SRP Site Down: Possibly Looking for New Web Host...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by William David Marsh, Mar 28, 2015.

1. William David Marsh

William David Marsh Registered

Hey guys. I just wanted to give you an update on the Sim Racing Paddock website:

Just today, my web host decided to suspend my hosting package. Apparently, they are claiming someone tried to DDoS or spam my email or something, so they automatically suspended my account.

SRP isn't going anywhere, I'm trying to figure out how to resolve the issue, but I am getting fed up with my web host, so I may look to migrate. I am currently on Network Solutions, but I want your guys' input.
    What web hosting services do you recommend?

Thnaks in advance

I'll keep you guys posted on what's going on

2. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

I use Blue Host and have no complaints.

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

We have use eukhost.com for our league for years, no complaints either, very stable, proactive, secure and informative.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I use Bluehost on my personal site, and ISI does as well.

FYI, this also happened with rfactor.net. They tried to brute force our admin login, which overloaded the server. We blocked all IPs except mine from accessing the form via htaccess (redirecting them to localhost), but our site still went down due to the failed attempts to access the login page. This was with 1&1. Then, even thought the IP range was the same, 1&1 wouldn't even add the IP range to the firewall of the server. So we switched hosts with ISI to Bluehost as well. No issues, they just block stuff, and we have access to block stuff.

5. William David Marsh

Update:

Apparently someone performed a DDoS attack on the site, by exploiting my contact form on the site. I deleted the contact form for the time being, but it will be 24-48 hours before the site returns. I'll keep you guys posted, and I hope to make it up to you guys soon!

6. William David Marsh

And the site's back up :D :D Thank you for being patient

7. RJames

RJames Registered

If you was not aware, take a look at cloudflare and run your DNS through that. It can greatly help in (small) ddos issues on the free package and help in other areas, such as if the site drops out it will display a message.