ISI Servers PLEASE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ashes, Apr 13, 2015.

1. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Yeah I did and do :)
    But once I have bathed and put my Child to bed my window for a race is not big.
    Most of the time you cannot tell what mod a server is running within MM.

I paid for lifetime so not overly fussed as I know in time rF2 will be 'polished'.
    There's always other racing to fall back on :D

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Okay, I think I found the root cause. People are spoiled by closed platforms where all the content comes in the base install or a DLC so no one needs to download stuff to join a server. Downloading content was always part of racing online in rF1 yet no one bitched about it then.

I'm curious how populated AC servers with 3rd party content are. As much as people complain about waiting for content to download I am guessing they are empty. Unless AC has magic powers where 3rd party content teleports right onto your machine.

3. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Rely? Let`s race some tin tops mate , 70`s, 80`s or 90`s what quality mod would you like me to host? GTO...............

4. Wishmaster

Wishmaster Registered

If the Clio PC is missing you dont have the Clio Pacecar installed. Thats strange because it comes with every installer (lite or content)

5. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

its not so hard to find what you looking for really..remember the name of server(mostly is site name),go to their site and find what you lookin for if its not private..then you can play offline till download is done :)

AVL servers & Racecentar servers are just for them(private),because its a racing place where you have 10 simulators to race together..you can go there and you can race with them :)

and like noel said go to one server,practice a bit then others will join you for sure..maybe sometimes you will not have luck but thats the way to start fill server you like

6. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Going in circles now. When shown that there are plenty of easy to join servers the argument is deflected to not enough or wrong content. If pickup racing is what one is after, why not join iracing where they have rookie races every hour. :confused:

7. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

+1 from page 1

8. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Glad I'm not the only one thinking that

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I'm curios, what is the sig on your Clio_PC? I suspect your Clio is not the one that came with the original install or maybe the server you were joining was using a modified version of the Clio. The original should have a sig of: 20c3b0361ff21c94d628a05cfe98018748511e4671d0a3e986c0fa699fc0ecdd

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

You said the MM was messed up in the second sentence of the post I quoted. I guess you are referring to the build with the join button bug but I just wanted to clarify if you were saying something in general is wrong with the MM currently.

Again, I wasn't sure if you were talking about an ongoing problem or an isolated build. I do remember when Terence introduced some new prediction code which was causing collisions that shouldn't really happen. Again, at VEC we take the extra step to test builds and work around these sort of bugs. In this case it was a json option to disable the new prediction code. But if I remember correctly we skipped this build entirely because the setting needed to be changed on the client side and there was no way to insure that everyone would make the change. You can still turn this new prediction code on if you want. Even in 946. This new prediction code is a step in the right direction though. It seemed to do a really good job of letting you race really close to people, especially when someone had a higher ping. But it did flake out from time to time and cause really strange collisions. I suspect this was a slip up on the default json option. But yes, still a slip up.

That is one options sure. But another option is to just reinstall the last build. There, you have your roll back. It seems to me that ISI likes to push forward and solve bugs rather then roll back. Also, it isn't as simple as you make it sound. You say you know C++ and that you are a developer. ISI could be 5 builds past the last public build before anyone finds a bug. By that time they don't know exactly what code caused the problem. Often times they can't duplicate the bug on their own to even debug the problem.

I completely agree that pickup racing needs improvements. Pickup racing sucked in rF1 too. What I don't agree with is that 2 or 3 bad builds is the cause of bad pickup racing. I think it's a combination of things all of which revolve around an open and complex platform compared to the king of pickups (iRacing) which is completely closed and doesn't have to deal with the challenges of random content. iRacing does have a very very slow build roll out. I'm not familiar with there testing process but I'm guessing they spend a full month testing before going public.

You do have a good point here. Although it's easy to roll back one build, the newcomer wouldn't know that it's necessary to do so. You make it sound so easy to comment one line of code and then do a build, which just isn't realistic. But what could be done is role back the code (with SVN for example) and do a new build but with a higher build number and release that as current even though it's identical to an older but more stable build. That would be a quick and easy way to put a stable build back. The thing is, sometimes the new builds bring a bunch of new changes which people really want to have and the bugs in the build may only impact online racing which a TON of people never do.

Prime time for me in Florida has ALWAYS been a ghost town online. In rF1, GTR2, iRacing, rF2, ect ect. Americans just don't seem to be into racing the way the rest of the world is. They watch NASCAR but they don't focus on the details of racing like the rest of the world does. You don't watch NASCAR and think, man he totally blew his breaking point. It's a stupid form of racing. America just sucks for racing plain and simple. As I've said before, I have a tool that monitors the MM and it peaks every day at the same time but unfortunately for me it peaks about the time I leave the office to have lunch. It's ALWAYS been this way for me. I've mostly race in leagues and I've always done 100% of my practice online. But I typically sit on the server all alone for hours and then right about the time I'm ready to call it a night, others start to jump on the server. I guess there are more racers on the west coast. It's just the way it is. I've just gotten used to it. And I'm not just talking about rF2. I am mostly talking about rF1 where I didn't race on a team. Now that I only do endurance racing I don't race alone because we all (the team) agree on a time to get on an practice together. But the fact is, the numbers aren't dropping like people keep saying. But as you say, stagnant isn't great either.

They did NOT have a fix right away for this. They may have thought they did but they were having a hard time duplicating the problem. They did a build with the threading disabled and still had CPU spikes. They spent weeks trying to narrow it down without luck. Even on this latest build with the threading disabled there are still threads with people experiencing spikes. So it still isn't fully solved by simply disabling the threading in the json file. Same goes for the MP join button problem. They added some test code to launch the game and select the join button over and over and do all sorts of things to simulate a human trying to join and they couldn't consistently reproduce the bug. But they eventually solved it. They aren't just holding on to fixes just to run off customers. Rebuilding an old build with a new number is about the only way I see bad builds being fixed quickly.

11. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Well I'm not going to read 5 pages, but I will offer my POV on the matter in general...

1) Pickup racing is crap and meaningless unless there is incentive to drive clean and also a driver level ranking based on results and skills of those raced against

2) League racing is best if what you are looking for is in demand in your timezone/availability and being hosted or you are willing to host

3) Offline racing is best for everything else and also has MANY other advantages as well, such as driving whatever, wherever, whenever and (possibly the most important) HOWEVER you want. Many don't drive correctly online, don't use clutch, etc. and also don't use realistic setups and also many spend 40 hours / week practicing and testing, etc. etc. etc. etc. Humans are great, but so are AI ;)

12. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

But it is important for new players coming into the game right? Are new players important? Everybody has to start somewhere!

13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Much smaller number of server running 3rd party. The game has a great collection of cars that can run together so there are endless servers with GT2 and GT3 cars also mostly on stock tracks. There are a couple of special ones like the Mazda 787B at Spa, for example, but the amount is much smaller.

14. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Very, very important.

15. stonec

stonec Registered

There are still people with CPU spikes on latest build, but that doesn't prevent leagues from running it. That's the way it is with PC software, hundreds of configurations which can produce all sort of weird bugs.

16. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

No, it's not important to have crap pickup racing for new players. iRacing style maybe because at least they learn how to drive clean but crap? Nope. Time is MUCH better spent studying, hotlapping, racing AI and/or, best of all, in a developmental league vs arbitrary waste of time crap pickup racing.

17. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

To YOU psr.....

18. Ashes

Ashes Registered

Noel - Embarrassed to say this, but how do I check the sig of the file?

I downloaded the pace car about a year ago. Downloading it again now, let's see if that resolves the issue.

19. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

I know you come wading into this discussion without having even bothered to read it as you said yourself. So let me put it more simply to you :-

As far as new players are concerned, is it a good thing or a bad thing for RF2 that the new players can race in open servers that are not empty and often manned often by admins who care for free, or not?

Honestly best time I ever had on this sim was back at the start in the ~ISR~Megane server. Only problem I had getting in servers back then was waiting for someone to leave cause it was full to 30 all the time from 4pm to 11pm it was happening in there. A bit of mayhem sometimes! And sometimes it was me causing it! Bust mostly awesome good times for all I loved it, best memories I will ever have of RF2 they are I reckon. Full to 30 all the time from 4pm to 11pm - that don't happen no more PSR, is that a good thing?

I am taking about open accessible servers in general. I see you have twisted it to mean your own personal view on pick up racing. What we are talking about is the general well being of the game, as you said yourself, you would not know anything abut that because you did not even read it.

20. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Renault Clio 197 Safety Car is not Clio_PC, Look into \Documents\rFactor2\Installed\Vehicles if you have Clio_PC folder, if it is not there that is why you can not join MP, you can download Clio_PC here:http://www.mediafire.com/download/yu185gula94oj8l/Clio_PC.rar , unzip Clio_PC.rar into you \Documents\rFactor2\Installed\Vehicles and all is fine.