Help with New Wheel Selection

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Bassman, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Bassman

Bassman Registered

Hello,

After playing rFactor 1 for many years, I have moved to rFactor 2 and am very impressed. Older than rFactor 1 is my Microsoft Sidewinder FFB wheel. I have had this since EA Sports F1... So it is time for an upgrade.

I have seen a lot about the G27 and the Thrustmaster T500. I was wondering if I could get some suggestions from the forum? I race a lot of open wheel but like GT & LMP1 cars as well.

FFB quality is most important to me. The T500 gets good reviews but I do not like that the paddle shifters do not move with the wheel. The G27 seems like the go to wheel. Is this a good choice?

Thanks for your help!

2. Lgel

Lgel Registered

I have a G27 for four years (pedals and shifter), still going as the first day.
    A very good choice if you put a premium on reliability.
    I use the shifter as sequental simply by configuring 3rd an 5th as up and dwn and taking the habit of moving back to neutral after each shift (easy).
    But I don't use it as a substitute to pump iron.

Drive everything with same pleasure, the wheel doesn't impose it's caracteristics, feels very diferent from car to car.

Cheers.

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Imo you should definitely get the T500. Night and day difference between that and G27. I used a G27 for over a year and a half, with great frustration due to weak forces, lack in detail and the hideous noise from the gears grinding against each other.

When I switched to the T500 it was like rF2 had become a whole new sim. Tons of details I had never been able to feel before, everything became much more controllable and fun to drive.

Especially the historic cars, I gained so much time by simply being able to feel much more.

If you're thinking of spending a lot of time sim racing, you should consider the T500. I was apprehensive about the paddles not moving too, but you get very much used to it after a day or two. You kind of forget about it, and learn to quickly slide your hands where they need to go when shifting during cornering. :)

4. Bassman

Bassman Registered

Thanks for your replies. Of course you have to make me think of spending $500! I do not see many other wheel to choose from. There is a T300.

I am keeping in mind that I will probably purchase an Oculus Rift this year as well. But it is only money and racing can be quite a hobby.

5. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

I have both G27 and T500, G27 is a very fine bit of kit indeed but T500 is a completely different level - the belt drive is the big difference, it is an awesome wheel. If you got the money the T500 (or one of the fanatecs) is what you want.

Also, I would forget about the occulus rift. Do not waste you money on that, get get the best wheel you can and play the sim in the conventional fashion. That is the best way.

6. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Same here do not be concerned about this,

7. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I stay away from gear driven wheels but that's me. I have a thrustmaster tx I got on sale over the holidays and am very satisfied with it.

8. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I have had a G25 for about 10 years now, I moved to Fanatec around 2 years ago but I still use the G25 Pedals and Shifter in my Rig, quite possibly I have used the pedals every single day for that 10 years, a little squirt of contact spray every now and again is the only maintenance they have needed, Absolutely bullet proof.

9. Bassman

Bassman Registered

Thanks a lot for the quick replies. Keep 'em coming.

10. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Very happy with my G27, no complaints at all, but i'm seeing so many happy people with the T500 that I can't help wanting it allot.
    But I don't spend money on things that aint broke, so here's hoping my G27 breaks soon.
    I might purchase a rabbit soon and accidently let it roam the house. is it my fault honey the cables are chewed in half? I think not!

11. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

Buy 2 because the first one could chew the power cord and you will gonna need another rabbit

12. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

If I buy two I will have 200 more in a month, i'm not stupid Luis.

13. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Definitely go for one rabbit, and then a T500. After that, you might not want to have a rabbit chewing your cables anymore... :D

14. Bassman

Bassman Registered

I watched a review of the TX 458 by Inside Sim Racing where the reviewer said the TX 458 was about equal to the T500 in terms of feel and force feedback. At $290 with moveable paddle shifters and belt drive it seems like a great way forward. Any TX 458 opinions?

15. coops

coops Banned

g27 best value for $$$ and if you can afford it go the new fanatec v2 with the universal hub.

16. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

The tx has a silky smooth feel. I can't compare it to the t500 though.

17. Bassman

Bassman Registered

The TX 458 is looking like a great option but I have been reading about a fair amount of hardware issues in Newegg and Amazon customer reviews. I will try to call the company on Monday to ask them if these have been noticed and addressed. Or look into an extended warranty.

18. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Any guesses as to what the answer will be from Thrustmaster?
    I'd be very surprise if they come back and say..."Yes, we have noticed a high failure rate". Option two might be your only one.
    The T500 with a good set of load cell pedals is not a bad plan.
    Sure! the TX, T300 etc start at a lower cost but by the time you add pedals and an add-on rim, you'd exceeded the cost of the T500.
    As to smoothness... I've never felt any real 'notchiness' in my own setup.
    What has happened a few times, was the screws in my F458 rim working loose and causing a bit of looseness.
    That slop can become amplified as you go over imperfections in the track's surface and feel like knocking.
    That's easily remedied with a few drops of loctite on the three rim to wheel adapter screws.

19. Bassman

Bassman Registered

I agree. It is sad that we expect such a low level from companies these days. By calling the company I can at least judge their reaction to see if I want to buy any of their products. These wheels are getting expensive enough that they need to last longer than the usual 1 year tech warranty to be worth the investment.

20. Bassman

Bassman Registered

Update: I called Thrustmaster about the TX458 hardware complaints and they said the wheel had issues when it was first released. They have issued firmware updates through the end of 2014 and addressed hardware manufacturing. The rep told me to make sure to buy new (recent) stock from a large retailer like Amazon to ensure to get the latest and greatest. From the company's point of view, the wheel has been fixed and no issues should be had going forward with existing game titles.

Good to know.