As an Rfactor dude, what are your thoughts on Dirt Rally?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Squeeekmo, May 1, 2015.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

It'll be exciting to see how much CM decides to listen to the community this time around.
    Some key people have been "switched around" so maybe this new engaged behavior is a result of that.
    "No more s***ty games" or something like that? ;)

I'm looking forward to pCARS as well, because it just looks insanely entertaining.
    I'm not expecting to be blown away by the physics and the force feedback, and that's not why I pre-ordered it either.
    I just want to be entertained. :)

Which is why I also bought DIRT Rally, GTA V, BeamNG (way back when early access started), Wreckfest, etc. etc.

You bet I'm not playing it right haha, I suck at all things related to rally. ;)
    But I still find it fascinating and want to improve myself.

I just don't take it as seriously (yet) as road racing. So I'm slow, and bad at it haha.

That said I do feel the DIRT force feedback is really strange. But that could be me, having been forever damaged by rF2's ffb, which pretty much makes everything else feel strange to me.
    Not trying to sound arrogant or fanboy here, but that's the bitter truth; the feel of rF2 has ruined most other racing titles for me.

CM seems to be on the move right now, listening to what the community has to say, etc. etc.
    This is good and I'm sure DIRT Rally could end up being quite an epic rally game, if CM keeps the momentum up.

2. yusupov

yusupov Registered

its definitely not just you; in fact there seem to be a tremendous amount of simracers id describe as desperately wanting to love this game in spite of (chiefly) the ffb being nonexistent without tweaks & mediocre at best with them. after my 24 hr cynicism wore off, i did find evidence theyre really trying -- as bad as it might sound, i really dont think the devs had any idea of what good ffb is; as far as they were concerned, w/e codemasters had been doing here was perfectly fine. but they opened up a twitter discussion with this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6tEZ-EaJzk, & -seem- to be intent on really improving it. which could pay pretty big dividends for CM down the line. this team is actually ok going outside that bubble; in fact as they claimed w/ the early access pitch, they may even be intent on doing it.

the cars so far in-game seem to have been carefully selected & already given a lot of love -- i dont know how much (if any) are just carryovers from previous dirt titles, but im pretty impressed. so im definitely hopeful w/ this one, if not, i can already say itll be the first codies title ill feel ive gotten by money's worth since...possibly ever (never played the toca games everyone harks back to).

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Oh that's a great video.
    And I love that CM acknowledge the criticism in the comment section.
    Things look bright I think.

4. speed1

speed1 Banned

CM died with Toca and after CMR 2 i think it was and it would be nice to see CM back on the roots, even if i'm out of the rally stuff since a long time, but i fear the ffb at least will hold it back to be really fine, and yes the rf2 ffb has changed a lot but it also is not perfect.

The Reiza title have the best balanced poor steering behaviour i ever did experience in a virtual world. Ofc it misses some features but nothing a real car would have.

Those guys get the alignment and dynamics on the steering trough the surfcace and tires right.

So my credit for the best steering wheel balance goes to Reiza.

So if at all CM should check rf2 and Reiza title, as the free to play one as for example.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2015
  5. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I really hope they fix that counter steer resisting force thing what that guy on the video speaks about. Because of that i don't want to play the game even for relaxed fun with steering wheel forces on. Felt like i start to learn wrong things from the game. But playing it with gamepad is pretty fun and have to test it like on the video, with steering wheel without forces, or without centering/spring/self alignment forces.

6. speed1

speed1 Banned

That's it, it teaches you something else but not how to controle a car, leave out the impression you get, while seeing something like a car moving, while it feels like controlling something else.

Once the ffb isn't correct simulated, it looses the esence and sense of using a driving simulation with a steering wheel.

The feedback should be priority number one before something else, and because it seems it again wasn't with the release of the early access, i doubt it will become much more pro.

As said would be nice if, but without it even is useless for some entertainnent with a steering wheel.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Zzzzz

Does anyone expect it to be, or really care if it's not ?

8. speed1

speed1 Banned

Don't know, i don't , and i have no words in english for it but, es geht mir am Arsch vorbei, um ehrlich zu sein. :)

9. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

I bought it day one, I had the pace note bug, couple days later they released a patch and fixed that bug. They seem to be listening to the community, I think this is an only PC title?? with that its a niche market right out of the box. I am hungry and many others for the next RBR, is this the next RBR? NO is it the best modern rally simcade right now? I don't know, never played WRC-4 I heard so many bad things about it, I never gave it a try. We need a proper rally sim, G Rally is interesting but there is just no money behind it. With Codemasters track record I am not convinced that it will be full sim. Dirt is WAY fun, I love it! It plugs up the void for now, for me, a truly pure modern rally racing sim. (as much as it can be)............time will only tell. It is a splendid start!

10. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

For me its physics is already good enought to play and enjoy it, but for some reason that forcefeedback problem (countersteer resistance) kills it for me. It feels like spending time trying to learn to play piano which buttons are in wrong order. There is challence and you might get feeling of achieving something when you succeed, but it has no relevance to anything else. It can make it even harder to learn the real thing after it.

11. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

I like this new Dirt Rally, it's going in really good direction. Once they sort out FFB, fill the game with more content, it could be the next best thing after RBR.
    Even in this Early Access state it's very enjoyable after some tweaking of FFB, and also not that easy as it maybe looks or one would expect it to be.
    The game is definitely leaning more to a sim rather then arcade.

12. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

13. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'm watching this one from the sidelines, thanks to all posters for comments & thoughts

15. Squeeekmo

Squeeekmo Registered

Had the chance to give it a go over the weekend and while I did find myself enjoying it at times, there were many short comings. The obvious being the FFB, It just doesn't feel like Its connected to the road surface. Hopefully they spend the time to fix it. The physics seam ok but not overly polished. I feel this title will only be as much of a sim as Forza or Gran Turismo series. Still, it will probably be the best rally game we will have for some time.

What's good about it.
    1. The Co Driver
    2. The tight and long stages
    3. The engine sounds
    4. The graphics are good but hopefully will be improved further.

What it needs.
    1. Proper force feedback
    2. 1-1 wheel rotation and 900 and 1080 degree support
    3. Actual custom FOV not that weird 0.0-1.0 scale they have going on.
    4. Steering wheel needs an option to turn off.
    5. Ability to change seat position

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2015
  16. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I've been enjoying it very much.

17. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

After cranking the rotation way down in the wheel profiler I actually had quite a bit of fun with it yesterday. When and if the force feedback gets sorted I can see myself spending a lot of time playing it. :)

18. Squeeekmo

Squeeekmo Registered

Yeah, plays way better with low rotation. I tried with profiler set to 900 and saturation to .30 (to match the wheel rotation on screen) but it messes with the feedback. Definitely better if you set the rotation low in profiler instead of messing with saturation.

19. William David Marsh

William David Marsh Registered

Time to grab some popcorn!

Long story short, it's more of a challenge than any previous DiRT title in my opinion. The narrower stages and improved atmosphere makes a major improvement.

Force feedback has some solid feel through my T500RS, but it can be improved. It still falls prey to the same issues that other Codies titles have. Luckily, it looks like Codemasters will be improving the Force Feedback soon, with input from community member Betta Lines. Let's hope this pays off :D

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

There is a lot I like, from the stylish 2 page Ui bombards you with info to the hard to get out the head soundtrack (
    I barely ever keep original soundtracks ) lolp

On Physics keep thinking like you are and you may be pleasantly surprised not to be too disappointed.
    FFB same, you have a dozen settings for it, again I think you be more pleasantly surprised.

My advice start a career from Tier 1 default race settings for a few days depending how many hours you do lol
    Slowly builds the atmosphere nice, time of day, weather , etc.

You can have multi-careers and start any tier you like with variable strength / distance.

Hey, get busy :p ;)

http://www.projectcarsgame.com/digital-manual.html