Rear view mirrors look terrible [Solved]

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by PRC Steve, Apr 26, 2015.

1. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Yesterday I upgraded from a single 40" screen to 3 x 20" LCD screens, I have run triples before with softTH but now I have the Gpu power to manage without the 2nd graphics card. I must admit I haven't noticed any performance drop and I am really happy haw everything is running with my new set up ( more setting up and testing to be done )
    Anyway to the point, Since the upgrade, in car mirrors and virtual mirrors ( I don't use now ) are really badly rendered, loads of jaggies and pop ups. I tried a forum search and tried the rearview cull true/false line in the .json but there was no difference. The big tv screen I was using was at a lowly 1024x768 so I may not have noticed how bad the mirrors looked but now I'm at 4240 pixels the mirrors look awful, Is there a line in the .json I have overlooked ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2015
  2. canastos

canastos Registered

Check if you are using SLS as safety car, that could be the culprit
    If it's not the case, have you tried different cars to compare?

What a step, four times increased resolution! :D

byyyyyyyye

3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I'm not sure about this, but I believe the resolution of the mirror is controlled by the mirror.bmp. The bmp file is inside the vehicle.mas file. The default resolution is 2024x128 for all 3 mirrors. Some1's Corvette and the NSX have 4096x256. Have you tried these cars?

4. stonec

stonec Registered

Rearview cull (what objects are shown in rearview and how far) is from what I know determined by track SCN file, so all mirror options are more or less mod/track dependent. Mirror quality doesn't come free, some very high res mirrors would cause significant drop in FPS.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You can alter cull and back clip in the player.JSON:

"Rearview Cull":true,
    "Rearview Cull#":"Whether to cull objects in the rearview based on visgroups in the SCN file",

"Rearview_Back_Clip":0,
    "Rearview_Back_Clip#":"Back plane distance for mirror (0.0 = use default for scene)",

Cull is used to hide a lot of objects to keep rendering speed up, back clip will cause some pop ups (or pop.. er... downs? offs?) with the normal settings, a large value should keep everything drawn. Both at the expense of FPS of course.

6. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Thanks guys, I knew about these .json lines, tried them and still have really bad jaggies only in rear view, strange. I will post a screenshot later.

7. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

The terrible mirrors seem to be related to a mod of the Clio or the Clio itself. I tried the new updated version of the Seat Leon and the AC Cobra and mirrors are super high definition so please disregard this thread.