Official Oculus Rift Consumer version one announcement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, May 6, 2015.

1. RichFreed

RichFreed Registered

Maybe the split-up to 2 screens nets more usable pixels at the outside peripheries (each eye's inside peripheries are restricted by our nose after all). Looking forward to finding out once released!

Unfortunately I have a sinking feeling that 1200 is just not going to be enough for the likes of Star Citizen (the HUD text is already pretty small on normal monitors ATM). Elite Dangerous on DK2 text is almost unreadable unless you lean into the text.

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I've been looking around the web for HTC vive resolution and it seems only 1 link (gamespot) comeback with saying 1200x1080 resolution per eye. Everywhere else i've found, including the HTC vive wiki page that used the gamespot article as a reference for the resolution states it as 1080x1200 per eye.

I think it makes sense to go 1080x1200 direction to boost the resolution. If you use it in 1200x1080, it will have the same pixel density as the dk2 (assuming they keep the vertical fov the same) but with 25% greater horizontal fov. Whilst greater peripheral would be nice, i think higher res would be nicer.

I wonder if they opted for separate screens for cost or for a technical improvement (e.g. angle the displays separately per eye which could give a more fish-eye like fov without the fish-eye distortion).

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Why not just add pixels (resolution) as you add a wider screen? Then you can have both the extra peripheral and at-least the same resolution, well technically a different resolution, I should be saying "PPI" (pixels per inch) or PD (pixel density).

P.S. I personally like to use the "Pixels Per Inch" [PPI] or "Pixel Density" (PD) term better as resolutions are completely meaningless without knowing the size of the screen + the distance it is to the eyes

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Good question. Perhaps they are using standard 1080p mobile screens to keep costs low. They don't want to use the 1080 side as the vertical because that would be no different to the dk2, so they lob off some from the 1920 side (down to 1200) and use it as the vertical. You wouldn't want more than 1200 for the vertical then because anymore and the view through the rift will become too low an aspect ratio and really cut away the peripheral. As it stands now, 1080x1200 has the same aspect ratio as the dk2. dk1 was 0.8 (640/800), dk2 was 0.89 (960/1080) and cv1 will be 0.9 (1080/1200).

Don't forget though, due to parallax of each eye, the perceived/effective aspect ratio is going to be higher (closer to 1:1 probably).

Yes, that is a better metric. However, we do not know if oculus will increase, decrease or keep the physical fov with the lens or not. Point in case, whilst the resolution was increased on the dk2 from the dk1, the fov was also reduced which would have further increased the effective PPI of the dk2.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. RichFreed

RichFreed Registered

What your looking for is a Pixels Per Degree measurement. Because your might have what looks like a high Pixel density but becomes effectively low because of the amount of zoom the optics, distance from the screen & size of the screen create.

6. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Ah, yes. Thanks!

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Thanks guys

8. PaulG

PaulG Registered

It's not just the Wiki page, when the Vive was unveiled, HTC put up an official website page. And the specs they listed were 1080X1200 X2 @ 90hz. I know Tested initially mixed it up too, but it seems pretty cut and dried that they're going the exact same route with this.

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

With regards to dual GPU systems (well, so far, at-last AMD Crossfire) and them working in parallel with VR sets, and also reducing latency (rather than increasing latency like in the usual, 2D dual-GPU setups of today)...

source --> http://wccftech.com/amd-launching-fiji-based-graphics-cards-june/

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Cheers spinelli

I'm more of a single gpu nvidia guy so it will take alot to change this, if users get a better experience with AMD duel I'll move to this route no probs. sure nvidia will do something Simalar if it proves successful though I'll just add another Titan to my setup

Even lower latency ...... Drool!

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya, Adrian. It sounds great as it doesn't seem to have any of the issues which cause so many to be against multi-GPU setups today. Then again, will it work as good in reality as AMD claims? Personally, I think it will as I believe the GPUs running in a sort of parallel mode (each screen and GPU dedicated to eachother) is the key behind it all. Just my opinion though.

I hope you're right about Nvidia following suit. I would expect them to.

13. bwana

bwana Registered

Not knowing anything at all about the system ,how is it for optically challenged people(me) . is there a way to change focal length individually on each side?

14. PaulG

PaulG Registered

It wasn't long after Valve unveiled the Vive that they tweeted out a statement that there were able to get 2X performance out of AMD's VR drivers (after like 2 hours worth of work). And let's be honest here, AMD has never actually been cutting edge. So if they can do it, I would expect Nvidia to achieve similar results with VR. I don't think there's really anything magical about it. The issues have been identified and largely addressed. So both companies know they have to implement the solutions into their drivers are have their lunch eaten by the other company.

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya, Paul, I'm so pumped about it because I'm a dual-GPU guy (even though they're sometimes frustrating and at times suck). Proper dual-GPU scaling, reduced latency even relative to a single GPU, and I'm guessing none of the other common dual-GPU problems (eg. stutters, low minimum frames [even though avg. might be good], etc.) make me excited for this.

I'm glad to hear about that statement from Valve, I didn't know the VR drivers were actually tested yet (and in a Crossfire setup). Very positive news.

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hi bwana -the oculus dk2 came with 2 sets of optics, one for people that use glasses (not sure how good they are),
    no doubt the next gen VR headsets will have something for people that wear glasses, be great if optics could be ordered to match ones glasses too ( I don't wear glasses so no need to try the other lenses that came with my dk2 )

17. bwana

bwana Registered

Thanks Adrian , look forward to testing once available in store.

18. Depco

Depco Registered

With respect to the optically challenged. If you look at the GearVR by Samsung (powered by Oculus) They have an adjustment to fine tune the focal length for those who are far and near sighted. This assisted in people not having to wear their glasses to use the device. I imagine Oculus would address this issue with the CV1. Certainly they understand that many people have to wear glasses as contacts either are not an option or are not available. Hopefully they use some sort of adjustment for CV1 as it has been mostly successful in GearVR.

19. bwana

bwana Registered

Thanks Depco , was going to be a major deciding factor for me.

20. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Hehe! You could send me the one you like the least if that's true. :cool:;)