Flickering/flashing mirrors. Still no fix?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by bigsilverhotdog, Feb 20, 2015.

1. bigsilverhotdog

bigsilverhotdog Registered

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/11226-rfactor-2-rff1-mod-flickering-cockpit-mirrors

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/10552-mirrors-flickering

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/7749-Flashing-rear-view-mirrors-(car-mounted-only)

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/6867-Blinking-side-mirrors

As far back as 2012 apparently, clearly noted by dev, and still not fixed? Personally I've had this problem ever since I purchased the game in 2013, and ever since I switched to 6040x1080 Surround it is a simply game breaking problem. Near constant mirror flashing that changes based on angles and geometric motion. To have random flashing is bad, to have flashing that reacts to your driving is MADDENING.

I haven't tried changing drivers yet (GTX 980, 347.09) because all other games are perfectly normal, and RF2 runs great (constant vsync'd 60fps with most everything maxed out, including HDR) except for this specific mirror flashing... and of course the constant random crashing.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2015
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Are those the best reference threads you could find? They really don't add up to much.. the only 'dev' input I can see there is Tim saying he's reported it, in September 2012. Most of the threads you've linked to are showing content-specific issues.

If it's a widespread problem I think you should able to find more current and specific threads on it; I believe you, that you've had this problem for 2 years, but why only now register and post about it?

All that aside, does this happen for you on all content or specific cars/tracks?

As for 'constant random crashing' I'm not sure that sounds like a widespread issue either.

3. bigsilverhotdog

I get that the official RF2 forum will be packed with diehard ISI defenders and apologists, but that's just ridiculous.

A) Yes, they are the best threads I could find in 10 minutes of searching before I posted this post. I didn't register to post about this, I registered to complain about the crashing, this is just another issue that I've had annoying me for years and I figured "since I'm already registered, I might as well". It takes a lot to get me to complain about a game. I'm generally quiet and patient. I'm too busy playing games to bitch about them. Usually. Besides, if this is a minor or previously solved problem then the answer should be quick and simple at this point, as clearly the problem is not new or unknown. It's not even unofficial content or mods, as my game is almost entirely 100% stock content apart from INI tweaking. Maybe some ini setting will help? Nothing I've found so far does.

B) Don't know how content specific it is, as to date I have mitigated the problem by simply removing the mirrors from my FOV. By driving with a very restricted FOV in Surround I can't see the mirrors at all, therefore I can't see any flickering, and the problem has followed me through reinstalls, 3 different video cards, new versions of the game, and tons of different visual/ini settings. That's how common and game breaking the problem has been for me: I've switched to using no mirrors + button mapped to look_behind and I've just gotten used to that. No kidding. Lucky I don't race in leagues or I'd really be screwed.

C) There are at least 5 threads on the first page (yup, 5, I just counted) in RF2 Technical describing the driver loops and crashing for nvidia users. I'm not even going to bother linking. You can read. Probably.

edit: I tried to edit the OP to remove the first two links and the entire OP vanished. You were correct about two of the links (the first two, actually), they were not about this problem and should not have been included in this thread. I didn't double check what I was copypasting earlier. My mistake.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2015
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Your entire post had a "this isn't good enough" slant to it, instead of actually asking for help. Your only other post on this forum turned into a "I hate this system" rant. I don't think I unreasonably questioned your approach, and you're labelling me a diehard defender/apologist and questioning my ability to read.

You're posting like a troll. You can hardly expect to be treated like anything else, IMHO.

5. bigsilverhotdog

Because it isn't good enough. Several things about RF2 have not been good enough for a long, long time. Thankfully one, the horrid UI, has finally been getting overhauled of late. FINALLY. And I have every right to be an angry customer and express my feelings and that is exactly what I did. I wasn't being offensive in either of my posts, just exasperated. My position and posts have not been unreasonable or troll-ish is any way whatsoever, they're just coming from someone who's waited for ages for Normal Service to Resume -- it's not like I'm new to ISI or rfactor here, give me a little credit -- and when it keeps NOT RESUMING one tends to get annoyed after a time. Even with such a great simulator developer as ISI.

Tell you what, I'll agree not to call you an apologist if you'll agree to not call me a troll, because frankly I don't think either one of us is either.

If you are yet another apologist then I'll expect further antagonism, flames, and nonsense. In that case carry on.

Now, can we get back on topic here? I'd love to go back to driving fast without crashing or flickering. Thanks.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sure. Can you say specifically which content this is on? And if it's "all", then say what "all" is :)