rF2 Rain Weather not correctly implemented

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Flickspeed, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Flickspeed

Flickspeed Registered

Hello,

Would like to post a few things about the rF2 rain weather simulation which we thought are wrongly implemented and need fixing.

1) We need more rain settings, preferably a rain intensity setting for each level of clouds for example a good mix would be:

a) Light cloud rain - 10%
    b) Partial cloud rain - 20%
    c) Mostly cloud rain - 30%
    d) overcast rain - 40%
    e) Storm rain - 60% of rain.
    f) Monsoon - 80% of rain etc...

2) There is a bug in track water accumulation. The track accumulates wetness as if it was a boat. Basically any amount of rain be it 20% or storm rain accumulates wetness like in a bowl with no exit lanes for the water. In reality a small amount of rain can only accumulate a small amount of water on track due to 3 reasons:

a) The cars spray and evaporate the rain.
    b) Water dries due to ambient and track temps and amount of wind.
    c) Track is not curved in but usually curved outward to keep the water to the edges and off track.

So the easy and correct way to simulate this would be to limit rain accumulation on track (or wetness) to the amount of rain that is actually coming.

3) Wetness accumulation has a second big flaw. It is currently linked to real road time scale. Which should have nothing to do with how much water goes on track... For example if you set road time scale to static like it was in rf1, then water doesn't accumulate at all! Which is clearly wrong. Real road time scale should only deal with the rubber laid on track, for example how soon the rubber is washed away from the track and how soon it is laid again, not the amount of water that accumulates on track. The speed of water accumulating or drying on track should depend only on:

a) Amount of rain coming.
    b) Temperatures.
    c) Number of cars on track.
    d) Anything else that makes sense but NOT real road time scale. For example in reality with more wind the water could dry faster etc.. can factor in such difficult things too...

I think that is all for now will make any additions if remember anything else.

P.S. Spray is unrealistic.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2015
  2. RGerke

RGerke Registered

yes thats 100% true, we wait a long time for it .... better rain effects an Windshield!

3. stonec

stonec Registered

I gues no sim has ever modelled water flow on track realistically. Would be nice to have one day though.

The realroad is not only for rubber, it controls all aspects of the road. If the road conditions are static, then water doesn't accumulate either. Design choice I guess. If you want to have things progressing realistic, use a realistic real road coefficient.

Spray is more realistic than in other games I would say. Codemasters F1 you barely have any spray at all, while it should be a big handicap to drive behind a car in full rain, like it is in rF2.

4. Flickspeed

Flickspeed Registered

Yeah actually most of these were solved in RFE for rF1 :) I think it is a wrong design choice to use road scale for wetness.

5. TOCA2FREAK

TOCA2FREAK Registered

I really hope wet weather gets fixed soon.

6. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Wet weather works, stop complaining, start racing ;)

7. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Ok, but this is not AC or pCars, maybe it "works" but rF2 is not made to "work" but to nail it ;)

8. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

"problem" is that tracks and MODs - especially tyres, don't keep up with the technical evolution. I'll say it's pretty damn close to perfect when done right.

9. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Agree on OP. The whole rain-implementation is half-arsed.
    And about the visual flaws with rain, most is said in another thread although I donĀ“t know if the horrible spray is mentioned there enough. :)