The Howston G4 and G6 are way under appreciated

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buddhatree, May 5, 2015.

1. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

It's like what we do here in finland to foreigners. If the foreigner don't understand what you are saying in finnish, say the same thing again louder.
    Seems like i also was doing the same thing in this thread.

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

When you fart in the car, turn up the radio to mask the smell. Works every time.

3. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Good to know plenty people enjoy those old race cars. Not my cup of tea, for me it drives like a truck but I recognize how hard work was spent on those cars building / physics modelling. It's convincing, problem is the real thing is probably tricky as the virtual version...

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

It was the reason he took a forced forum vacation last time... looks like it won't be long till the next one :)

5. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Was doing some testing for a video I'm working on and involved some comparison with Howston. Cobra makes Howston's feel like modern GT2...

6. Emery

Emery Registered

I need to do that testing like that soon. I'm pretty certain setup is everything :)

7. yusupov

yusupov Registered

well this makes me feel worse. just for fun after remembering this thread i ran the '69 G6 at historic spa yesterday & didnt even die until the 3rd lap..tbh there was a ton more rubber than i wanted (saved it as medium or something, it was very heavy) so i figured that was why.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Woodee, please stop spreading lies or assumptions. I was banned because after a thread of mine was closed/locked (a technical thread about PCs, input lag, etc. nothing about physics. driving, etc. and nothing even specifically about RF2 or ISI), I re-started a new one right after (same thread); that was also the second time I've done that. (start the same thread right after the previous one was closed/locked) So I got a ban.

Also, if there's a very, very particular issue that has been extremely evident since at-least F1-2002 and possibly even earlier (never played or know much about Sports Car GT) then why not be vocal about it on the forums? Maybe ISI will investigate it because of my explanations and such, maybe not, the point is, RFactor 2 and ISI are mainly about "hardcore" simulations and things like physics (wether praise or criticism) should be the number 1 subject being discussed in my personal opinion.

Physics is the only reason I play any racing-car game/sim; it's all I care about, no "ifs", "ands", or "butts" therefore if I feel something is wrong - and because I'm so passionate specifically about the ISI physics engine - then I will gladly explain that viewpoint of mine in hope of some kind of improvement.

There's no reason to make personal comments against me or anyone when I'm/they're not being rude, disrespectful, not bashing, not trolling, no bad intentions.

9. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

One of the reason i do rf2 is because ISI themselves are doing the cars. And if ISI (the one who f1 teams hire to do their simulators, altho Gjon said rf2 and rfpro is totally different) is doing the cars and physics, i wont question it at all. And u can see it in the dev notes. Very rare i see ISI changed anything into the number...only adding stuff...like cobra's CPM, the coming transmission model, and recently flexi chassis.

And unlike iRacing, where they change their BOP when they add new cars into the series and nerf the fast cars.

10. Dalek

Dalek Registered

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2015
  11. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Man I spent some time on set up in the Howston. My reasearch went as far as finding and reading the Hoosier technical manual to try to understand the cross ply tyres.
    It didnt help me much since as we know the contact patch modelling isnt perfect yet.
    Still I learnt some stuff. (cant us really low pressures as the sidewall distortion is not a good thing in a cross ply))

12. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Come on guys, Spinelli`s opinion is as valid as you`s , it is not up to you what he writes here in forums, if you don`t like what he writes go to hes profile and add him to ignore list and you don`t have to read hes reply`s or threads, simple inst it?
    Tim is doing fine job as site leader let him desire what is allowed and what is not.

Grow up guys.

13. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Do what I did. Take Cobra to Tiger Moth Test Track and get a fairly consistent time. Then take the '67 G4 there and you'll see what I mean...

14. Emery

Emery Registered

Yeah, the Howston's tires are balloons when you check tread temps. CPM helps the Cobra's front tires, so they're less like balloons.

Cantilever bias-ply slicks are notorious for sidewall flex, but it's weird to watch because they're such a low profile. The bead area stays put, with the cantilever sidewall moving in/out as much as the width of the cantilever while the tread is reasonably flat.

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Come on Dalek, I gave a long reply about physics for this car, talking about how it's great fun and awesome to drive in rFactor 2 but just that some general physics-engine things stand out a bit. While on the other hand, you posted here to contribute absolutely nothing to the topic of this thread, or RF2, or racing sims at all. You posted literally only to try and tarnish me. What is the point of that? If anything, that sort of behavior should be worthy of a ban.

P.S. That quote you posted from Tim absolutely blows my mind. A. "Constantly spamming the forums"?? "Useless threads"??? "Misinformation and bullcrap"???? The only thing that's misinformation is that comment itself. I don't want to sound conceited, but I'd say 50%-75% of my posts on this website are aimed at helping/assisting people with things like graphics settings, hardware problems, software problems, giving advice on hardware etc., etc. I've even created some quite in-depth RF2 graphics settings guides to help as many people as I could; just look at the 4 links in my sig for some examples. I've done a massive RF2 benchmark with all sorts of settings and setups for framerate comparisons, huge thread on monitor strobing modes "Lightboost hack" (which some said made the driving in RF2 even better), and much more. I'm usually trying to help other people get the best experience out of rFactor 2 possible, therefore it is a bit of a shock and maybe even a little sad that I'm on the receiving end of negativity just because I started voicing some opinions regarding a few very, very particular physics behaviors of the engine.

On top of that, I even created some of those same threads on two other websites (RD and ISR) so as to help as many RF2 users as possible to get an as good experience as possible. I have spent a lot of time and effort into trying to help RF2 players, and spreading my enthusiasm for the game to try and get more and more people onboard RF2 :)

Anyways, I hope this thread can go back to discussing the Howston G4s and G6s. I didn't want to post this, but I'd at-least like to defend myself especially regarding a comment like that.

Back to the original topic please :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2015
  16. Dalek

Dalek Registered

Should i start my post by the howstons are great fun then ?

I dont need to tarnish anything, you do it fine yourself.
    You hijacked a thread with opinons, i have opinions too. 'nuff said.

17. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Best post in the whole thread! Cracked me up. :)

18. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Never thought to turn the radio up I always just roll the windows UP. Unless of course, if I'm the only one in the car, then I roll windows DOWN

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

All Historic are great.

Not to say rF2 is perfect Spin, I would be lecturing SMS and Kunos about physics though.

I tell anyone drive Lotus 49/ BT20 and Cobra in rF2-AC-pCars. nuff said hehehe

20. Phatboy

Phatboy Registered

Spin's right, the Howstons have been great fun since their arrival. They were the early "cobra" drive if you will. And they will only get better with updates to be on par with the cobra itself!