Triple screen better support now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rwkeating, Feb 17, 2015.

1. rwkeating

rwkeating Registered

I re-installed Windows a while back and never put rFactor back on. I was going to do that now but thought I'd see if they have improved (or I guess you could say added) support for triple screens. I know triple screens work but I was looking for boarder correction and angle settings from within rFactor. Is it there now?

Thanks

2. coops

coops Banned

bug fix = Fixed monitor window FOV issues. so other than this no.

3. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

BUT if using tripples without MultiView, the aspect of both monitor and mirrors are OFF, very stretchy...

4. jonrarit

jonrarit Registered

I think there might have been some work elsewhere to improve multiview.....I use triples but have never managed a decent framerate with multiview so have left it off until build 930 where I can now get an almost steady 60FPS albeit the card is working very hard. Without multiview I can get a steady 60FPS but the card is working at about 50%.

I have my max framerate capped to 63FPS

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Turning multiview off is saying to the game, "I'm putting my screens in a straight line", in which case the FOV might be wrong but the side screens won't look overly stretched. They'll just be distant.

You'll get people with triple screens giving all sorts of opinions on what angle they should be, how you should line them up, what looks 'right'... with multiview off the only 'correct' way is a straight line. Of course pretty much no one does that, people do what feels good for them and that's fine. But the 'stretching' is a direct consequence.

6. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I'm fully aware of the side screen/mirror streching effect, Lazza, but I don't think it ever effected the actual ASPECT of the center mirror AND the monitor (which is pretty much the center screen)

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ah, sorry. Might have misinterpreted that :eek:

8. rwkeating

rwkeating Registered

It is a shame that they appear to be ignoring the triple screen users. rFactor2 has been in development too long to not have this implemented.

In the past I would have to re-arrange my monitors to accommodate rFactor2. I just got into Assetto Corsa. They have full triple monitor support. Now that my monitors are set (physically) I don't want to have to rearrange them for rFactor2. I hope some day they implement proper 3 screen support. Come on guys. rFactor2 is a top sim. It shouldn't be lacking in this area.

9. Depco

Depco Registered

Am I missing something here? What are you using to run the triple screen? SoftTH? AMD or NVidia card? If you're having that much trouble it sounds like the issue is with your Windows setup of the triple screens.

I used to run softTH and found it to be kind of a pain in the butt. However, oncei got my eyefinity properly set up I didn't need softTH anymore and triple screens run perfectly well.

10. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Do you have a bezel or angle correction for your screens in rFactor2 like in Assetto Corsa?

11. rwkeating

rwkeating Registered

Depco, I am running triple screens with a single NVidia card.

Andregee, I have not yet reinstalled rFactor2 yet so I don't know if they have bezel correction, but from the replies I am guessing that they do not.

12. Andregee

Andregee Registered

It was a sarcastic question because nearly everybody knows that there is no kind of this correction available in RF2.

So yeah i can´t unterstand this statement

13. stonec

stonec Registered

Technically there is angle correction, with multiview ON it puts sidescreen angles to 45 degrees. With OFF it's 0 degrees.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The multiview offset isn't set to 45 degrees. It depends on your horizontal FOV, which depends on your selected vertical FOV and screen aspect ratio (but isn't exactly proportionate).

15. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

FOV prevents the fisheye effect. Multi view introduces a monitor angle it is 45 degrees and cannot be changed. Those are two separate things.

Haven't you noticed that in other sims you get an angle setting AND a FOV setting? They have to known what angle to "point the side cameras" as it were. That is independent of FOV which would be analogous to aperture on a camera. FOV has to do with how large your windows are into the virtual world (i.e.: your monitor height and width). The goal is to have the virtual cameras mounted right where your head is and pointed at the direct angle AND only showing you enough of the virtual world to prevent it looking like a go pro video.

Rfactor2 does not have adjustable monitor angle. They also don't have bezel correction. They do have a multi view setting that assumes three monitors at a 45 degree angle. They don't have any built in calculator for screen size. You are left to guess on the vertical FOV (iracing's is horizontal FOV so you can't just use that one). Since there is no bezel correction, in windows you need to create the virtual resolutions for bezel correction (in my case with 3x 1920x1080 monitors this is 6080x1080). Then set rfactor2 to that resolution. Unfortunately these settings sometimes hide some of the UI elements. They just introduced a nice setting to compensate but i haven't figured out how to use that yet. I'm hoping better triple screen support is coming in the future. Oh and LOVE the new UI :)

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If people can't get RF2 or any ISI-engine based game to look good with triples, then those people are running an extremely wrong/unrealistic FOV, or out of whack monitor angles, or an out of whack distance between their eyes and monitor.

The only thing that needs fixing/adding, is a simple in-game bezel adjustment so that we don't have to do the B.A. in the GPU control panel. This way the game will be aware if the resolution and can rezise the U.I. to match, then again, is the current core-U.I. even capable of that? Lol ;)

17. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

I personally have my side monitors set at about 30* angle, I feel most comfortable with that setup. Each to it's own I guess, I saw rigs with monitors set like 90 degrees. Anyway, multiview distorts the image a bit more that I would like so I play with it OFF. And also because of broken SLI I've chose to sacrifice multiview rather than HDR.

But what I would like to see is more options to have to choose how multiview would be rendered. For example having 3 options to choose for multiview render, all three rendered at different angles to see what suits best. At least that, if we can't have a tool/plugin to set it like Assetto Corsa does. Right now we have it either ON or OFF.

18. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

When I built my rig I first started with FOV and where I wanted to be, below is a dwg of my idea on how to setup my monitors. I wanted to be 90 degrees off the side monitors with them being 45 degrees off the center monitor. Where the two lines projected from the side monitors intersected would be my eyes. This works very good in rf2, everything appears straight and lined up properly. My eyes are about 22" from the the center screen as of now and I love the immersion. I recommend running something like this if you can.

[​IMG]

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If it was hardcoded at 45°, and your horizontal-FOV were 30°, you'd have a gap between views. If your horizontal-FOV were 60° you'd have duplicated areas. This doesn't happen :p

It's not separately adjustable, so to get it right (for your chosen FOV) you have to move your screens to where rF2 wants them instead of being able to adjust rF2 to suit your screens. I know this.

Basically I agree with everything being said except that the side screens are drawn based on 45° :D

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If the image is distorted, you have the following 3 options:

1. Adjust the in-game FOV
    2. Adjust the angle of the monitors
    3. Adjust the distance between your eyes and the monitors

You have those 3 options in order to get an absolutely perfect multiview picture. I can't imagine anyone not being able to adjust at-least 1 of those.

UPDATE: If you're using a 100% 1:1 w/ real-life in-game FOV (use a FOV calculator to find this), then I believe [/I]that is when the ISI multiview system uses a "locked" 45 degree angle system for the outside monitors.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2015