nightwish or Amorphis playing through my headset.... I don't care what you people play.

20. MrPix

MrPix Registered

OT (sorry)
    Hey Emery... you just inspired my next project... adding monitor angle (not what you have it set at, but what it should be mathematically) for triple screens to my calculator... thanks :) It's an easy formula, but going to be fun to code in the graphics ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.