Would you pay for the laser scanned Nordschleife from rFPro for rF2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Robert Gödicke, Feb 12, 2015.

?

Would you pay for this laser scanned Nordschleife?

1. No, I wouldn't pay for that content.

83 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Yes, up to 15$.

73 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. Yes, more than 15$.

72 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

I think it's actually quite the other way around. Casual simracers/gamers will probably care even less about this track (takes too long to learn, no gravel pits makes it even harder to learn, one mistake and you have to crawl around a 20km long section with a damaged car at worst). I have been to a couple of race tracks, and all I can say is that nothing compares to this thing in my opinion. Other tracks are just that - racetracks. The Nordschleife is different in some way. The whole atmosphere, the mood, that really demanding layout. It's the fact that you are constantly fighting. If it isn't an opponent, it's the track itself when you are driving on the edge. That feeling when you are permanently on the limit for a whole lap is just completely different on this track compared to others once you are very familiar with the track. And whoever says you can't have nice fights on the Nordschleife: You've raced against the wrong people. :)

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

rF2 life = $107 Australian ( $83 US)

For one track, now you just being silly.

3. boxer

boxer Registered

Rather have Mosport+Laguna Seca+Spa+Suzuka+Road America+Mount Panorama
    but if it hast to be a long track then I'll take IOM :)

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

The sad thing is people are willing to pay and there are not enough experienced and highly talented modders to do it.

Sadder thing is someone no name modder pops out a really nice GT/pCARS, whatever converted to AC and charged for it they would snap it up !@!

lmao

5. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Don't underestimate my bank account! Lol

Just kidding, but certainly I'd pay a good cash for a decent Le Mans version. Ironically the best I've driven is the pCars version. Sadly the cars physics didn't follow the track quality.

6. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

SMS with pCARS is really correcting the content concerns from previous Shift titles. The tracks that are being finalized for base release are astounding, funnily enough Imola that used to be a benchmark is not even near the mid-pack of "dead-on or supremely close to dead-on layout" virtual representations the game has. I am a bit bummed the game will be a bit of a more forgiving sim, likely equivalent to what playing GTR2 today feels like but a little more advanced and having to take care of the car's bits, but I am in it for the career experience and tracks. A 2015 edition of GTR2 is good enough in my books. While they do have a few tracks modelled off laser scan data, the quality of the work proves what Tuttle said. Laser scan isn't the only method for accurately recreating something if the surveying and research is good enough, the artists can recreate the subtle camber changes and bumps where needed, etc.

7. boxer

boxer Registered

Paul you reading way too much into my comment...
    Personally I’m more than happy with the current version. (MY PERSONAL OPINION) a laser scanned version won’t improved on anything on current version as far MY enjoyment is concerned. Having never watched a real race on this track the accuracy is not that important to me/I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

Plus part of the question in this post is do we want to see Paying ad-don's from ISI hence my response.
    A one off (Paying) track is a terrible idea as far I'm concerned... it targets an narrow audience. A bundle of content that targets a wider group makes far more sense to me.

8. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Alright, it's fun, good graphics (excellent actually), wonderful forcefeedback, great tracks (I wonder how they can reproduce so minutiously tracks they weren't laser scanned) but very forgiving physics. Their Le Mans is a piece of art, but when you get used to rF2 physics is quite demanding be happy driving pCars. At least they got rid of boat effect on their ****.

9. Skan

Skan Registered

I am glad that it was said that ISI is not into selling content.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya I take blame for what Paul is saying. I got a little dramatic with my reply, not to mention I was a little off-topic. I'll edit it into a straight answer with no drama.

11. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

same here... there is no way in the world I would pay for extra content and possibly not be able to race a mate who cant afford it

12. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Voted no because I think the version we already have is enough. And I'm also pro fantasy tracks. It's the racing experience that matters for me. Doesn't matter if it represents something real. That said, I might pay for some track packs, whether real or fantasy.

13. Daytona 675

Daytona 675 Registered

+1 bad times for many domestic economies.

14. FatCity

FatCity Registered

I like the video and there is a Monaco vid as well which looks even better, I would probably pay for the Monaco track if I could guarantee that it would look the same on my PC as it does in the video.
    Personally, I don't think we need long tracks as much as we need the 2 to 4 k tracks ( in length ).
    RF2 is a major online sim and there's nothing worse than having 10 cars on a 20 k track, as someone said it doesn't take much to be lonely. I think we need tracks that are long enough to give you the speed and skill but also to give us backmarkers, to provide that simulated experience.
    If someone was going to put in enough effort to make this track ( RF Pro Nords ), then I would much prefer something like Sandown or a scratch Laguna Seca or similar.

And besides, the Nords we have now is pretty good, isn't it?

15. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I see no difference between paymods of independent modders and pay-DLC´s from ISI.
    I respect ISI´s decision not to offer pay-DLC´s, as it doesn´t make any sense for them anyways.

But I would be glad if there would be a company who offers (scanned, licensed) content for rF2!

16. stonec

stonec Registered

It's just a matter of financing model. ISI finances development with yearly online cost instead of DLCs, yet surely no one here refuses to race online simply because somebody else can't afford it.

Imo it would have been a more flexible financing option to have payware DLCs instead of pay-multiplayer, more degrees of freedom to decide the price and hence get better licensed content, but it's their choice and too late to change now I guess. Current multiplayer is mainly for leagues and I still can't see what value it adds for a random online player to pay for it, still same old cumbersome joining process, no ISI servers, etc. The recent ISI content is stunning and I can see plenty of more reasons why someone would pay for that.

17. Domi

Domi Registered

But you pay for a multiplayer service that provides pretty much nothing. I'm with stonec here, it makes more sense to charge for certain DLCs rather than for the (current) online service.

18. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

For me this topic is pointless... If the track is very accurate but have a old look i won't pay for it. If the track its not Laser scanned but its very well made and with good graphics I'll certainly pay for it but not the price 15$. With twice that value I buy a game or more...

Track that Tosch and DJC have been modding, for me its already a very good version to race.

19. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

I'd imagine ISI had a list of tracks they planned to develop before the sim's initial release.
    The Pleclair/ Tosch /DJC's version is going in the right direction for me.
    Obviously, ISI can't do it for every modder but....
    Given Nordschleife's 'draw' for many RF2 potential purchasers...and given that ISI has stated they're not planning a release, maybe giving Tosch and DJC a 'heads-up' to track-breaking changes may not be a bad idea.
    Keeping a continuously working version is not necessarily a bad thing.
    Heavily sought-after content, not available in other sims is always a plus toward new sales.
    It can't be considered competition, since ISI aren't releasing it.
    Giving modeling advice without actually touching the content itself, keeps ISI out of that commercial shady 'grey' licensing area, since Tosch and DJC don't work for ISI.
    Either way...we still don't need a laser-scanned Nords.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
  20. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

"We had over 30 artists working on it for 13,000 man-hours. It's just an incredible effort to build this thing."
    John Wendl

That was a quote from one of the devs who worked on Forza 5 who did their laser scanned nurb. so it's good news to me ISI doesnt' shut down their track team for years to work on one track.