Upgrading to a GTX 970?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by hexagramme, Feb 12, 2015.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Also the MSI is a bit smaller in size, which is nice. :cool:

2. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

Speed is in the Mother Board! If you're not using a "gaming/enthuseist" motherboard you're never going to see the benefits of the high end video cards/CPUs/RAM.

That being said; You should have no problems at all finding a GTX-970 card for well under your budget limit.

I would go with ASUS do to great customer support (in case of RMA).

Hope this helps,

Bryan

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Thank you very much for chiming in, mate. :)

I'm using a ASUS motherboard, but not quite sure which model it is. I guess I will have to open up the cabinet to check that out. Or perhaps I can see it in the BIOS?

Anyway, I think what I have should be fairly capable. Nonetheless I will rapport back when I know my exact model. :)

4. Mee

Mee Registered

Everyone here is saying "no problems running max on a GTX970". I don't agree about that.
    I have a GTX970 (albeit with an i5 2300 so running on PCI-E 2.0), but running in a VEC-race I'm not running at max settings. 30+ cars on track and a FPS-heavy track will probably result in dips under 60 fps. Reducing some FPS-heavy settings to high (like shadows) helps this a lot, but it's wrong to say a GTX970 will run flawlessly at max at 60+ fps.

5. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Thank you for offering your opinion, that not everything in necessarily fine and dandy just because of a good GPU. The fps you're getting, is that primarily down to the CPU you're running I wonder?

6. TechAde

TechAde Registered

It'll more than likely be because he's running the GPU in a PCIe 2.0 slot rather than 3.0.