First attempt at modding - VW Golf R32 mark III

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by MHansen, May 7, 2015.

1. MHansen

MHansen Registered

Hi all,

So, this is my first attempt at modeling a car at all. My 3 year old son have a heart for racecars (like his dad), although he think that almost every car is a racecar (for Scandinavians, he calls them all Racerbil). Anyway, he also thinks that our old Golf III 1.8 is a very cool racecar, so he was very excited when I told him that I wanted to make the car driveable in RFactor 2. Also I thought that this would be an excellent first attempt at modding, since the Golf Mark III has very nice rounded curves and not to many difficult holes and airducts.

This is the very first attempt at getting the baseline car-body in place. There are stille much to do before even the body is ready and then comes the interior, headlights, cockpit etc.

The images are here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But also since this is my very first attempt at making a car in any 3D program whatsoever, I have also a couple of questions. I have seen a tutorial on the web, where he splits the car up into many different bits and pieces. Front and rear bumper, spoilers, windscreens, lights, etc.
    So I wanted to hear, as my first question, what I would do when making a car for RFactor 2. I have thought of splitting it into carbody, interior (cockpit), lights and heckspoiler(s). I have thought of putting a larger heckspoiler and turbocharge the car, in order to make a touring car model, when I have all the rest in place.

Any other comment are also very welcome.

Cheers

2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Sorry, no modeler here, but keep it up! Golf is always good! :p

3. tjc

tjc Registered

I`m at about the same stage as you with modelling (I`m following a tut) so unfortunately I can`t offer much advice but I`m very interested in what advice etc others offer you on the model.

What 3d modelling software are you using? Max?

I`m sure some of the more advanced modelers will chime in and offer some help and advice, I certainly hope so.

All the best with your project.

I`ll keep my eye on this thread. :)

4. MHansen

MHansen Registered

So, I am ready with some updates. Still doing the 3dsmax modeling, but I think I have made a more streamlined model and also rims + tires + breaking disc. I have only one instance of the tire as of yet, but it is just a matter of copying it.

tjc: Yes, I am using 3dsmax 2012 both 32 and 64 bit (64 for most of the hard work and 32 for finishing up + creating gmt's)

View attachment 16688
    View attachment 16689
    View attachment 16690

I can see that there are still some geometry-problems around the front wheelbase, but overall, I think it looks rather good.

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015
  5. MHansen

MHansen Registered

Update for the car and a question for the experienced modders.

I have finally managed to put the car into rfactor (still a lot of texturing work needed, but it gives a very basic idea about how the car would look).

View attachment 19674

View attachment 19675

But as you can see from the two images, the car looks fine in showroom but in-game, the rideheight is very very high and the tiresize also seems to be wrong. I would like to know if anyone can point to the place were I can change this.

I will keep on fighting.

Cheers,
    Michael

6. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Great work. Good to see someone starting out from scratch.

Tyres/wheels can be rescaled in 3dSimEd. And the cars ride height can be adjusted in the HDV file - you can either set the right height, or change the graphical offset.

Keep up the good work though. rF2 is crying out for more street cars... :)

7. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

HDV for ride height (look for graphicaloffset line in the top part of the file).

What does the physics consist of? TBC, TGM, PM, Chassis?

It's probably looking fine in showroom due to the TBC is used here and the TBC is "adequate"... For on-track use it uses the TGM (unless driven by an AI, it uses TBC again). So if you can, test how looks with the AI controlling your car, if the appearance changes.

Other than that I use 3Dsimed to resize and reposition stuff.

8. Jokeri

Jokeri Registered

Did you put the bottom of the car to Y0 when you modelled it?

Has the suspension points been measured or guessed?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2016
  9. MHansen

MHansen Registered

I have solved the problem. The easiest way was to manipulate the graphicaloffset. But thanks for your answers. I have another problem, though. I have managed to put in the external windows and for the texturing part, I think they look reasonable. But the windows themselves look terrible. Does anyone have any good advice how to align the vertices in the windows, for them to look good. I tried to do a turbosmooth, but that didn't help. I haven't tried to increase the number of polygons yet, though.

View attachment 19705
    View attachment 19706
    View attachment 19707