Big, bold, beautiful - life with triple monitors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Emery, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Eddy

Eddy Registered

No reflections at all Tuttle or just on low?

2. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

You wouldn't really need to use alot of buttons for pit-strategy etc. in AC :p The biggest issue with VR is that you get "blinded" from your actual cockpit.

3. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I'm using low on both.

4. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Thnks Tuttle.

5. Emery

Emery Registered

Built the racing rig extension today so all the monitors are no longer in danger of falling. Can also see that a channel to lock the tops together would be worthwhile. May have things a touch closer (22"-24" range) than I should have as I can't actually see the edges of the monitors through my reading glasses!

6. Emery

Emery Registered

I'm sticking with multiview. Main thing is to use Level 1 AA, shadows and shadow blur turned down one notch, reflections turned down one notch. Capping framerate at 80. With 29 AI, all ISI GT1-GT4 cars, Sebring start is 40-45 fps, 50-60 fps through the esses down to the hairpin, and then generally stays in the 70s throughout the race except for the pesky pit entrance where it briefly dips to 50 fps. I can live with occasional framerates in the 50s because on most tracks, most of the time, it's pegged at 80 fps. vFOV = 33 degrees, eye distance 23 inches.

Edit: I've also turned off the steering wheel & animation now, will probably reposition the "position crawl" to top of screen.

View attachment 16416

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2015
  7. ShuhDonk

ShuhDonk Registered

Here is my cockpit, wish rf2 had a little better triple screen adjustment like iracing and ac.

View attachment 16417

8. Jokeri

Jokeri Registered

Background like you have, do you have to use sunblock? :)

9. ShuhDonk

ShuhDonk Registered

lol its not that bright, came out that way in photo :)

10. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Good man.. Immersion is what you are about. If I were you, I'd push the seat position back a little bit, get that left hand mirror in proportion..... just my 2 cents. FOV looks good but I tend to add a few (up to 5) degrees of mathematical FOV as the car interiors vary.... enjoy Brother.

11. Emery

Emery Registered

@MrPix - thanks for your web site! Your projector setup was inspiring and I nearly went down that road, though in the end I decided that projectors aren't for me.

12. MrPix

MrPix Registered

My pleasure... I understand completely. If I could have triple 40"- 55" with no bezels @ 4k per screen on a single GPU in the space I have on my desk, I'd be back to triples in a flash!

Just uploading, so it will be there in an hour or so from this post : [video]]https://youtu.be/dNW-LtQHMSI[/video] and sorry, it's not rF2 on this occasion but relevant to this discussion.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2015
  13. ShuhDonk

ShuhDonk Registered

Damn, that is awesome!! makes me want to sell my triple 40's! I am mainly waiting for the rift or something similar with higher resolution than dk2.. that is the most immersion I have experienced myself using the rift in iracing, its amazing.. just the resolution is still **** yet. Once they double the res I will be full time VR I would imagine.

But I absolutely love your setup.. It looks amazing!

How is your head/body not blocking any of the projector? The projectors way above your head aiming on a down angle? This cause warping of the screen?

** I see, its way above your head, so its aiming down then? That does not distort the image at all? Or its not enough to make any difference. Wow, this is awesome, I am seriously considering doing something just like it now. Good job man!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2015
  14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

agreed re.rift

go VR & the immersion jumps up again 10 fold ( nasty res but well worth it )

15. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Thanks. The PJ is a short throw PJ, it's level horizontally in both planes... it just misses my head and my head shadow covers the wheel and the dash, hence using a digital one rather than a projected one.

HTH

16. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Projector is the way to go, of course I'm biased. I used to have 26" triples but once the FOV is corrected so the car is 1:1 there is almost no gain. Then the loss of content above and below really affects the immersion. I suspect this is why VR feels like such a huge leap for those using small monitors. A large projected image allows your eyes to look around in the simulated world, which is important to fooling your brain.

For those that have or been in track prepared cars the multiple point harness doesn't allow much movement. i.e. You aren't looking about everywhere, so it makes sense why pro teams use projectors.

I haven't tried VR and maybe when an entire helmet visor can be used as a 4K display I'll change my tune but I see no reason to wear something on my head when my head is mostly stuck in a forward position. I see VR as a game changer for a lot of things but racing sims, not convinced.

I agree with Pix though, triple 48" screens with no bezels would be a nice option. A native 21:9 projector would be perfect. :)

17. ShuhDonk

ShuhDonk Registered

There is no question, dk2 immersion is greater than any other solution I have seen or tried... It is absolutely amazing, it literally feels and looks like you are in the car, even get sense of motion (some people get motion sickness in the beginning, took me about 5 minutes to get used to it myself). The only holdup is the resolution right now... and from what I have read that is already addressed in the next wave of VR headsets. Even with the res the way it is its still plenty usable but for me I need a sharper image. (I already have a hard time looking at some rf2 content, because compared to iracing its sub par graphical wise imo) I know there are a lot of iracers that went full time dk2 already and sold off their triples... I am waiting for the next versions before I do that.

18. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Level 1AA did the trick for me. Thanks for your suggestion.
    Definitely multiview here with these settings, all on full except for shadows (med no blur) reflections at low.
    This indeed means ~50 fps at start against 24AI but gaining fast to over 70-80 within the first lap. Tested on malaysia and also mcnolo's bahrain.
    Online framerates are even higher

edit: looking great Emery reminds me of my own set-up ;)

19. MrPix

MrPix Registered

No, it seems such a faff to set it up. Also from what I can make out, the resolution would be limited to 720p @ 60fps or 1080p@ 30fps per eye, so don't think I'll bother despite having the glasses for over a year.

20. dbell76

dbell76 Registered

I also switched since last friday from a single 24" to triplescreens 24"
    I could not stop to have this big smile in my face, that was like beeing new born, the immersion is fantastic
    I fitted a nvidia gtx 970, have on rf everything maxed up,no ai up to 180fps
    With 20 ai my fps is about 70-80
    Pc spec, i7-4770 8gb ddr3
    Tested it also with rrre and works fine,only thing is on rr the picture in the sidescreens is streched,that looks not nice