Help, Can not Join My Own Dedicated Server!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bassman, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Bassman

Bassman Registered

Hello,

I am trying to setup a dedicated server for me and my brother to do some driving. The server shows up on the list and he is able to join. When I try to join I get an error and the track never loads.

Am I missing something important? I setup the server, start it then go into multiplayer, pick the race from the list and join.

I have opened up a lot of ports on my ATT router and turned Windows Defender off and it still does not work. Any ideas?

Thanks

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

What ports did you foward ?

Did you make a static IP ?

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

4. Bassman

Bassman Registered

Thanks for your reply. Had a busy day yesterday... The ports I opened up are:

Yes, I my computer has a static IP as well. But, I do not remember needing to set the IP address in making the server.

I just don't understand how another person can join the game I started but from the same computer I can not join. Seems like the server would not work if something was not setup correctly.

5. David Turnbull

David Turnbull Registered

try turning upnp off (or on) in your router.

6. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

When you say he can join but you can't, where is he and where are you? Is he joining over the internet and you are joining from the LAN? Joining from the LAN can be tricky sometimes because the MM lists the private and public IP but it tries the public IP first which will often fail locally. If you select your server from the list and give it 20secs the attempt to join via public IP will timeout and then it will attempt the private IP and then the join button will pop up. But, if you are having trouble joining from the internet then it's probably due to not forwarding the ports on your router and also possibly not opening up your windows firewall. rF2 actually only uses 2 ports. If you are on the defaults then open these two:
    TCP:64297
    TCP/UDP:54297

On the windows firewall you can just allow all traffic from rFactor2 Dedicated.exe. Hit Win+R then type wf.msc to check your windows firewall rules.

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I guess I should have read the whole thread. If your joining locally you just have to highlight your server in the MM and let it sit for 20secs or so. It should eventually give up on joining via your public IP and then try the private IP and at that point the join button should show up. Back in older builds we had a LAN join check box which forced it to try the private IP first which was handy but I guess it was confusing so they went with this automatic route.

9. Bassman

Bassman Registered

Hello,

Thanks for your replies. I am creating the server and running it from the same computer I am playing RF2 on. My brother is joining over the internet.

I see the race in the matchmaker software and can press the join button. The next load screen appears and after about 20 seconds I get a "server connection failed" message.

Is this the behavior you are thinking of?

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I run server from the same PC I play on as well.

If I do not use a static IP for forwarding the ports it will do the exact same thing.

It would also not work if I use only the ports Noel mentioned.

I been running my own room from 1 PC for 3 years everyday, I think I got a pretty good idea what you need.

Either way opening a couple extra ports to test won't hurt anything.

11. David Turnbull

David Turnbull Registered

you only need 64297 and 54297 opened for a server on your own pc if your using default ports in mp.json, static ip is correct and make sure the ports are forwarded to the right ip (your pc), also try the upnp its caused me allsorts of trouble in the past when running servers from my pc and trying to connect to them.

12. nascar2112

nascar2112 Registered

I host my own server on a separate machine, seems like when i click on my server, it takes 30-40 seconds for the join button to be clickable. Miss the local connection option :) Just have 64297 and 54297 open like the poster above

13. Bassman

Bassman Registered

Thanks. I will give it shot. Doing some laps tomorrow.

14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Yeah I've not had any problems joining locally as long as I give it a while to give up on the public IP.

BTW, DD, rF2 only uses two ports now and it's been this way for a few years now. All those other ports you listed are history.

15. Bassman

Bassman Registered

o.k.

I have done some testing and the connection only seems to work on the first try. I changed my IP address to static, have the needed ports open and have the server running. My brother can enter the track. I can enter the track on my first attempt. Any attempt after (even with waiting 20 seconds or longer) results in the "server connection failed" error.

So it works but it does not work? Any ideas?

Why isn't there a check box to force a local IP lookup for those who are starting a dedicated server?

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Test booting yourself via the dedicated menu then rejoin.