AMD FlipQueueSize_SET reg entry

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by speed1, Feb 21, 2015.

1. speed1

speed1 Banned

Ah ok i was typing and didn't saw your post.

Understand. How you can see the diff is maybe not with a performance boost but visual input lag.

I usually pull the steering wheel fastly left and right and it reduced the lag for me, as the overall performance is great with my settings on my machine. as well.

I do realize that everything under. 90+ fps leads to a stutter fest in rf2 or at least isn't as fluid as with greater fps.

I also do feel the diff while driving with or without the reg entry.

What i can't say is wether the value has a different effect on diff hardware. Maybe you should try diff values.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2015
  2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Since I switched to a top of the line AMD card, I have stutters. Had no stutters with NVIDIA card (still a decent one), even though overall FPS was lower. Everything else identical.

Are you saying this reg entry will reduce or eliminate stutters? I don't perceive any input lag, so won't fiddle to fix a non-existent problem.

3. speed1

speed1 Banned

Marc i'm not sure if it eliminates stutter but it reduces the input lag for me, what ofc could be due to my old cpu.

The background stutter i get rid of with giving the sys some freedom by reducing the gfx settings and not using fps cap or any sync mode. I'm quite happy with the result and am happy not beeing a gfx junkie.

Maybe it's due to my old eyes but it is cheap and gives the devs freedom. :)

4. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

whats your card?

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

R9 290x

6. speed1

speed1 Banned

Hi Marc,

i'm using the 290 non X with a 290X bios on, which didn't unlocks shaders but allows me to have controle over the power limit and core voltage with MSI Afterburner, which is untouched apart from the Power Limit, the i have set to +50%, and the card performs well.

I would be curious to know if you have tested the gfx settings step by step, at least if you ever tryed to start with the lowest settings possible, and if you still get stutter than. Next would be intresting to know how it performs with replay record off, which sometimes can cause stutter as well if the data transfer is to slow.

I also don't use any sync mode but aim at 90-120 fps on triples without Multiview in use. I'm not that sensible about the stretched sideviews and gfx at all, because i'm to fast for image sex :p , and my 24" monitors are far to small for anything else than a flat view, what isn't a real problem for me, but i hate stutter and hick ups as well.

It shouldn't be a real problem to get rf2 fluid on a single screen, provided everything is in shape. Maybe you have to accept that the machine has not enough power for stutter free gaming experience in combination with your settings, or it is due to the multicore code the seems to take place in the last build, i don't know, but you should try all possibilities as well as the reg entry, which you can simply delete when it doesn't change anything for you, what i doubt is really the case that you at least have no input lag. I more have the feeling you are not able to see or feel it, because you also seem to like strong ffb settings with your T500RS which isn't really capable to represent high torque levels without to colide effects imho. ;)

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Had zero stuttering for years with NVIDIA. Now have very minor stuttering whenever there is a quick change in FPS--either up or down. It's borderline as to whether it's a minor annoyance versus a real annoyance. I do get the pause due to the replay recording, but I assumed that's a Build 930 issue. Haven't touched replay settings since Day 1 of rF2.

And yes, the stuttering is still there on settings so low I wouldn't ever dream of using them they are so ugly. I suspected it was due to the AMD supersampling (which I also always used with NVIDIA), but no.

I am using the MSI card, so maybe you could PM me with any particular hardware or control panel settings I should try specific to the card. Much appreciated.

8. speed1

speed1 Banned

Understand and i really would like to help you but there is always a difference between systems and i'm running out of ideas here. The only thing i may do diff in usage is that i set AF and AA settings in the CCC and the next would be the power limit +50 in the MSI afterburner.

It also can be a specific rf2 or AMD driver related issue which isn't impossible because both are may not evolved to the limit, as the AMD omega driver is the first and last release since december 2014 and rf2 constantly a building side.

I wished i could do more for you.

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Stutter is there whether you use CCC or in-sim graphics settings.

I assume, like it is 99% of the time, a combination of ISI and AMD programming changes will eventually get rid of it.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

- Press ctrl-alt-del and close/shutdown CCC.exe and MOM.exe. You don't need those running, and closing them won't affect anything even if you have custom graphics settings configured in CCC.

- Make sure Windows is running in "High Performance" mode (power plan settings in control panel).

- Make sure the GPU isn't throttling. Use some sort of GPU monitoring software to log your GPU clocks-while-playing to a graph.

- Make sure you have no monitoring software running (including GPU monitoring software) unless doing a clock-check like I mentioned in the previous point

I have one more thing to add that I used to do on every-single AMD card (up-until and including an HD 7970 / R9 280X). I forgot what it's called but it basically disabled some sort of almost-useless power-saver mode/setting in the BIOS. I'll get the details for you guys within the next 6 hours.

11. speed1

speed1 Banned

Marc i think so too and i did have the feeling that the drivers and rf2 builds become more bad again after the first AMD driver the 14.4 which finally had made rf2 playable for the first time after it's release to the public which before was a disaster for us AMD user, what unfortunately seems still or again the case to a part.

I do also have little background stutter here and there, something like microstutter but it luckily isn't a constant scenario and depends on the combi in use and i mean it was already somewhat better.

Thanks for the tips Spinelli. ;)

12. speed1

speed1 Banned

It also is a joke from AMD that we still have to ride with the 09.12.2014 omega driver release.

13. xAcid9

xAcid9 Registered

Are you guys using some sort of frame limiter software?
    I had bad frame drop/stutters when using MSI Afterburner/RTSS frame limiter.

I tried flip queue tweak and don't feel any difference compare to default setting. Gameplay wise rF2 is already smooth with my 7950 since 14.4 driver and i get similar experience with my just recently R9-290x upgrade.

New driver coming this month btw, probably next week and it's a beta driver. D:

14. speed1

speed1 Banned

I don't use any sync or cap mode and i also don't suffer from the constant stutter fest but as said here and there i also get a kind of background microstutter, depending on the combi in use.

As for the Flip Queue test, you all should try to overload your machine, so that it drives at ~ 60 fps what will make it more obvious and easy to catch the diff in lag.

15. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Reference R9 290 here,no stutters,everything on maxed/high.
    No CCC tweaks just using rF's AA etc on a 32"TV@1360x768(default res for TV,anything else is blurry)

rF2 crashed all the time for me and come to that so did rF1.
    But 3D mark and other graphic tests did not,although they all induced the same temps,mid 90's,so I was frustrated and baffled......

Apparently a lot of R9's suffered throttling with heat so they bought out a 'performance' bios.
    Performance my asp,they just increased temp threshold a bit which had bugger all effect.

I use MSIAfterburner now but just to control fan speed and no more crashes.
    Card now runs mid 60's which is 30c less :eek: ,tad noisier but well worth it,at least for me.

Can you hear your cards fan ramp up when running rF2 and what temps are you getting?

16. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

New AMD driver coming this week. 15.3

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

are there any release notes yet? I'm desperate to see if Crossfire support for Far Cry 4 is finally in!

18. xAcid9

xAcid9 Registered

If i'm not mistaken, will be release on the 19th.
    The only thing they reveal is that the driver will support Freesync.
    Did you try VSR?

Nope, my card fan is very silent. Aftermarket cooler btw. :p

19. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

My card is a reference design and looks like this.......

264o_290x.jpg

@Marc Collins what PSU do you have?

20. xAcid9

xAcid9 Registered

Watercool that leaf blowerthang. :p