Karts v1.14 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Apr 6, 2015.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

News item: http://rfactor.net/web/2015/04/06/karts-v1-14-now-available-for-rfactor-2/

One of the most fun and least appreciated types of racing in rFactor 2 has got to be the karts. While for some this can create a whole standalone simulation, it is merely one of many vehicle types we offer to our users as a free download. If you haven’t tried them yet, be sure to give them a try with this updated version!

Download here!
    (Requires up-to-date build of rFactor 2).

Physics (both Karts)
    – New tires which have enabled the contact patch model for the first time.
    – Added new wet weather variables for tires.
    – Numerous AI correlation tweaks. AI warm tires quicker, wear slower and more evenly (F/R).
    – Reduced inertia for wheels and engine. The wheels were set conservatively due to instability, an issue which new, more accurate tires have resolved.
    – Reduced axle and gearbox friction to what should be a more accurate level.
    – Softened undertray collision points which makes the kart more realistic and controllable over tall curbs.
    – Fixed geometry bug that went unnoticed that was caused by a build bug fix (which was improperly defined in the previous kart release, and has been corrected for Builds 860 and newer).
    – Tweak to reduce some ‘hopping’ experienced in certain extreme situations.
    Physics Junior Kart specific
    – Engine has more low end torque. Combined with other changes, it now accelerates a lot better from standstill.
    Physics KartF1 specific
    – Increased grip to correspond better with the class of tyre this is simulating.
    UI
    – Changed category name in-sim from ‘Kart Cup’ to ‘Karts’.
    – Camera offset to match steering wheel.
    Graphics
    – Updated shaders
    – Updated textures
    – Minor 3D fixes

The contact patch model is still not fully complete, but at a sufficient point now. It is still lacking some lateral and longitudinal variability due to temperature / pressure and the lat/long deflections are still slightly over sensitive under extreme conditions when patch is extremely small. The vertical deflections are considered accurate. We will release more details soon.

There are also some setup adjustments not yet available in the UI. An update will follow.

2. Justy

Justy Registered

Wow you've really spoiled us this weekend. Many thanks ISI team!

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

3. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Nice, thanks! Can't wait to test the new tire. :D

4. 88mphTim

Just one note, from my own experience. On a green track, the AI will spin more than they will on a rubbered-in one. Noticeably so.

5. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Thank you !!

6. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Thanks guys!

A question: is new RF2 UI optimized for karts setup or do we need to load karts UI when wanting to play with them? As I remember old RF2 UI didn't have some of the options available in setup like Kart UI had.

EDIT: nevermind, I've overlooked last sentence in first post. So Kart UI is needed.

7. 88mphTim

Yeah, bit disappointed it wasn't in the build, TBH. But just one of those things.

8. Foxiol

Foxiol Registered

Nice work ISI. But bring that SuperGT please!!!!!

9. brook

brook Registered

good work Tim, but I'm curious to see how works the contact patch in fisi car.

10. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Last time I checked it was put in the sim for the first time. Model and some basic physics stuff done. Depending on time spent on it, it might be not so soon or much later. :p It pains me as well man. I would love to have this sweet ass super GTR on my rig but have to be patient. :) In a meantime I think we may get Cobra, updated both Marussia and FISI, Megane (which will be rather soon) and perhaps updated DW12 before mid May. ;) After that who knows. I really hope car guys are having lots of fun and issue free work ahead of them. :)

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

The fabled Contact Patch Model. Awesome. :cool:

When I said earlier that ISI are on a roll, I wasn't wrong...
    I can hardly keep up at this rate! ;)

Thank you so much.

12. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I can't uninstall 0.991 kart car. And when i select 1.14 kart the car specific ffb mult is the same as in 0.991 kart. And when i come to mainmenu and watch cars, 0.991 seems to be selected. So i don't know am i driving the new kart.

Okay, i had to uninstall the multi cmp of old kart.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2015
  13. tjc

tjc Registered

Good stuff. Cheers. :)

14. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Got a server up for those interested :) "pitlanes.com karts"

15. Eddy

Eddy Registered

GRRRRRR TIM why now.......just when i have to go to bed........joking of course.

Man you guys really spoiled us this weekend. Can get used to this tho....hehe

please guys report your feelings about contact patch, so i will have to read something tomorrow when i'm at work.

Once more thanks ISI team.

btw Tim great profile picture you've got these days ;)

16. Justy

Justy Registered

First impressions.... very good! Only tried the junior version, but it feels a bit more lively than before. The front feels a bit more slidey and its easier to spin the rear wheels on the throttle, yet it is not overly difficult to control overall and general behaviour is quite similar to before. It does seem to take a slightly different driving style to get a decent lap in now and you have to be much more precise/careful with your steering and pedal inputs.

Just speculating, but I would guess this is going to make managing tyres more tricky, if the differences I can feel now in the karts, carry over to the other cars.

I have, however, noticed something when having a nosey at the tyres in action, in a replay. I see a lot of vertical wheel (not tyre) movement, i.e. suspension deflection. Excuse the poor quality video, keep an eye on the end of the tie rod.

Is this a bug? Or is it because there is no visual representation of chassis flex, at this time?

That aside, I'm very excited to see how this update to the tyres will affect the other cars, as and when they get updated. Good job ISI. :cool:

Cheers
    Justin

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2015
  17. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

I enjoyed new karts greatly. I adore how they drive how much workout they require from me. Sawing my wheel almost every faster turn. Smooth and slow steering moments in slow corners and it's really really close to my karting experience. Good job. I'm gonna drive them a bit more for next few hours perhaps :D

18. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Rock on ISI

19. Emery

Emery Registered

Trying not to be drawn into karts... "contact patch"... Must... stay... focused!

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

rfactor 2 is becoming for someone into racing sims as a candy store is to a kid with a sweet tooth