Random rF2 Freezes destroying the fun

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Satangoss, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Computer specs:

• Asus Maximus VII Mobo
    • i7-4790K @ 4.4 Ghz (factory turbo mode)
    • 16Gb RAM @ 2133 Mhz
    • EVGA 980 GTX SC (x2 SLI, using single GPU for rF2 specifically), Graphics Clock = 1240 Mhz
    • PU 1200W
    • Thrustmaster TH8 Gear Stick
    • Thrustmaster T500RS Steering Wheel
    • Fanatec Clubsport pedals V2
    • All disks are Solid-State

Software involved:

1. Windows 8.0 x64
    2. rFactor 2 910 Build x64
    3. Thrustmaster T500RS Firmware v43
    4. nVIDIA 347.09 Drivers
    5. No anti-vírus or other stuff running in background

Other Info:

1. rF2 Installation verifying: Install has been checked. All critical simulation files passed verification.
    2. Reinstalled driver using "clean installation" in nVIDIA installer.
    3. Windows registry checked for error.
    4. No virus or malwares found (MalwareBytes scan).
    5. No freezes or crashes in other several games, including other racing simulators.
    6. No in-game stuttering or low FPS even starting from the back of the grid.
    7. Maximum CPU temp: 75ºC, Maximum GPU temp: 64ºC, Maximum GPU Usage: 97%, Maximum Video Memory Usage: 2200 Mb

rF2 Settings

• 29 AI cars
    • Both reflections settings on High, however software may crash with they lowered.
    • Opponents: High
    • Shadows: Max, blur optimal.
    • Aside those, all maxed.
    • AA x 4, 1920 x 1080 p @ 60 Hz
    • Number of visible headlights capped on 10 in PLR file.
    • Switches: +fullproc +trace=1000 (can't find the trace.txt file tough)
    • Replays folder cleaned.

Symptom:

• rF2's image randomly freezes when under heavy GPU / CPU demands.
    • It have not happened during practice seasons yet.
    • Usually when YFs (several cars on the line), night or raining condition.
    • It happened once exactly when I collide heavily into an AI car.
    • It doesn't appear to be car or track related (it may apparently occur with all of them)
    • Sometimes the sound and/or steering wheel keep working, sometimes they don't.
    • In few specific cases, rF2 was clearly working: the car was responding to my inputs according to the sound, force-feedback was working ok but no image.

Possible Guesses

Nvidia driver appears to be restarting during running however:
    • It doesn't restart in other games
    • It doesn't show any message
    • Alt+Tab works correctly (but can't go back to rF2, only to focus other programs without problems)
    • T500rs is attached to computer through a 5 meters powered USB extension. Even so, I got some disconnects of steering whell in the middle of the race, screwing up the race (no reconnect anymore even restart plugins)

Questions

1. Is there a rF2 trace log? Where is it address?
    2. Is it possible to trace nVidia driver in order to have a TXT indicating some error?
    3. Why my EVGA Precision says "1380 Mhz" Clock for my GPU when its factory clock is 1240? I've never overclocked it.
    4. Last but not least, any tips on it? Can't finish a one hour race anymore, let alone endurances.

rFactor 2 Config.ini

Code:
    //[[gMa1.002f (c)2014    ]] [[            ]]
    [COMPONENTS]
    LanguagesFile=GAME.DIC
    CPURating=5
    SystemRAM=16324
    VideoRAM=4084
    ObjDetail=3
    TexDetail=3
    VideoGUID=D7B71E3E-5080-11CF-9749-8F091CC2C435
    VideoDriver=0
    VideoMode=55
    VideoRefresh=1
    WindowedMode=0
    Borderless=0
    RunBenchmarks=0
    FSAA=35
    VSync=0
    UsePostFX=1
    UseHDRProcess=1
    ShaderLevel=0
    SubViews=0
    WidescreenUI=1
    WidescreenHUD=1
    CustomVidRes=(0, 0)
    MinimumVidRes=(800, 600)
    MaximumVidRes=(8000, 6000)

[INSTALL]
    InstallFrom=
    InstallTo=

[AUTOLAUNCH]
    Mode=Off
    LaunchTime=600

[VERSION]
    Version=-1.000000

rFactor2 Content Inventory @ fev 15 2015 15:50:16
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

All mods and components verified.

Appendix:

I pretty much second this issues, the time-frame 40 - 60 minutes for crashing is very alike.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
  2. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Ok, I found a number of W8 registers like this, which are probably related to my issue. I'm researching the issue and will post here as a repository if anyone else face this problem.

Code:
    	<ProblemSignatures>
    		<EventType>BEX64</EventType>
    		<Parameter0>rFactor2.exe</Parameter0>
    		<Parameter1>1.9.1.0</Parameter1>
    		<Parameter2>54935a1f</Parameter2>
    		<Parameter3>DashMeterPlugin_x64.dll_unloaded</Parameter3>
    		<Parameter4>0.0.0.0</Parameter4>
    		<Parameter5>54b1396c</Parameter5>
    		<Parameter6>000000018000169c</Parameter6>
    		<Parameter7>c0000005</Parameter7>
    		<Parameter8>0000000000000008</Parameter8>
    	</ProblemSignatures>

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You haven't listed plugins. Try disabling all 3rd party plugins and see if it still happens with the same consistency.

4. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Yeah, this is the next step. In any cases, they're:

- DashMeterPlugin_x64.dll
    - SpotterPlugin_x64.dll
    - TrackIR_rF2_Plugin_x64.dll (vanilla?)
    - WeatherControlPlugin_x64.dll (vanilla?)

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

TrackIR is standard, don't think weather control is.

6. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Neither do I.

Just updated to 930 Build and going to run a test.

7. jonrarit

jonrarit Registered

When you say it "freezes" is a complete freeze where you either need to reboot or ctrl+alt+del or is a micro freeze for a second but the game then resumes?

8. Dino Paolini

Dino Paolini Registered

If it's a gpu driver restart like you said, here is another topic about that http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/23641-GPU-driver-restart
    I suppose it has to do with Nvidia in some way, since this is the common thing between all the guys having these problems so far.

I hope it gets recognized by someone as a problem at some point and not just treated like an user-error (that someone having to be nvidia I guess?)

When a combination has this problem for me it's also usually in about 30-60 minutes.
    For some reason it does depend on which content I use; when I did a season with the FISI the problem was very bad, now that I drive other cars this problem is (temporarely?) gone.

9. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Completely freezes the image, but sometimes the program keeps running in background once the steering wheel and the sound keeps alive. But the image never goes back.

I'm reading the thread you pointed. I'm also very sure is a Nvidia driver stuff because CPU, keyboard, steering wheel and offboard sound card very often keeps working.

10. bigsilverhotdog

bigsilverhotdog Registered

This affects me constantly even with all plugins completely disabled (even deleted). Sometimes it goes for hours without a crash, then twice in the next hour. It's very bizarre and unrelated to anything else happening on my system. I'm fairly certain it is related to the NVIDIA driver but I'm going to blame RF2 over NVIDIA because I play literally dozens of different games every week and only RF2 ever hangs up on me like this. I doubt it is a game crash per se, it seems like a driver loop/hang because of something the game is calling. NVIDIA's drivers have been rock solid (minor exceptions aside) for well over a decade now, and unless someone offers both proof of the cause and a fix (that can be effectuated outside of RF2's working environment) then I'm going to continue blaming the game.

Win7 x64 / GTX 980 / Surround @ 6040x1080

11. Panigale

Panigale Banned

I had a very similar problem with my old 6 series Nvidia GPU. I ran it at probably high 90% usage, after 20-40 mins it would freeze. Only happened with rF2, could usually ctrl-alt-delete and shut down rf.

I reduced FPS max setting in player file (less stress on my GPU), reduced AI, and made sure to launch rF2 as admin. I then went and updated everything I could, including my SSD system settings. Not ideal debug as I have no idea what helped but I didn't have the issue anymore.

FWIW - The 347 Nvidia driver is not great for rF2, at least my experience. (Others have said the same.) I had odd FPS drops and GPU was getting unhappy. Went back to 344 (on setup disk with my GPU) and working like a champ again.

BTW 75C for your CPU is too hot. I have an i7-4770K @ 4.2 and it idles at 31C. Under full load testing it peaks in the low 50s. I don't know if 75C is hot enough to start CPU thermal throttling but I suspect it is getting close. Lower the OC on your CPU or consider a liquid cooling setup.

Best of luck with this. It is frustrating and there isn't a lot of help available.

12. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Thanks Panigale.

Please have a look at a sample of the problem:

The software is obviously working, but sound and image are still. Unfortunately Devil's Cannyon 4790K works hot, no way. But it could reach 90º fine, so I think it's really GPU related.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2015
  13. Dino Paolini

Dino Paolini Registered

Has anyone found a solution ever?

I had it not happen for about half a year, but then I tried some prototypes on VLM Le Mans and I had a guaranteed gpu driver recovery every 60min or so, so the driver problems are still there.
    The previous occasion I had this problem was also with a Prototype (Rebellion Lola) at VLM Sebring.

I'm really dissappointed that there is no solution even though there are a lot of people now having the exact same problem with Nvidia cards.

14. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

I had the same thing, but I was running MSI Afterburner. After uninstalling that, these issues disappeared.

Not that I know whether you're running it or not.

15. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Sorry for the delay, I didn't see the response.

Well I can tell you that 90 degrees on the CPU is way too hot, and it will thermal throttle at that temp. I have a 4770K, also a haswell, so there is something wrong with your cooling or how you are overclocking it.

But for the freeze, yes, that is usually the GPU. What I've experienced with rF2 and Nvidia GPU load is if you run your GPU maxed, i.e. anything over 90% usage for the duration of your race it will at some point freeze or black screen. I've had multiple cards do this with rF2. It will usually show some sign of throttling, if you watch the FPS, it will get worse or more erratic prior to the shutdown. Black screen, screen freeze, etc.

Drivers also play a role. Driver 350.xx helped in my case, and for rF2 I enable max performance in the Nvidia control panel as a preference.

Bottom line is you really need to watch what your GPU is doing with a tool like afterburner. I never had afterburner cause a freeze, unless I was overclocking with it and finding limits. Run a five lap race and check the peak usage and temps and figure out the avg. If you set things up so the GPU is Under 90% usage 90% of the time you should be just fine.

@Dino, likely that proto is causing heavy GPU load, only way to know is to monitor. Please let us know what you find. Cheers.

16. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I've discovered this issue is 99% related with VLM Le Mans too. Couldn't replicate in other tracks anymore, but in Le Mans is a crash fest.

CPU is around 80º max now.

17. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Your CPU temp is fine at 80º,what about your GPU?
    In it's default guise my R9 290's fan does not increase speed with heat.
    It will lock up the pc when getting to around 90º+
    Speedfan let's me create a specific correlation between heat and speed.
    It keeps my GPU around 60º when running rF2 and other games.
    Otherwise it would run around 90º then lock up.

I was using MSIAfterburner which also worked but I was also getting lock ups so changed to speedfan.

18. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I'm going to check the GPU temp sensitivity on this issue although I'm not replicating those driver's freezing in other tracks than Le Mans currently (even in more GPU demanding tracks)

19. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Ok, my GTX 980 is around 75 - 80ºC after some minutes and stay there - around 78 - 80º almost all the time. Now I'm getting this issue in other tracks around, this last time was in Sebring, and I have the hardware error again:

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
    OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1046

Extra information about the problem
    BCCode: 141
    BCP1: FFFFFA8015B294D0
    BCP2: FFFFF880065A26BC
    BCP3: 0000000000000000
    BCP4: 0000000000001318
    OS Version: 6_2_9200
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1

I got another system halt in RaceRoom too, but none in pCars or Asseto Corsa so far. I have two GTX 980, and both produces the same error, it's unlikely both of them be physically damaged I guess.

20. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Just detected what is crashing. It's not temperature nor the Memory usage, is the GPU usage.

Everytime GPU usage reaches exactly 100% the driver crashes and rF2 quits to OS.

The Usage keeps between 90-95% during 50 minutes or so and eventually reaches 100%, and then the hardware error occurs. In Le Mans track it occurs very quickly, few minutes (probably because bad LOD out values on the track objects, unnecessarily keeping in memory)

Based on it I'll try to figure out why it happens, if someone has a clue please tell me.