help an ignorant fool: cresting the hill @ LRP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yusupov, Apr 22, 2015.

1. yusupov

yusupov Registered

so yesterday i figured id try to tackle skippy, & thought LRP with no chicanes (mistake) was a good idea.

something keeps happening, over & over again, & the only thing i can do to stop it is go slower. and..i mean, im PRETTY sure going slower here isnt the only option. im not generally going very fast, speaking relatively.

ive got a second problem area @ LRP in rf2, but its the same kindve issue. ill try to explain: im driving the car in what i feel is a stable manner. throttle application is, eh, delicate (kindest word for it; im driving like a wuss). im basically not doing anything. suddenly the car veers right & i lose all control.

theres prob a setup solution to this kinda stuff but ill get around to learning that soon (hopefully) -- what im doing, i feel like it must be driver error, & its frustrating bc i have NO IDEA why. ive also booted up iracing & while their skippy has a lot more grip, at LRP in the SRF & just now w/ the corvette, i have had the EXACT same issue. IF i survive this, the next turn kills me 90% of the time, 9% of the 10 being times i approach it at what im reasonably sure are painfully slow speeds.

doing a quick lap in the SB in iR just now i do notice there seems to be a slight hop at the top of the hill, which is probably not coincidental.

is there a word for this? what am i experiencing & how do i correct it? is it actually a case where i simply need to buckle down & learn setups, or is it a basic driver error?

embarrased thanks!

oh, & i am using national tires, fwiw

2. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

to me it sounds like a very simple driver error (though, I'm not the best sim-driver either). On the top of the hill, as the car comes over the crest, the rear end gets lighter, so suddenly you'll have less traction. If you hold the throttle at a constant position then, due to the sudden traction loss, the rear tyres will start to spin very slightly, the engine increases revs, and off you go..... To stop this from happening (or to reduce the effect at least), either go slower, so your rear end doesn't get as light (so less traction lost), or reduce the throttle input right on top of the crest (so that the rear tyres won't spin, even though they suddenly lost some traction). Or, if you really want to tackle it with constant throtlle, at reasonable speed, then at the very least make sure that you go completely straight over the crest, with your steering wheel straight as well!!!

Well, at least that is how it sounds to me what you are describing, and how I would solve it ;)

3. jjcook

jjcook Registered

yes the rear is getting light over the hump and displacing the rear sufficiently to cause a vearing to one side-

its a driver correction - practice taking air and you will overcome- the ring is good for that ;) - something you are doing on approach to the hump or upon contact with it will correct it- it can be done with steering input or throttle - you need to take the hump straight and lift when the rear gets light, - usually works- but you can always catch it too with some steering input , its a practice thing....i think that hump can be taken flat out in a skippy once you are used to its location and what angle you need to hit it at

4. yusupov

yusupov Registered

thanks guys! i think i tried lifting, but im not even sure; if i did i attached the same importance to it as mashing it, keeping it stable, etc since i didnt understand the basic physics at the core of the issue, so appreciate the explanations. will give it another shot back & report back with any further gripes :)

5. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I generally try to top that hill in the middle of the road rather than farther to the left. Seems to be a larger dip just past the crest near the left shoulder.

6. peterchen

peterchen Registered

7. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

thats default setup you posted :) and yea you need much more practice..if i remember correctly 0.56.xx or 0.55.xx was faster times,maybe lower

8. yusupov

yusupov Registered

thx for the tips rer! much appreciated. iirc my target pace is 1:04s or less. not sure if i mentioned it, but 95% in these gmotor sims typically challenges me to the point where i can win if it goes well & im consistent while still on my edge. given the short race times i use it makes for a nice, tense, but still restartable (rage-quitable) race :)

im about to try the SB @ barber but will revisit LRP very soon, going to experiment w/ ride height instantly tho.

9. yusupov

yusupov Registered

i can believe 55s but thats alien territory...just checking my iR optimal the one minute goal seems doable tho

10. peterchen

peterchen Registered

So your post could have been muuuuuuuuuuuch shorter! :p ;)

11. rer8

rer8 Registered

kiko... just delete your post. I have removed my feeble attempt to help someone who asked for help. Clearly there is none needed here. BTW: it was not about the speed... it was about technique and a setup. Very sorry I entered into an area that you are so clearly able and equipped to provide the necessary and desired information.

12. Dalek

Dalek Registered

Just curious about the setups here, have you tried adjusting the ride height and toe angles to more reasonable values ? ;)

13. jjcook

jjcook Registered

i thought it was excellent advice - 1.04 is not a bad time for a beginner- smooth and steady pace will yield a 1.01 pretty easy and is probably a good goal for this fella - i have to hit a perfect lap myself to break 1.00. maybe an intermediate time - 59.00