Indy Car 2015

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bkircher, Mar 30, 2015.

1. bkircher

bkircher Registered

Hi there guys

Just was curious if the rfactor guys haven any plans to update the Indy cars to the 2015 specs with the new Honda and Chevy aero kits?

Thanks guys

2. eltidi

eltidi Registered

I think they should first address the old model who was missing some key components.

3. doug484

doug484 Registered

I'm not sure I want all those broken bits of front wing all over the track...

4. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

5. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Okay, fans getting hurt badly at racing events stops... now. :(

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Whoever thought of the idea and then spent a whack of money designing and manufacturing them without realizing they will constantly be breaking off and causing yellows (or worse, like this injury) should be fired. Every race will be ruined until they get rid of them or radically redesign them.

7. bkircher

bkircher Registered

Honestly I don't think the manufactures of the kits are at fault. As demonstrated by all the drivers this weekend, Indy Car drivers are not nearly as precise as F1 drivers are. You rarely see F1 drivers clip the rear of the car with the wing causing bits to fly off during green flag racing/passing attempts, sure you see it happen quite a bit at the start, but other than that considering how close the gaps are in F1, it doesn't happen to often. Even the commentators on ABC mentioned that last year you could have gotten away with a "friendly" bump to the car ahead which goes to show that contact is something that isnt 100% foreign to the sport. Now in Nascar bumping is an extremely common thing, so I think that translates to American racing in general. Also I do think the aero bits for Indy could be a bit stronger in structure, but its mostly the managements fault, that track was incredibly bumpy, which clearly showed that the cars cant handle the amount of force of the added down-force along with the nature of the surface of the track. Even Monaco on the F1 circuit isn't that bumpy. I still fault the drivers 80% though. The drivers will certainly have to learn how to be more precise and know where every bit of the car is when passing someone.

Indy car does need to get more safety marshals though and implement local yellows instead of full course cautions everytime something flies off. Terrible for viewing and would solve the problem of going a few laps before deciding to go to full course caution.

Another thing on my rant, is look at how poorly placed some of the front wing bits are placed, like seriously, how do they expect any of these things to have any structural integrity, their so poorly placed in most of the areas on the wing, it clearly shows them trying to take after F1, and clearly failing miserably.

It is quite funny to listen to the commentators try to explain how some of these bits work when people like me who have been watching F1 for years are already so accustomed to seeing the cars look like that and how those bits for the most part already work and what purpose they serve. Indy car is simply ages behind in that aspect.

8. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

The moment I saw these cars I knew it's a safety issue.

Having so many street courses and much closer pack IndyCar is much more competitive and therefore much more of a contact sport than Grand Prix.

As to original question about updating IndyCar in rF2 - I don't think so. This is not IndyCar game, this is not Grand Prix game that needs to be updated every year. This is an all out simulator with cars from many different series and seasons. It would be next to impossible to keep them all up to date every year with decent physics quality.
    But with the platform being developed by ISI and a set of very diverse cars to prove it's worth, it may be up to modding teams, dedicated to given racing series, to deliver up to date releases. Otherwise I just don't see it happening.

Besides, with these safety issues I wouldn't be surprised if 2015 cars would soon change.

A bit of contradiction there :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2015
  9. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

I guess the answer of K Szczech regarding the rF2 update sums it up.

On the real life matter, it's foolish to blame the drivers, and not the manufacturers + Indycar, simply because they've ignored the core of their own product. People need to stop trying to want things to be the same. F1 is F1, Indycar is Indycar. It's not because both are open wheelers, that they have to be the same. OK, some may argue that the original DW12 allows too many contact, but honestly I prefer seeing close Indycar races at street circuits, than a F1 parade everywhere!

I guess, overall, the Indycar techs were naive, as FIA was with last year's phallic car noses. They set up a rule without thinking it through. They just let Honda and Chevy go for it, designing aero packages that suits them. Of course they aimed "downforce perfection". But they forgot that it's pointless to have the most perfect aero if you loose it at Turn 1 and drop to back of the field.

10. mattlambertson

mattlambertson Registered

I'm not sure if any of the devs are still active on this forum, doesn't seem like there are many staff posts anymore when compared to threads from 2012-14, but I would be grateful for an official word on whether the aero kits are part of the plan, as well as the additional historical Indycars that were promised (especially the 95 one, of course). While I enjoy other content, Indycar is my primary love and the original Indycar content announcement was what sold me on buying the game. Now almost 2 years later and we've only received a small fraction of what was advertised. Of course I understand ISI is very busy perfecting the game and working on other content so I am not complaining, just would like to know whether there is still something to look forward to on that horizon, or if I should be content with the existing release + whatever the community can add (CART Factor please!!) :)

11. Jamie Shorting

If I were a dev. I'd wait since I'd bet that the real life cars will change again this season, then again during the off season.

12. elbo

elbo Registered

so extrapolating that logic to F1...we would never see a car developed for rf2 lol.

13. Jamie Shorting

Ah, I thought we were talking Indy cars. ;) I know what you mean though, just messing with you.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2015
  14. eltidi

eltidi Registered

I don't get this aero hysteria they brought to the series, I have yet to see somebody say, yeah indycar was great but the lack of more downforce to increase yellows and remove close combat racing was what was needed.
    For me I would remove the aero kit, remove those fenders, open wheel please. In fact if somebody made a formula 3.5 series with less downforce and more power running in the america best circuits I will embrace it and forget about indy, I don't care if they are 10 seconds slower than f1, being faster doesn't mean better racing.

15. mattlambertson

mattlambertson Registered

The aero kits were conceived by a room full of guys who were tasked with trying to bring back the 90s open development multiple manufacturer grids nostalgia at a tiny fraction of the price. The quality of the racing was not first on their minds. Unfortunately, it does not appear to have worked out very well so far. I personally like the look of both new aero kits but if we lose the amazing racing of the past 3 years, screw them. Burn them with fire (the kits, not the guys who came up with the idea :D)

If they wanted to go this route they should have also mandated sufficient "mushroom busting" to manage the dirty air so this wouldn't turn into F1 Lite. No one wants that.

16. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

You would. You just wouldn't get a 2015 F1 car at the very beginning of 2015 season.
    And definitely you wouldn't get it if you had been given a 2014 F1 car less than a year ago (referring to DW12 here, actually :) ).

That's the point - no one is going to update it every time it gets updated in reality. If F1 fans would get frequent updates, then why shouldn't IndyCar fans be treated any else? What about GT fans? NASCAR fans?

No, you get a car from some specific point in time (previous season, 1966 season, 1998 season) and that's the car you get. It's modeled as accurately as possible and it will be updated when new information is available or new technology is available, allowing to model that particular car better.
    Sometimes more accurate data is available for newer version of the real car and in this case sim car may get updated to newer real version.

That's how it works.

Besides, if someone would give me a go in 2014 IndyCar, I wouldn't start my day complaining it's not the 2015 car :) It would not make my experience any less real. It would just be slightly different car and I would be experiencing what real driver was experiencing a year ago.

If someone wants to drive the latest cars with the most realistic experience, he shouldn't be a sim racer - he should become a real racing driver. Otherwise you can pretty much forget it :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2015
  17. Jamie Shorting

18. Minibull

Minibull Member

Certainly nothing was promised, they have just licensed a car, doesn't mean it will be made.

I'd say the chances are good though, just that things will always move slow with a small team of workers. Maybe they will start trying to partner up with some modding groups to handle certain vehicles, dunno.

19. Matt21

Matt21 Registered

hi,
    happy new year to all rf2 and indycar fans

i have seen that URD has made an indycar and indylight 2015 mod called Formula challenge et Formula light but only for Assetto Corsa (for the moment)
    https://www.facebook.com/UnitedRacingDesign/posts/818848734910969
    https://www.facebook.com/UnitedRacingDesign/posts/798964623566047

even if it is a pay mod, we can hope for a conversion to our rFactor2.

review by "onwheels tv"
    http://www.onwheelstv.com/assetto-corsa/united-racing-designs-american-content-for-assetto-corsa/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2016
  20. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

From their FB post, when asked if this "This formulas will be only for Assetto Corsa?"

Probably yes but we need to talk to ISI about it. They hold the license for Indy cars and we dont want to get them problems on that. Will notify you guys how the decision will be done for rF2.

That was posted Dec 6th. So hopefully, this can be converted and released, but I'm finding it unlikely unfortunately.